Focus Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
need to talk to an electrical engineer please or someone who knows a whole lot about lighting "systems" or whatever you'd call it. Trying to start an interior project, need some help getting started. Will explain more when someone responds. Ty. SPACE.

·
Registered
45 Posts
what kinda of electrical help do you need i know a tinny bit and ive done all my neon, stereo, strobe lights, and i wired cars up for trailer lights (everything from a caddilac ctsv to a focus)

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Appreciate all the responses so far guys. Well, I had made another thread about this earlier but didn't really get much from it so I figured I try something different. Here's the deal. I have this concept in my mind for my car's interior lighting. Ideally I'd like to have lights, possibly tubes (led tubes, do those exist?), in the foot wells and under the seats, at least at first. I'd like to be able to have a central control interface/extension of the control module, that will let me change the color of the lights, make them respond to music when i choose and make them solid when I choose. I really want it to look integrated and not tacky. I'm totally willing to get my hands dirty, even if it means buying a controller and tearing it apart. I am also aware that if i want to be able to change color i will need led's. I know that there are under car kits that can do that, but I've never seen that inside. So I am wondering.... how do i do/buy/construct something like this. Need all the help i can get. Thanks again. SPACE

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
Here are a few control boxes that can handle color changes and/or illumination changes:

http://www.theledlight.com/rgbcolor-controllers.html

As far as circuits go that all depends on what you want to do. personally I'd just go with pre-made LED strips rather than build them myself. Reason is I can not produce as thin of a product as a company can, printed circuit board and what not. If you shop around a bit you'll find that LED strips can be had rather cheap and down to about 6" in length and up to 72" in length.
Same goes for a control box, just buy a pre-made one, saves a lot of hassle. To build one you'd have to choose the proper microprocessor, timer, diodes, resistors, etc; all based on the cumulative load of the circuit. Daunting for the beginner (me).

I do know a few other places to look for electronics parts, namely Digi-Key and Arrow Electronics (if you happen to have trouble ordering from either let me know and I can pull strings). But either of those places you have to know specif part numbers or you won't find anything to easily, not really your retail kind of store.

There are a few circuit diagrams with parts numbers on this site that you may like, or just use for ideas:

http://www.discovercircuits.com/H-Corner/intro.htm

I would also recommend reading up on electronics and having a decent understanding before you build, will help you write a how-to for this project (nudge nudge wink wink)

http://www.allaboutcircuits.com/vol_1/index.html

There was another site I had found with a bunch of circuit diagrams but I can't recall what it was. When/if I find it I'll post it up.

·
Registered
334 Posts
You can pick up a control box that will make you light respond to music. I have seen them at Autozone and Advanced Auto parts before. I think it was $40, but look around to find a good deal. The control box will let you adjust the sensitivity of the lights. Then you can hook that up to what "iminhell" said.

·
Registered
57 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
get a fwe length of acrilic tube... cut them to the length that you want and get whatever colored LED you want for the area.

Tap the ends of the acrylic tube and sink the LED's in. Wire it up to a fwe switches.. Ie. one for the front and one for the rear..

I set something like this up for a friend in his scion..

·
Registered
4,602 Posts
yeah I think they make a commercial product that does this check out street glow

1 - 12 of 12 Posts