Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks...

I have a zetec turbo and i need colder spark plugs than my stock NGK-TR6B-10
anyone knows a 9 heat range spark plug that is plug n play with the zetec engine??

I'm planning to install a TR7B-10 spark plugs. They are original from Ford Zetec Rocam Supercharger. But they still are too hot.
So i'll have to run on a richer a/f ratio... and this is no good... hehehe
Does anyone knows more tech info about the SVT spark plugs??

Thanks!

·
Registered
224 Posts
ford changed the part number to SP463

·
FF Affiliate
31,181 Posts
RushdB said:
Hi folks...

I have a zetec turbo and i need colder spark plugs than my stock NGK-TR6B-10
anyone knows a 9 heat range spark plug that is plug n play with the zetec engine??

I'm planning to install a TR7B-10 spark plugs. They are original from Ford Zetec Rocam Supercharger. But they still are too hot.
So i'll have to run on a richer a/f ratio... and this is no good... hehehe
Does anyone knows more tech info about the SVT spark plugs??

Thanks!
First get away from the NGK plugs , Second the heat range of the plug has little to nothing to do with AF

How much boost are you running and what are you trying to do?

I machine some VERY cold ranges of plugs for the Zetec there 20.00 each

Tom

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm using 0.8 bar ( i guess 0.8 bar = 11 psi ).
The engine has stock componentes, it is a Zetec Rocam 1.6L. I guess this engine does not exist in USA. But, the spark plugs are compatible.
The stock engine use those NGK TR6B-10, that are 6 heat range with 10mm of gap ( 0.040 in ).
The new fuel is etanol ( not methanol ). Stock is gasoline.

Using the 7 heat range spark plugs (0.25 in gaped), i'll run a richer a/f ratio. Doing this, i guess i'll avoid pre-ignition, because the extra fuel makes the combustion chamber colder.
It's like that, a lean af ratio melt the pistons, so a rich af ratio could make it colder...

The azfs22c spark plugs ( SP463 ) can be used in Zetec 1.8 16v? What is the heat range of those plugs?

thanks guys!!
Sorry for my bad english!

·
FF Affiliate
31,181 Posts
The US Zetec takes a 1 inch reach (.980) not sure what reach your rocam engine takes that would be the first thing i would check

The heat range of the plug DOES NOT set the heat in the combustion chamber DONT confuse the plugs heat range with the internal Cyl temp

With 11psi 1 to 2 heat ranges is all you need to go , what is the rated octane of your fuel

Tom

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Hey Tom, what plugs do you suggest for 15 lbs on an SVT, and what to gap them to. Runnin 93 octane. Sorry to hijack, just didnt want to start a whole new thread.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
1turbofocus said:
The US Zetec takes a 1 inch reach (.980) not sure what reach your rocam engine takes that would be the first thing i would check

The heat range of the plug DOES NOT set the heat in the combustion chamber DONT confuse the plugs heat range with the internal Cyl temp

With 11psi 1 to 2 heat ranges is all you need to go , what is the rated octane of your fuel

Tom
Sorry, i tought "gap" was the distance between the eletrode and the "tip" of the plug... It's almost 1 inch the length of the spark "screw"... i hope you understand what i'm trying to say...

Alcohol is rated at 110 octanes... But i'm not using a intercooler ( there is no free space to fit it... and i'll not cut my hood ), so i was wondering about using the 8 heat range plugs. The original plugs are rated at 6.

I know the heat range does not set the heat... But using a wrong plug ( hot ), the only way to avoid pre-ignition is running on a richer af ratio...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey, the gap is what i tought it were... ehehehhe...
The original gap is 1,0mm, i'm runnig 0,6mm now.
The diameter of the plug is 14mm. Lenght is 1 inch ( 25mm ). and the "wrench" size is 16mm. There is a note in the NGK table saying that this plug has a conical "sitting"... dont know how to translate this...

i guess this is the same plug size of the SVTs...

·
FF Affiliate
31,181 Posts
If your running 110 octane all the time then the stock plugs for 11psi will be fine , i wouldnt go much more then 2 head ranges with 110 octane , the bigger the gap the better TQ until you get a misfire , i would start at about .045 gap

Tom

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I've just bought 1 heat range colder than stock... NGK TR7B-10 plugs.
And they are the most simple product line of NGK, they aren't even the V.Power... Just "regular" plugs.

Where can i find better plugs?! Does the iridium plugs worth the money? Or should i use the AZFS22C plugs?? Do tou know the heat range of the AZFS22C??

1 - 13 of 13 Posts