Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My wife and I have a 2000 Focus ZTS. It's been a great car, but we recently ran into a problem. After the check engine light came on and our mechanic was unable to diagnose the problem, we had a dealer run an end-to-end diagnostic. It turned out the rollover valve that's integral to the fuel tank has some micro cracking and is leaking trace amounts of vapor. Operationally, it's no big deal, but the car won't pass emissions.
Long story short, we need to find a replacement fuel tank with the valve intact. Unfortunately, it's an obsolete part. We've tried a few "pick & pull" places, but the ones around here all puncture the tanks in order to drain them. Ebay and the Ford dealer network have come up dry, as well.
Any suggestions on where we might find one, or do any of you fine folks have one you'd be willing to part with?

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Have the tank removed and have the micro cracks filled with sealer.

Perhaps you can retrofit with a later year tank

Did the Ford dealer gave you the Ford part number for the obsolete tank that you are looking for?

What is the bulld date of your car? (on door data tag)

Good luck
Paul

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Have the tank removed and have the micro cracks filled with sealer.
**Not an option, unfortunately.

Perhaps you can retrofit with a later year tank
** Worth checking into.

Did the Ford dealer gave you the Ford part number for the obsolete tank that you are looking for?
**Not us, but our mechanic might have it. When they couldn't find it, they're the ones who sent it to the dealership on their own dime.

What is the bulld date of your car? (on door data tag)
** 3/1/00
Good luck
**Thanks

Paul

·
Registered
16,551 Posts
Depends on where the scrapyards are puncturing them. If close to the pump access hole you can get inside to screw a nut and bolt on a gasket to seal it.

I'd think there is bound to be a way to seal that valve as well. Some of those valves simply snap together to assemble and can be popped apart to work on.

·
Registered
16,551 Posts
As well, I would strongly suspect dealer intention there, once again somebody has chosen the most expensive part to repair in a system and that always trips my warning sensors off, especially on a part that typically never faults. That is a dealer specialty doing that. Most leaks are in the filler neck, external corrugated or rubber tubing or at the connections. Or if somebody has cut a hole in car to get to pump from above I almost guarantee a flaw in the corrugated hose, they accidentally nick it cutting the hole a LOT. As well, there besides the corrugated line is a rubber hose joint or two and if one is on that valve then the valve could be considered to be bad even though the hose joiner is the true problem. The rubber hose will tend to microcrack far more than the plastic parts. It would be stupid to change a tank over a dollar length of rubber hose.

I have actually even developed a cheap method of patching the corrugated to work fine for many years.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
I have one in a 2003 ZX5 that's intact, original fuel pump and all...it's been sitting in my driveway waiting for me to haul it to the scrapyard.
Not sure if it would fit yours, nor if it's reasonably possible to get it across the border. Check if it would fit, and if so we can figure out from there.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts