Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2000-ZX3-DOHC

Was driving the car today and all of a sudden I'm losing power like the car is running on 3-cylinders. No CEL at that time. Car has a (mis) like a bad spark plug or wire.
Drove home about 4-miles and still no CEL. Car exhaust smells like UN-burned or burned gas or something (not normal). Pulled the plugs and checked the oil.
Those checked out.
When raising the RPM's the engine then smooths out while in park and the smell is still there. After raising the RPM's while in park the CEL is now on, but I don't have a code reader.

What could it be ? Injector, fuel pump, Filter or something else ?
Is it OK to drive it to Auto Zone (about 3-miles) and have them read the CEL ?

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Check the how-to section, there is a way to read CEL codes on the odometer, I'm not sure if it is on your year or not. How does the exhaust smell? Sound like your cat went.

·
DTC P0606
3,364 Posts
You can't read powertrain "P" DTCs (Diagnostic Trouble Codes) using the "odometer trick", you need to plug into the OBD-II port with a proper scanner.

To the OP; you likely won't damage anything driving that short a distance to get the code read. Sounds like you may have a simple misfire in which case the code will help isolate the offending cylinder. But rather than guess, read the code first and then proceed from there.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info.
I went ahead and changed the plugs, but the issue is still there. I'll get the code read today.
I remember changing the coil pack and wires about 2 years ago with new plugs.
If it is indeed a mis-fire would it give a nasty smelling odor from the exhaust ?
If a Cat-converter fails is it possible that it will fail all of a sudden ?
So with my description of the problem it doesn't appear to anybody that it could have anything to do with the injectors/fuel issues ?

Thanks again for your help.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quick update... the CEL Issue was #4 MIS-FIRE....
First of all ,thanks to all for your suggestions. Changed the wires and the issue was still there. Changed the coil pack and the problem went away.
I would have thought that a coil pack would have lasted a bit longer than 2-2 1/2 years.
Thanks again as she is running smooth now.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts