Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Now that I replaced my stock headunit, I would like to replace my stock speakers. I have a coupon for $40 off of $200 or more purchase at a car audio shop. I would like to use the brands they carry. Their brands are listed here: www.extremeaudio.biz/caraudio.htm I would like to spend around $160 - $200. I don't have an amp right now, but I would like some speakers that sound alright without, and then have the capability to be amped. Or if there is a good componet set in that price range, I would buy that, and wait to buy an amp and install.
Thanks for any suggestions.

·
Registered
409 Posts
If those are the choices...
Boston, hands down.

I have used Polk and Infinity (Reference) and love both.

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
i've been using a set of Alpine Type-R components and I think that they sound great. (just MHO)

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
Well, it's either Alpine or Boston.

You'll have to listen to them on the board and keep in mind they will not sound as good in the car. If a tweeter is bright on the board, it will generally be too bright in the car.

I don't know much about Boston, but the Alpines to look at are SPX-177R for components, and SPR-57LP for 5x7s. To give you reference, on ikesound.com they are $215 and $78 per pair with ikesound 1yr warranty.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Are the 5x7's just as good or better than 5-1/4's or are the other way around? Because I found some Boston's that had good reviews but were 5-1/4's and I wasn't sure if they both are comparable.

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
5.25" are too small. You want 6.5" if you get round speakers with an amp. That way the midbass and sub blends better.

With 5.25", you'll lack midbass.

·
Registered
545 Posts
i (heart) cerwin vega i have a pair os LS-15's in my home man i love them

i have never been a fan of alpines sound i do however love my CDT's (focusincali they are still pumping strong!)

anywhoo my advice to you - find a local dealer that sells the speakers bring in a cd of what ever you kids listen to these days then listen to the speakers cuz to buy speakers with out knowing what they sound like is like buying art with out ever looking at it first..

when i got my cdt's from focusincali i first hunted them down local to hear them

its just speakers smarts.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts