Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey there new owner need some help!

I am trying to install some DRL LED strips that have a turn signal option. My plan is to splice them with quick connects at the harness into the parking light wire (gives me on off capability) and the turn signal wire to use the switchback turn signal functionality.

I have searched online to no avail to try and find out what wires are what and I can't find a definitive answer. Can some one please let me know what color or number the Parking light and Turn signal wires are for my 2013 stock harness ? Attached are pics of my drivers side front headlight harness if that helps.

Also am I looking at any issues by connecting directly to the headlight wires for the DRL ?

Thanks for the help and such an awesome community! [race]

link for larger pics: http://imgur.com/a/Ng5Lq#0

Attachments

·
Registered
102 Posts
I can't answer the question about which wire is which, but I do know that over time the quick connectors could become rusty inside and cause wiring issues. Wouldn't want that on headlights. I would try to either wire them directly to the battery or add an add a fuse to the headlamp fuse to connect them that way.

Do you have a volt meter to try to see which wire in that plug gets 12v with the parking lights on? Or when you turn the blinkers on?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Please look this Picture.

Pins
5 = Grey/Brown (GY/BN) = High beam
7 = Black/Yellow (BK/YE) = Ground
8 = Blue/Green (BU/GN) = Turn Signal
10 = Brown/Blue (BN/BU) = Low beam
12 = Yellow/Blue (YE/BU) = Position light

·
Registered
296 Posts
i wouldnt go with quick connectors...as stated they can corrode and cause connection issues. I would personally remove a bit of insullation from the correct wires and solder your connections. this will provide a better connection and cleaner looking install...then you can cover solder joint with electrical tape and i assume you will be using some kind of wire tubing to protect the harness for the drl? this is still a reversible instillation... you could either unsolder or just cut the wire to the DRL and wrap some tape over the loose end.

·
Registered
94 Posts
i wouldnt go with quick connectors...as stated they can corrode and cause connection issues. I would personally remove a bit of insullation from the correct wires and solder your connections. this will provide a better connection and cleaner looking install...then you can cover solder joint with electrical tape and i assume you will be using some kind of wire tubing to protect the harness for the drl? this is still a reversible instillation... you could either unsolder or just cut the wire to the DRL and wrap some tape over the loose end.
So it is right. [thumb][thumb][thumb]

·
Registered
1 Posts
Would it be best to put a resistor on the led DRL/ turn signal to get the turn signal to come on when the van is on?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts