Focus Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for a new set of 215/R45 17 for my 2011 SES

I live in northwest ohio where the winter is usually nov-mid march.

the main problem around here is the road condition. every road i drive on is pothole ridden. the express way is constantly under construction all summer.

I want something thats gonna last me 4 years.

since i got the car in 2012 ive had to replace 2 tires already because of sidewall bubbles.

Any help would be awesome!

Thanks

·
So mote be it
8,960 Posts
If you are seeing sidewall damage like that you are riding on some really rough roads. Are you driving into Michigan a lot or something? Usually Ohio roads are pretty decent. Best way to prevent this is to avoid potholes but I'm sure you aren't purposely aiming for them so that suggestion wont help.

Getting a taller tire will help some but you are limited with your current wheels. 15" or 16" wheel/tire combo would provide your car with more sidewall protection. Any Focus wheel from 00-11 will work, plenty of oem ones turn up on Craigslist and the buy/sell forums here

·
Registered
332 Posts
I have the same car. Leaning towards Michelin Premier A/S in the fall. I am wanting a quiet and comfort-oriented tire with all-season traction and this seems to fit the bill for me.

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
You want a tire that lasts 4 years????

That's about 2 years longer than I would be comfortable with. A hard compound tire might last a long time, but it won't perform anywhere near what the manufacturer intended. Your stopping distances are increased, your handling grip is reduced, and road noise is increased.

I would recommend getting a second set of wheels/tires if you're able. Dedicated winter and summer tires. Your car will perform as it should and you could go 4 or more years if you absolutely needed to (I wouldn't, but whatever)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Still shopping around. costco put me at the Michelin Premier for $670. (too rich for my taste, still considering it though)

gonna look into things a little more been shopping Craigslist for a second set of rims to do the 2 sets of tires option

is there any specific tire that people like a lot or sware by? im dumb in the tire dept

the Michelin Primacy at sams are $520 with install

·
Registered
78 Posts
Personally, I'd only go with Continental, Hankook, or Michelin, but that's just me. The kind of tire depends on what you want (steering response, grip, life / fuel economy). If you have the stock 17" rims and want to avoid bubbles you just need to be really careful, the sidewalls are small and that's what happens. I get the same issues here in CT.

Check out tirerack.com, put in your car model and it will give you all tires that fit. You can then sort by the type of tire you want (they give you nice descriptions and tell you everything you want). I would recommend the Continental TrueContact tires if what you really want is tread life. But just as mac.mogul said, your car won't perform or feel as good as Ford intended, especially in the SES.

Otherwise, I'd say the Michelin you're looking at is a pretty good choice. It's the same class tire (Grand-Touring All-Season) as the stock Kumho's that come with the car.

·
Registered
332 Posts
If you aren't in a huge hurry, sit tight and wait for a Costco promotion. They usually have Michelin promos a few times a year, about $80 off a set IIRC. Executive Members get additional deals, sent via email offers.

Still shopping around. costco put me at the Michelin Premier for $670. (too rich for my taste, still considering it though)

gonna look into things a little more been shopping Craigslist for a second set of rims to do the 2 sets of tires option

is there any specific tire that people like a lot or sware by? im dumb in the tire dept

the Michelin Primacy at sams are $520 with install

·
Registered
297 Posts
I usually would have gone with the Michelin Premier A/S for my wife's 2011 SES. I had the Michelin Primacy's on my 02 ZX5 and they were great. Now both of my Focus cars are running the 215-45-17 Pirelli Cinturato P7 all season plus tires. They are rated #1 by tire rack in the grand touring all season category and I agree fully. They are great tires plus a little cheaper than the Michelins. Pirelli has a rebate for $60 on a set of 4 right now. I like them so much on my Focus vehicles that I just put a set on my 14 Escape. They are so much better than the Conti's that came on the escape from Ford. See the survey below.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/surveydisplay.jsp?type=GTAS

1 - 10 of 10 Posts