Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Want to add a turbo and worried about the heat and want to be stealthy. Been looking hard at the "STS Turbo" kits(100-140whp gain @ 3-5lbs of boost) and watching you tube vids. Any input pro or con will help.

·
Premium Member
7,498 Posts
Want to add a turbo and worried about the heat and want to be stealthy. Been looking hard at the "STS Turbo" kits(100-140whp gain @ 3-5lbs of boost) and watching you tube vids. Any input pro or con will help.
that much gain on that bit of boost is a lie.

you want stealthy?? get the fswerks kit/

·
I need BOOOOST!!!!!!
6,125 Posts
i think borg warner has a turbo out that has an integrated waste gate and blow off valve that recirculates BOV gas. fab a kit, keep stock body panels, hide the intercooler (paint it black!), use lots of good mufflers in your exhaust and the car will barely make a sound

·
FF Affiliate
31,089 Posts

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
"STS Turbo" kits are a strange setup, putting the turbo at the end of the tailpipe & plumbing to & from the front of the car.

I like the comment about the LONG pipe acting as an intercooler, with optional intercoolers at additional cost (grin).

I think they found a way to get 'turbo lag" back in the vocabulary....

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
[:)]The Good and Bad of Remote Mount Turbo Systems

Below is what STS claims are the benefits of a remote mount setup as taken from their site.[:)]

Benefits of STS Remote-Mounted Turbochargers

Lower underhood temperatures.[:)]No need to worry about melting wires, hoses, or other engine components, as with a front-mounted turbo.

Ease of installation.[:)]STS turbo systems can be installed in about 8 hours with standard tools and average mechanical ability.[:)]

Cooler oil to the turbo.[:)]Cool[:)]oil[:)]is better for both the turbo and engine.

Performance Sound.[:)]The turbo acts as a muffler and sounds like an[:)]aftermarketperformance muffler. Turbo spool and rushing air from the blow-off valve make a unique sound that will turn heads!

No need for major modifications to your vehicle.[:)]STS systems are designed to "bolt-on" to factory mounts.

Increased gas mileage.[:)]Unlike a belt driven supercharger, the turbo utilizes "wasted" energy leaving your tailpipe. Most of our customers get 1-3 mpg increase in gas mileage compared to their original stock mpg numbers.

Converts back to stock in about an hour.[:)]

More room under the hood.[:)]Future repair work or modifications will not require the expense of removing the turbo system to allow access to engine components.

Lowest Intake Air Temps.[:)]Low IAT's equate to more horsepower per pound of boost than any other forced induction option. STS[:)]intake[:)]piping provides built-in intercooling. Add the optional intercooler, and IAT's drop even further.
Approximately 500F lower turbo temperatures.[:)]Eliminates the need for a turbo-timer, which allows the engine to run after the car is shut off in order to cool down the turbo and prevent oil and bearing damage.

Denser exhaust gasses drive the turbo turbine wheel more efficiently.

Turbo is exposed to ambient air rather than underhood air.[:)]Allows for better cooling of turbo components.

No need for expensive headers, mufflers, or exhaust systems.
Turbo is closer to the tail pipe outlet.[:)]Provides a better pressure differential across the turbine wheel which promotes better flow across turbine.

Better weight transfer.[:)]Increases traction because the bulk of system is mounted in rear of vehicle rather than up front.

Less noise and heat in the passenger compartment.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Tom, I will be getting ahold of you for a tuner.
The more I investigate turbos, the more I like this kit. The only I don't like is the turbo replaces the muffler. Im going to talk to sts and see if i can run one behind the turbo.
I am running an intercooler and it is blatblack.
they say the turbo lag really isn't there. Running a T3/To hybrid, once the car is started, the system is charged and pressurized.
It's only $3100 for the "complete" kit. And if it does everything they say it does, worth the money.

·
I need BOOOOST!!!!!!
6,125 Posts
we're trying to tell you to stay away from the sts kit. you wont like it. you can get a front mount kit that will be more efficient and just as easy to install (probably easier actually) and it will be cheaper. there is nothing wrong with buying a turbo kit second hand. if you want to buy a brand new kit then the best way to go about it is the kit that tom (1turbofocus) linked to a few posts up. it gets you all the custom piping that you need along with a turbo manifold and the only things left to buy after are the generic turbo components that you can get practically anywhere so you can shop around and get them for as cheap as possible. otherwise look around in the BST section of this site and see if you can find a second hand kit. you could contact tim (turboturtle) and see if he can make you a kit. i think he is still making them and they are really really nice

·
FF Affiliate
31,089 Posts
Tom, I will be getting ahold of you for a tuner.
The more I investigate turbos, the more I like this kit. The only I don't like is the turbo replaces the muffler. Im going to talk to sts and see if i can run one behind the turbo.
I am running an intercooler and it is blatblack.
they say the turbo lag really isn't there. Running a T3/To hybrid, once the car is started, the system is charged and pressurized.
It's only $3100 for the "complete" kit. And if it does everything they say it does, worth the money.
Now wait , when you start the car you will have or better have 15-20 psi of vacuum , I have drove about 4 of the STS cars all V8 and I am telling you the lag is there , think about how far the turbo has to push the exh as its cooling to the turbo then push the boost back to the intercooler then to the engine , they have HORRIBLE turbo lag , how much piping there is to fill down the exh then back to the intercooler then to the engine , My guess is you wont see full boost till about 4800 to 5000 rpm

Turbos spool off 2 things heat and psi , when you loose heat you loose psi and you have about 8 feet of exh to the turbo , a CAT , the exh gasses will cool from about 1300 deg leaving the head to about 350 deg or less reaching the turbo , just like they say the longer pipe acts like an intercooler what there not telling you is so does the exh pipe feeding the turbo

Another thing I have seen tuning them , if your cruising along and lay into the throttle you get A LOT of turbo lag , if you have been in the throttle hard and then lay into it then it spools faster sense everything is hotter , and where most all the dynos showing the STS kits are done this way they dont show the lag

This isnt a good choice for the Focus but thats your call

Tom

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Space in V8 apps. is why superchargers are making a comeback, if someone HAS to turbo their Corvette there isn't much room available.

I didn't see a kit from them listed for a Focus, there are offerings for generic kits & pick-a-part to fill them out to a do it yourself combination of parts.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Lol...
okay, that's why I posted this. I'm just going by what I've seen on YouTube heard and read.
My biggest concern is the under hood heat. When my CAT went bad, the heat under the hood was bad. It split the coolant splitting tube and I was running over 280°. I've driven turbos but never owned one before. I want to double my HP without worrying about detonating it. I've built racing engines, high HP, Nitro, and a blown V8s. I have no clue about turbos. Plus I'm lazy in my older age and don't have the fabercating resources anymore (she got everything in the divorce), so I would like a bolt on kit.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Space in V8 apps. is why superchargers are making a comeback, if someone HAS to turbo their Corvette there isn't much room available.

I didn't see a kit from them listed for a Focus, there are offerings for generic kits & pick-a-part to fill them out to a do it yourself combination of parts.
They'regoing to build one for me and ship it out ready to bolt on. I talked to the guy for two hours about it.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Luck, you're the pioneer on this one.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
But after the input today, I'm not sure now. There's a performance shop down the street from my shop, i know they work with turbos, I think I'll go talk to them too.
Thanks I do appreciate all the input, I am a lil thick sculled, but I do get the message.

·
FF Affiliate
31,089 Posts
Whats your HP goals ? , The stock ZX3 engine will only make about 230-250 to the wheels stock thats max , 2 times the power to the wheels will be about 220

Under the hood heat isnt an issue , I have installed , built and tuned many turbo kits for the Focus and they work great in the conventional location

Tom

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I would like to see 300, but it's my dd and I don't want to rebuild Iit every couple years.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Hitting that kind of magic number dependably is more a matter of building it right beforehand, not rebuilding repeatedly.

Tom's numbers are well proven goals for the stock engine, you wouldn't want to exceed them.

The good thing is that there's a LOT of info. here on turbo builds that work. It's a large project however it's done, but you don't have to reinvent the wheel as you'd be doing with a system that hasn't been tried before.

·
I need BOOOOST!!!!!!
6,125 Posts
230-250whp will be easy with a stock motor DD. slap the kit on there, tune it, take care of it, have fun. 300whp will be easy with forged pistons and rods for DD. you could push it to around 350+whp if memory serves on a boost a pump with nothing but pistons and rods

1 - 20 of 20 Posts