Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
On a recent visit home my daughter said her blower didn't work in her 2000 Focus SE. I found the fuse blown so I replaced it. Then it only worked on HI. I pulled the resistor pack and the resistors were OK but what I assumed was a thermal breaker at the top of the resistor was open. I jumpered this and plugged it back in and now all speeds were fine. I didn't have time to source a replacement so I soldered a wire across the thermal breaker and sent her on her way with a functioning blower.

On her next trip home the blower now doesn't work at all. She now has another car to drive so I have the Focus here to work on. I haven't checked the fuse but I'm sure it's blown again. The resistor pack now has a nickle-sized blackened hole in the top :(

Are these symptoms of an intermittant short in the blower? Is it a known problem (there sure are a lot of them on eBay)? Considering a junkyard blower but not if it's a known issue.

How does the blower come out?

(edit)
LATER....

OK I've verified the blower is jammed or seized.
How does it remove?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I thought the whole blower housing had to come out but after some more Googling I found out there are 3 screws in the bottom of the housing that allow the motor & fan to drop out the bottom:

Remove the fiber cover from the bottom of the dash (3 plastic push pins). May not be present on all models.
Remove the glovebox (3 7mm screws).
Remove the one phillips-head screw at the 7 O'clock position on the housing which holds the footwell vent outlet. Wiggle the outlet off.
Disconnect the blower power plug from the bottom of the housing.
Remove 3 phillips screws from the bottom of the housing. A mirror & flashlight will help to see what you're doing. A stubby driver is handy to get the one out that's next to the firewall.
The fan & motor will drop right out.

Mine was rusted tight. Gotta find the leak.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts