Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A wire and connector came loose under the dash on my son's '02 ZX3 manual shift and now it will not start. Electrical is on - windows, etc work but no crank. Recently replaced the clutch interlock safety switch and the starter.

Apparently his foot hit something and it looks like the connector came with the cable and plug-in. We can't figure out where it came from. No obvious open socket etc.

Maybe a wiring diagram could help track where it goes.

The car was running when the cable fell loose, but would not restart after. Has to be something with the ignition.

Any help appreciated.

·
Registered
980 Posts
A wire and connector came loose under the dash on my son's '02 ZX3 manual shift and now it will not start. Electrical is on - windows, etc work but no crank. Recently replaced the clutch interlock safety switch and the starter.

Apparently his foot hit something and it looks like the connector came with the cable and plug-in. We can't figure out where it came from. No obvious open socket etc.

Maybe a wiring diagram could help track where it goes.

The car was running when the cable fell loose, but would not restart after. Has to be something with the ignition.

Any help appreciated.
Wiring diagram is based on functions not harnesses so it wont help.

Did the engine die while running when the connector fell out or did you shut it off and it just would not crank after? If just no crank is it related to the interlock switch you were working on?

Can you take a pic of the connector and post, or give a better description of the connector - color, number of contacts, etc?

Paul

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Connector/cable fell while running. Stayed running. Would not restart after a stop. When I get a photo or two from my son I will post them. THANKS for the feedback

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Going from memory: a light purple wire, black connector, looked like three blades on the inside BUT....the recepticle housing came off with the connector still clipped on. :( The back of the recepticle had two vertical silver contacts and it obviously clipped into something, but I could not locate where. I looked in and around the fuse box and saw nothing that this would fit into. The wire was only so long and would only reach the inside fuse box and some parts of the steering column. I won't be able to get to the car for pictures until morning. Thanks again.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks very much. The diagram will take some de-coding, but hopefully it will help us figure out where the disconnect is.

·
Registered
160 Posts
it looks like the start inhibit switch

its a normal open circuit.if you make a jumper wire and touch the two contacts the car will start. That is one of the switches on the clutch pedal. Before you buy a switch make the jumper and make sure it starts. Please use caution, make 100% sure the car is not in gear.

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
We replaced one clutch pedal switch already - the one that clips into a bracket and has a plunger that the arm hits when the pedal is depressed. Is there yet another switch? I'll have to take another look. I wonder where it attached? [the wires appear to be red/black] Thanks for the reply. We'll try the jumper with all due caution.

·
Registered
160 Posts
my mistake

We replaced one clutch pedal switch already - the one that clips into a bracket and has a plunger that the arm hits when the pedal is depressed. Is there yet another switch? I'll have to take another look. I wonder where it attached? [the wires appear to be red/black] Thanks for the reply. We'll try the jumper with all due caution.
My mistake, that year only has one. But that is most defenitly a broken switch.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I still have not been over to try the jumper trick yet, but I saw something on the old video that my son found that first led us to replace a faulty clutch pedal switch. I think that maybe our brand new Autozone switch has done broke, as they say. I'll check it out in person, but what is now dangling looks suspiciously like the plug that clicks into the clutch pedal safety switch - show below from that infamous YouTube vid: { I will humbly provide an update if in fact this is what it is....and we missed it first time 'round. :) - Fingers crossed }

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
It was the clutch safety switch that came apart. Three weeks old. Autozone. I could not get it back together, so I rigged a jumper until we can exchange the broken switch for a replacement. Tempted to go OEM this time.

THANKS to all who took time to look and to respond. Even though the answer was right under our noses, my son and I really appreciated the effort.

The person he bought this '02 from fancied himself a "tuner" so I imagine we'll be back here....repeatedly. :) At least they replaced the timing belt about 15K ago and the rebuilt trans still has about a year's warranty left.

thanks again!

·
Registered
980 Posts
Here is the Ford wiring diagram (below). Keep in mind that your vehicle would have a second switch mounted on the pedal bracket and activated by the clutch pedal if the vehicle has cruise control.

FYI the Start Inhibit Switch pn:
Ford F5RZ11A152A
Motorcraft SWE5020

You can get these online for about $30

Good luck
Paul

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks. The new switch that we replaced on the pedal bracket is what came apart. Rather than try another Autozone part made of Chinesium, I'll probably opt for one from the Ford dealer. Right now my temp jumper is working!!

·
Registered
980 Posts
Thanks. The new switch that we replaced on the pedal bracket is what came apart. Rather than try another Autozone part made of Chinesium, I'll probably opt for one from the Ford dealer. Right now my temp jumper is working!!
Dont count on the Ford/Motorcraft switch being American made but they are generally higher quality that aftermarket parts.

You know you could just leave the jumper and forgo the switch as long as you remember to push in the clutch or put the trans in neutral before cranking. Im dating myself but 30 years ago most manual trans cars did not have a clutch interlock.

Good luck
Paul

1 - 20 of 21 Posts