Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright I'm trying to upgrade my whole system in my 09 focus...
This is what I have available (nothing is installed):
-6X8 JVC speakers
-6X9 Sony speakers
-A cheap visonik amp
-Two 10" visonik subs
-One 8" Diamond sub

This is what I was thinking:
From what I've been told the 09 focus can not fit Sony 6X9 speakers so I feel like they are kind of useless. I was going to put the JVC 6X8 speakers in the front and then just purchase some 6X8 for the back two speakers. My price range for those are about $100. Then I was going to make or purchase a small sub box for either one or both of my 10" subs because I still need to be able to use my trunk. I've allowed about $100 dollars for this as well. Then I was going to use my amp to just power the sub not the speakers at least until I can upgrade the amp.

I'm open to any ideas...
If anyone thinks configuring things different would be any better please let me know. Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
Do you have the model numbers for all of the pieces that you have?

I can't really recommend one way or another without knowing what models you have. However, as far as general recommendations go, you should do 6x8's all the way around, unless you are willing to do a component set. The Alpine Type-S components (SPS-600C...sorry, no link) go for about $130. However, they will be more difficult to install, as the factory holes are 5x7/6x8.

Other than that, definitely go with one of the subs. It should be more than enough for some added bass.

Are you replacing the deck, or staying with the stock one?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do you have the model numbers for all of the pieces that you have?

I can't really recommend one way or another without knowing what models you have. However, as far as general recommendations go, you should do 6x8's all the way around, unless you are willing to do a component set. The Alpine Type-S components (SPS-600C...sorry, no link) go for about $130. However, they will be more difficult to install, as the factory holes are 5x7/6x8.

Other than that, definitely go with one of the subs. It should be more than enough for some added bass.

Are you replacing the deck, or staying with the stock one?
I don't have the model numbers available with me now but I will tonight. I want to stay with the stock deck just because it seems so much easier. Do you think a custom box for the trunk would be a good option to save space? What amp for the sub do you think I should go with?

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
The stock deck will limit the power going to the speakers. A stock deck puts out (rougly) 7-10 watts per channel. An aftermarket one will give you between 17-22 watts per channel. However, keeping it stock will save money, so if that's why you want to keep it, keep it. The install is nothing to be afraid of.

A custom box can save space, but it depends how custom you want to get. I mean, you could sink the 10'' Visonik into the trunk floor, where the spare tire should go, and then have a flat floor panel that is maybe an inch higher than stock, meaning you have all of your trunk space. However, then you wouldn't have a spare, and it is pretty costly to do correctly. I would stick with a simply 10'' sealed MDF box. They don't take up a lot of space, and the amp can get mounted to it to save more room. As far as an amp, I can't really say until I know the specs of the sub(s).

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll get all the specs when I get home tonight because I'm kinda at work right now. What kind of aftermarket decks do they have since the deck is completly build into the dash? Do you have to tear up the whole dash? I've replaced decks before and yes that is easy but I don't see how this would work in my car?

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
Oops...forgot that you have an 09. Let me do some research. I haven't done any work on newer Foci. I'll post back in a few minutes.

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
Hmm...so you may want to leave the stock deck alone. It can be replaced, but it's not too cost effective. You have to replace the entire plastic panel...

You'd need these parts:
http://www.bestkits.com/ViewImage.aspx?img=i/bkfd1437b.jpg
http://www.bestkits.com/ViewImage.aspx?img=i/BHA5800.jpg
http://www.bestkits.com/ViewImage.aspx?img=i/BAA20.jpg

..and it looks like this as well...

**third link doesn't work due to type of web page it is from**

As far as cost, the first part is about $120, the second is $20, the third is $20 and the last is another $120. I'm not sure if the last part is absolutely necessary, but it is listed on Peripheral Electronics website as a part for the 2008 Focus. Usually, parts like this one are to interface with a factory amplified system, which your's shouldn't be (I don't think). However, Ford may have changed something and it might be a necessary part now. Again, I don't know for sure.

Regardless, you are looking at well over $100 in parts. I didn't realize the new Foci were this much of a pain to replace a radio on. Reminds me of the Taurus' that have the round dash...

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hmm...so you may want to leave the stock deck alone. It can be replaced, but it's not too cost effective. You have to replace the entire plastic panel...

You'd need these parts:
http://www.bestkits.com/ViewImage.aspx?img=i/bkfd1437b.jpg
http://www.bestkits.com/ViewImage.aspx?img=i/BHA5800.jpg
http://www.bestkits.com/ViewImage.aspx?img=i/BAA20.jpg

..and it looks like this as well...

**third link doesn't work due to type of web page it is from**

As far as cost, the first part is about $120, the second is $20, the third is $20 and the last is another $120. I'm not sure if the last part is absolutely necessary, but it is listed on Peripheral Electronics website as a part for the 2008 Focus. Usually, parts like this one are to interface with a factory amplified system, which your's shouldn't be (I don't think). However, Ford may have changed something and it might be a necessary part now. Again, I don't know for sure.

Regardless, you are looking at well over $100 in parts. I didn't realize the new Foci were this much of a pain to replace a radio on. Reminds me of the Taurus' that have the round dash...
Thanks for the research I'm going to look into this. Also I'll get those model numbers tonight and post them and then maybe you'll have a better understanding with what I'm working with.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So the speakers actually are:
Pioneer TS-A6870R 6X8
Sony XS-V6941H 6X9

So what do you think?

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
I would actually put the Pioneer's in the back, and then pick up a different pair for the front. Those Pioneer's aren't bad by any means, but you can buy new 6x8's for about $100 that will be better, and you want the better pair in the front.

However, you still run into the issue that it's not usually a great idea to mix speaker brands/models from front to rear. However, for a system that isn't going to cost too much, it should be fine. For $100, you could buy the newer version of those Pioneers (TSA-6882R), which from what I remember by listening to them at work, were a HUGE improvement over the older Pioneer's.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I would actually put the Pioneer's in the back, and then pick up a different pair for the front. Those Pioneer's aren't bad by any means, but you can buy new 6x8's for about $100 that will be better, and you want the better pair in the front.

However, you still run into the issue that it's not usually a great idea to mix speaker brands/models from front to rear. However, for a system that isn't going to cost too much, it should be fine. For $100, you could buy the newer version of those Pioneers (TSA-6882R), which from what I remember by listening to them at work, were a HUGE improvement over the older Pioneer's.
Cool. That sounds like a good idea. I'll just go buy those then. I really appreciate all of the advice. I had a couple of other questions. I was looking at some other accessories when putting the speaker in like some bass blockers or some dynamat? Any advice on those? So any good amps for subs that you would recommend? So where do you work?

Wow i just realize I'm like interrogating you... Sorry for a hundred questions...

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
Haha...don't worry about it. I used to work at a place called American TV, but after four years of working their I was "let-go" a few weeks ago, as they decided that they didn't need part-time sales people anymore.

Anyway...skip the dynomatt. It's not really necessary until you have a lot of power or actually run into vibration problems. I don't think you will, as the Focus interior is pretty solid. As for the bass blockers, I'd get them, especially with the stock deck. An aftermarket deck would allow for setting the crossover within the deck (which would serve the same purpose as the bass blockers), but, you'll have the stock deck, so that's not an option.

I'll need the model of the sub(s) before I can recommend an amp. Don't you have a Visonik amp already?

Oh, and you can just keep posting to this thread. I'll keep checking it. My PM box is full and I don't feel like paging through and deleting what I don't need.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
American TV?... Never heard of them. I actually work in a Bose store in Virginia and I would really like to get a Bose system in my car but I can't because Bose doesn't do aftermarket car audio. When it comes to the sub and amp I have I'm just not sure it will be enough. I used to own a 94 crown vic that had all of these speakers and amp and sub in it but before I traded it in for my focus I took everything out of it. Thats why I have all of these random parts. I can't find any info for my sub and amp but I do remember that it was like a cheap $150 package that I got from someone. I've been looking into building my own custom box for the trunk and that might be an option or I might just put the sub into a small truck box or something like that.

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
Yeah, American is a regional company. Pretty much Wisconsin, Illinois, St. Louis and Upper Michigan are the only places there are stores.

I would do just a regular 10'' box. They don't take up much room, and will be A LOT cheaper than a custom one. But, if you aren't afraid of some custom work, go for the custom box. I built one for my ZX3 and it turned out pretty good, but I just went to a standard sealed box for my SVT.

·
Registered
470 Posts
This is the sub and amp I have now but it's just way to big. Do you think the sub or the amp are worth using?

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item...0-+Subwoofers+++Box+Super+Thump+Package-.html
Well, it's better than nothing. But if I were you, I'd start over.

American TV?... Never heard of them. I actually work in a Bose store in Virginia and I would really like to get a Bose system in my car but I can't because Bose doesn't do aftermarket car audio.
lol don't get me started on Bose. What a crappy brand.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Oh, and why don't you splurge $30 and get these front speakers: MB Quart PVI268

And eventually, use the amplifier you have to power your front speakers and get a new sub an amp.

For now, if you want to save space, I'd suggest using one of the subs in a ported box powered by the Visonik amp you have now.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well, it's better than nothing. But if I were you, I'd start over.

lol don't get me started on Bose. What a crappy brand.
wow where did that come from? Just give me some reasons for not liking Bose and I bet I can give you a reason for why your wrong... lol

On another note I think I'm just going to keep my pioneer speakers and then get a new amp and sub also new speakers for the front. I think that might work...

·
Registered
470 Posts
Because Bose uses pretty small, cheap, wimpy speakers, but gives them a beefier sound by screwing around with the signal.

For example, here is a bose car speaker:

Even some of the cheapest aftermarket speakers have polypropylene cones and rubber surrounds. So what? A cheap cardboard cone and foam surround, like the one on that speaker, are more prone to premature deterioration, water damage and UV damage. Furthermore, rubber surrounds are lighter and have superior damping characteristics than foam surrounds.

Bose is notorious for having gaping holes in their frequency response in their home theater systems (like the 3-2-1). Why? Their cute little 2" speakers can't play low enough to match with the subwoofer. And their subwoofer has to play frequencies well into the midbass range, which makes the sound directional and completely throws off the imaging. Also, their "high-end" speakers incorporate an array of small speakers to make the image seem big and spread out, but that's the antithesis of how a good speaker system should sound. The image should be focused, and you should be able to tell where each instrument is.

The killer, though, is the price. Cheap, small speakers on a relatively small amplifier that has crappy imaging and holes in the frequency response... it doesn't add up.

No highs, no lows, must be Bose.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Wow thats rough. Well lets start with the car audio. Please tell me why Bose is the leader in manufactured car audio systems? Your not understanding the main point behind Bose... that is research and innovation... now what that means is that we don't have to blow everyone out of the water by full force. It's all about the digital processing so that the system knows where to properly send the sound.

Now when it comes to something like the 321 system do you realize what kind of room that system is designed for? A room roughly 15 by 15, closed in, with low ceilings. Now that normally falls into a bedroom setting. It's not our fault that some punk from Best Buy told them that our system would fill their 400 square foot room that has vaulted ceilings. By the way it's not a subwoofer, it's an acoustimass module(AM). Now why that makes such a big difference is because the AM uses wave guide channels to naturally amplify the sound unlike these guys who think that the more power your pushing to a speaker to make it sound better. It's hilarious. The point of that system is to be able to have an easy simple system to set up for those people who want better sound than their TV speakers but don't want all of the complications that come with setting up a huge surround sound system for their smaller room.

Now when it comes to the sound direction and imaging the system incorporates AdaptIq. This allows the system to adjust it's sound in many different frequency ranges no matter what the acoustics of your room are. This gives the system optimal sound from all of your speakers even your AM. Also with our videostage 5 processing it allows the sounds to distributed properly throughout your speakers

I only wish you could come into my store and I could show you how every part of what you've just said can be disproved. By the way if Bose is such a terrible sound quality then why are we still in business and why are we sold with so many different companies?

I don't want to have a pissing contest with you. I just enjoy friendly debates. It's always good to see both sides to the story. So I hope you don't take any of this personally.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts