Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Cashed in my chips
2,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey everyone,

Just a short time ago, I went to open my garage door and the arm of the auto opener, which is attached to a bracket, which is screwed into the garage door itself busted out of the door, leaving my door in the down position and the arm dangling in the air.

Upon closer inspection, I saw where this has happened before, oh....about three times by the amount of holes in the door. The fasteners keep tearing out of the door and the prior owners just kept screwing it back in in a new spot.

So, I want to fix this, but I want some suggestions on what the best way would be. I'll take a picture of the area in a bit (my camera battery is charging).

So far, here's the options I've thought of:

1. Fill the existing holes with a strong epoxy, allow to cure and re-fasten the bracket to the strengthened area

2. Fab a sheetmetal piece to cover the damaged area, fasten it to the door using multiple screws, then screw the bracket into the sheetmetal.

ANy ideas on how to do this the right way for a lasting repair?

PS-- I forgot to mention, the garage door is made of a pressed-fiber type material (very crumbly....like pegboard) and is hollow

Here's a pic:

·
FF Bouncer
3,178 Posts
It sounds like you're on the right track to fixing the problem, that's probably the same thing I would do actually. Or you could maybe find another piece of metal with holes big enough for two screws on both ends of it, then place that piece cross-ways along the bracket that fell out... I think this would give you two new mounting points for the screws away from the damaged area... though I think it would be an excellent idea to fill the damaged hole anyways. I hope that I made some sort of sense.

In other words, find another piece of metal and attach it to the bracket, then use some screws with washers to reattach the bracket to the door... blah, it's late.. ima go to sleep... Good night :)

Cheers!

·
Registered
13,065 Posts
I'm going with the metal theory myself... I would worry the epoxy would be strong, but with enough force from the arm, the epoxy might come out of the door as a whole, along with a little more of the door material.

I'll ask my dad tomorrow if I remember... he may have had the same issue with his garage, it was constructed like yours, from the looks of it.

·
Registered
7,241 Posts
They make garage doors out of that crap?? That's a terrible material to make a garage door out of. I would start saving for a new door (double-walled fiberglass is good), and in the meantime to strengthen the existing door the metal plate idea sounds like a good one for at least a little more reinforcement. I would guess if the door opener keeps liberating itself from the door that the metal plate would eventually do the same.

The ugly but perhaps more functional approach would be to put bolts all the way through the door and put a metal plate on the OUTSIDE, and use washers. Then it can't pull out because the washers and the plate would prevent it. Unless the door material is so weak that it would just rip an enormous hole in the door where the plate used to be. [rolleyes]

My parents had one of those heavy as hell "one-piece" wooden doors with no opener, from the time the house was built until earlier this year. The door was so damn heavy it pulled the spring hinges out of the wall many, many times over the years. It warped the front wall of the garage from "pulling" on the wall. I almost killed myself once when opening the door and the right hinge popped out of the wall, and the door fell on my head. At least your door didn't try to take your life. [hihi] My parents finally replaced it with a double-walled insulated fiberglass door with windows, and a belt-drive opener. I can't recommend enough both of those items, they were enormous improvements and as nerdy as it is to say are a joy to use. The door is fabulous and the opener is so quiet you can only hear it if you are actually standing near it in the garage. But I digress...

·
Cashed in my chips
2,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not bad advice, Warren, I'll check to see how much new doors are. I think I saw an ad and it was just a little over a hundred bucks. It's just a single car garage door.

I just have to check with "The Association" to okay a door replacement. Until then, I think I might try a combo of epoxy and a plate...also might try using anchors of some kind (I'll have to shop around and see what would be best to use)

The bolts-all-the-way-through idea isn't bad, except I'm not sure how "The Association" would feel about that. Perhaps they wouldn't notice after some white paint.

I know the opener itself is pretty new, though, because the original owners passed along the documentation for it.

·
Registered
489 Posts
If you are of the handy persuasion, and you appear to be, you can get a spiffy new door for ~$200. There are cheaper doors, but I think the better fiberglass doors are in that price range. I will say you have to be very careful when working around the springs.

·
Registered
3,860 Posts
Here is something you could try. The idea of placing a large metal plate over that area with several screws is a good start. If it were me, I would get a bottle of "Gorilla Glue" and place a good amount all over the area the metal plate would cover and screw that plate down good and tight and let it dry overnight before trying to use it. That "Gorilla Glue" is unbelieveably strong and it would make that entire area bare the load evenly. I think that will solve your problem. Now if you want to replace the entire door, do for it but my idea will save you quite a bit of money. Anyway, hope that helps :)

BTW, I am thinking the metal plate should be maybe 10" to 12" square, that will create a large area for the load to distribute. I would do it like this. Have the plate ready with holes pre-drilled. Apply Gorilla Glue (filling the holes in the door as well), place the plate over the area and screw down tight. Then screw down the arm into the plate/door and let it set up over-night. I really believe that will do the trick, good luck with it hun :)

Oh, and one more thing, that Gorilla Glue foams and expands as it cures so you don't want to go crazy with it and you prolly don't want to fill the holes full. There will be glue around the plate after drying but all you have to do is break it away, it's not hard. Just because the glue foams, don't let that fool you, that is the strongest glue you will find, stronger than epoxy even, and it will stick to ANYTHING!

·
Registered
7,241 Posts
Where are you people finding these $100 and $200 garage doors?? The door my parents bought (two car garage-sized, double walled insulated fiberglass door with windows) cost about $1,100 IIRC for just the door, no opener or installation included in that price. Even a one car-sized door should be more than just a couple hundred bucks it seems??!

·
Registered
3,860 Posts
^^^ I was thinking the same thing. It cost me $200 just to have a 2 car garage door fixed. I know hers is a 1 car but still, I would think it would cost a bit more.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Here's a thought -

Our "association" just replaced a bunch of garage doors. It seems that the original garage doors were rotting (they are wood) and several homeowners complained. The "board" had a meeting and within weeks, new garage doors were going on. We pay a "maintenance fee" here that covers building exteriors, lawn, pool, etc. Well, since you can't make any structural changes on the outside of the building, and obviously the garage door is "outside"...people complained. My developments is about 10 years old.

You may want to check with the association to see if others are having the same problem. If so, you may be able to get something going to have them replaced...FREE.

Hope that helps. [cool]

·
Registered
7,241 Posts
I hope I'm not out of line in saying this, but that's why I think homeowner's associations suck - it's stupid that you have a set of rules by which to abide and can't make any changes to your house unless it meets with their approval. If you're going to own a house you should be able to do what you like to it, that's why you own a house rather than rent one. But I guess it protects everyone from the possibility of someone with extremely bad taste creating an eyesore in the neighborhood.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Oh, you're not out of line at all and I agree 100%...but your reasoning is correct. I'm in the real estate business and deal with associations constantly. With the price of housing in south Florida (latest report is that the average house price in south Florida toping $385K), who would want to spent tons of cash to have the guy next door paint his house neon green and leave trash all around, cars up on blocks, etc. It sucks, but it's the way things are in most areas down here.

Getting back on track, I really think a call to the association would be a good place to start. Ya never know unless you ask. [;)]

·
Cashed in my chips
2,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
hey guys, great suggestions. Especially since I just bought this place, I think I'll call the association peeps and find out what their responsibilities are as far as maintenance goes. I know they are responsible for painting the outside of the garage doors, maybe they will replace it.

As far as replacement doors go, I have seen them as cheap as $200, but it's the labor involved that will kill you. If you have a torsion spring (which most modern doors use and is what I have) then you have to have a professional do the work....and it's a lot of work. That's where the $1K estimates come in. So, since I am only using this place as an investment property, for the most part, I will probably just go the "fix it myself" route, unless the HOA fixes is for me.

It pisses me off that the door decided to break, though, because I just finished drywalling and painting the garage, and I layed out a new vinyl garage mat....the garage looks sweet! and now the door is messed up. It's always something, isn't it? lol

·
The Librarian
13,116 Posts
I just finished drywalling and painting the garage, and I layed out a new vinyl garage mat....the garage looks sweet!
Anytime you want to come practice on our garage, I'll provide the refreshments. [:D]

My brother's door had the same problem you've got.
We just reinforced it with a 8"X8"X1/8"thick metal plate, and a lot of Liquid Nails caulking.

I forgot about the Gorilla Glue.
That's some stout stuff.

·
Cashed in my chips
2,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Okay, okay....

Quick pic of the repair:

Quick pic of the garage (not organized/cleaned yet):

Ta Da!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts