Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Was that our exit?!?
2,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Need to rebuild my JRSC! Video+Pics Inside

Video explains it all. Sorry for it being dark, but turn up the speaker and then cry with me.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xsDUCs93oi4

Needless to say, I'll be getting rides to and from work until I can get this sorted out. I do not want to drive and risk having pieces of metal enter the engine.

With the economy and my wallet taking dumps, I would like to rebuild it myself. However Moss Motorsports an Magnuson will not sell individual pieces to rebuild the damn thing. And the only thing I can find to do a repair is on Ebay as bearing Kits.

I would really love to get new bearings, seals, and rotors to do a complete overhaul. But where can I go for parts when those creating the blower will not sell them individually?!?

Any advice out there?

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
That sucks man, GL getting it all fixed up. How many miles on the kit, I know you've driven it pretty hard =]

·
Was that our exit?!?
2,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I bought it used with supposively less than 10K on it. And then I have had it on the car for just under 50K. So between 55k and 65K on the blower. And yes, i beat on it daily, so I am confident it was users abuse. Hosting some pictures on Photobucket.

Looks like so far by having the blower off and spinning it with the hand. That the bearings by the intake side have gone. Or at least just one. I have seen some bearing kits on ebay and online for the M62, so I will order one and see how they compare to the ones in the unit. I cannot pull it apart until Monday at work. Just dont have the tools here for it.

And there also has been some rotor contact it seems. But the fins dont look too bad. Looks like scuffs and removal of teflon, but I do not see too much deforming. I am interested to see what I find on monday for the gears by the pulley. Hopefully they didnt wear or bend from the bearing and rotor shaft play.

·
Was that our exit?!?
2,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)

This last one is where the rotors have made contact while rotating. Everything is else thermal coating coming off at the fins, and that doesnt bother me all that much.

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
these type of blowers have very tight tolerances. You will lose efficiency and boost with the amount of material that has been worn off.

sorry to here about your porblem, i have a JRSC with 30k miles on it which i beat on too, and I certainly wouldnt want this to happen to me.

·
Was that our exit?!?
2,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yea,

I am probably going to get stuck with a full rebuild. However, there was some markings on the rotors when I first installed it 2 years ago. And to be honest. They do not look bad at all. Even where they touched, still a smooth surface. The car still made 216whp with the ford racing tune before the bearing went. We will see what happens I guess and what Magnuson wants to charge me.

Anyone want to sponsor? lol

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Not to worry about the chipping.
My M90 off my GTP had a few chips here and there like yours and I still made 14PSI with it all day long.

As far as the bearings, they're just bearings. Pull 'em out and grab the number off them. You can do a search for the number, or measure them and search the bearing measurements.
Can't say for sure if the seal is the same as an M90, but you're looking at a $8 seal from NAPA if it is.
The TB end bearings are a little special, but still should be easy to find.

I serviced all my bearings on my M90 when I ported it, cost me maybe $40 after shipping for all the parts.

·
Registered
784 Posts
that really sucks, good luck getting back together. or if all else fails you can buy my PC off me. lol

·
Was that our exit?!?
2,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Not to worry about the chipping.
My M90 off my GTP had a few chips here and there like yours and I still made 14PSI with it all day long.

As far as the bearings, they're just bearings. Pull 'em out and grab the number off them. You can do a search for the number, or measure them and search the bearing measurements.
Can't say for sure if the seal is the same as an M90, but you're looking at a $8 seal from NAPA if it is.
The TB end bearings are a little special, but still should be easy to find.

I serviced all my bearings on my M90 when I ported it, cost me maybe $40 after shipping for all the parts.
I was thinking all the same things as you. I have still been making all the horsepower the blower is going to give me. I would imagine that any affects of the coating coming off and some contact spot on the rotors would be affected during high ambient temperatures. My engineers at work are going to get to play with this one.

·
Premium Member
6,581 Posts
Jesus, you didn't tell me the rotors were making contact! I thought you just wanted a front drive rebuild.

I would call Stiegemeier... they're always very helpful over the phone.

·
Was that our exit?!?
2,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just spoke with Bob. $395 for Rebuild. From my descriptions of contact, he doesn't think I need new rotors. Actually said I was smart for taking it off when I first heard the bearings getting louder. If I do need a new rotor pack, man does the price jump lol.

Nice guy, easy to talk to. Definitely am sending him my unit.

·
Was that our exit?!?
2,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I am posting all the different pictures of my rotors on his forum. This way it will be a quick Q&A for everyone and get some more information about the rotors, efficiency, and normality of scrapes, contact and so forth.

·
on thin air
3,671 Posts
Good to hear it wasn't too expensive...all things considered. What kind of turn around time are they talking about?

I would be curious to see what happens with these units as they start getting more miles logged. Would be a bummer to see them start falling apart like this, since most of us bought them for the low-maintenance and reliability.

Good luck to ya man, hope you get that car back on the road soon.

·
Was that our exit?!?
2,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well there is a 1-2 days in the shop turn around plus shipping time. So figure 7 days or so.

And as far as maintenance. Manythings can ruin a supercharger. Belt play can be an issue, intake particles, good bearing seals. I bought this used and still got almost 50K out of the blower. An I beated on it everyday.

I kinda believe with my luck and and my driving habits...i am lucky both this and my engine have lasted this long.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Glad to see you took my advice, Steig is the best out there, most of the Terminator Cobra guys live by them.

Your getting it blower and housing ported as well, right? You at least want it ported to match your 65mm TB.

·
Was that our exit?!?
2,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Not getting anything ported. If I want to port the plenum to match the throttle body, thats something I'll try on my own. Thats just a little shaving.

·
Premium Member
6,581 Posts
The plenum is pretty well matched to a 65mm TB; there's just a bit of a restriction behind the opening. I'm not sure if that would require adding material to the plenum though.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts