Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some of the black plastics on my car have faded and I am looking to try to restore the color without having them glossy like they would be if i sprayed them. Would a matte spray paint hold up on there?

The cover right under the windshield that covers parts of the wiper setup has faded in the sun and I want to get it back to black...

And the hose on my power bleeder blew out and threw brake fluid all over the place. Now I have spots on my new grille that I cant get rid of.
this:

and this:

Anybody got a quick fix? If I have to paint them then i guess thats what Im gonna have to do. I tried to scrub the grille with different cleaners but it didnt do anything. And i ried sanding one of the smaller spots thinking it would come off, but it didnt. Any advise is appreciated.

Thanks!
Joel

·
GT40 all the things!
9,482 Posts
Make sure to use an eraser on anything that has gotten wax on it.

·
GT40 all the things!
9,482 Posts
If you use the automatic car wash you did.

·
Registered
80 Posts
that, mothers back to black is a good product, but at best its looks good for a few days and a week at most. if you want something permeant try forever black...its actually a dye. talk to Lyonsroar i have never used it but he swears by it.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
You can actually use tire shine. I use tire shine on all the black areas on my car and it works really well.

·
Registered
113 Posts
The cowl panel looks like it can be cleaned and dressed to fix it up. I'd say you're going to have to re-paint the fluid damage on the grill. Just make sure to clean them as good as you can before you apply any of the restoration products mentioned. Use a pressure washer or air hose to get in all the cracks and crevasses. If you don't want the grill to be shiny just don't use gloss paint. Use a satin or matte black.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You can actually use tire shine. I use tire shine on all the black areas on my car and it works really well.
I tested out the tire shine on the wiper cowl and it worked great. It looks pretty much new. Now im interested to see how long it stays like that.

·
Love CA / Hate CARB
2,160 Posts
For the Back to Black make sure you use a toothbrush or something similar to get all those dimples.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Ive seen it last acouple rain storms. or sometimes until i was the car again. works great on the door handles if yours are the black plastic ones too. or the mirrors.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Thw cowl is simple. I did it a few years ago. It still looks great. Topical dressings would not hold up here in Carolina. Here's a link to the cowl clean up.
The paint is holding up so well that I pulled the grill and sprayed it as well a few weeks ago.
IIRC the paint was DupliColor black trim matte finish.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts