Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Couple months ago I bled my brakes and they were fine. Today I just got new front rotors and new pads all round and was so excited to be able to stop on a dime. I got on the road and let the brakes warm up a bit then I pressed as hard as I could on the pedal. Now pedal did not SINK to the floor but I was able to push it all the way to the floor and the car did initially stop very hard but then it kind of half assed its way to a complete stop. It feels like the piston or something isn't pressing as hard as it could be.
Bleed the brakes?

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Maybe, but making sure they're all adjusted up & nothing's "cocked" so it isn't close to the disc when released comes first.

If you can look at the calipers when someone presses the brakes that would lead you to any of these issues, any one that moves much when pressing the brake isn't set right yet. That makes for excess pedal movement before they start working, making it easier to press the pedal down far.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Bro, never hit the road after a brake job without pumping up the brakes til they are totally tight, then start the car and do it again. If you do that, your car should function very 'normal' and not require any kind of hard core effort to brake. Bedding brakes in is done by mild braking from higher speeds to lower speeds. Stomping the brake down as hard as you will trash the surface of even new rotors. The idea is to never have to 'press as hard as you can' on them. When test driving a brake job, just roll around normal and give yourself plenty of room to stop everywhere you go. If you never get a stiff brake pedal, DEF don't go on the road until you have bled the system or sorted whatever deal is causing your brake pedal to require going to the floor. I'm offering my post not to bash at all, just wanna help a fellow foci brotha out.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
But honestly your problem sounds like you have air in the system or you hadn't put the cap back on the reservior.
Said the right thing= great answer. I'd also flush the system & use Ford dot 3 fluid.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cheap Sleeper, I did pump the brakes AFTER I started the car a bunch of times but thats about it. I reeaaallly hope my noobie mistakes didn't [:)][:)][:)][:)] up my new rotors or pads. :(

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
If the pedal is stiff right at the top nothing's "cocked" or needing to adjust up still, if there's some travel before it gets stiff checking where as I mentioned will let you know what to look at.

Rears will need to adjust up a bit after any brake job, SVT discs you needed to screw the pistons in for new pads to fit & they might need to adjust out a bit still (use E-Brake repeatedly).

Fronts can be a problem if everything isn't together quite right, that's the spot to look for caliper movement when applied to see any problems even more than the rears.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Cheap Sleeper, I did pump the brakes AFTER I started the car a bunch of times but thats about it. I reeaaallly hope my noobie mistakes didn't [:)][:)][:)][:)] up my new rotors or pads. :(
Nah bro you'll be good. They would just start shimmying very slightly while braking if you did over stress them, but you could put up with that as long as you want. You could still put 60-100k miles on them carefree. ?

·
Registered
17,167 Posts
The brakes will (they better!) work 100% with no cap on the system at all.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts