Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
i wear no pants
17,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so recently i have installed MAC cam gears. i reset them to 0*. everything is at TDC and everything like that. i also installed a FC 65mm throttle body and a steeda SRI with SVT box and snorkle. the car is idling very strange.

when i drive it and i pull the car out of gear to coast it will stay at whatever RPMS i was at last. what is causing this? could the throttle plate be messed up or sticking?

i feel a serious lack of power, the car seems to bog and i am pretty sure it is running rich. what should i do about this? tomorrow i am gonna try re installing the cam gears and everything and see if that helps at all. it is very strange to me that is it doing this. i dont like it one bit.

it is throwing codes and i will figure out what they are tomorrow when it is just idling it is around 1100 with the AC on and around 1300-1400 with the AC off and the car seems to take a long time to return to idle after a quick rev.

does anyone have any answers for this right now? any help would be much appreciated. thanks in advance.

·
Registered
921 Posts
Sounds more like your throttle position sensor was reinstalled wrong. Go to www.myzx3.com and check the diagram they have for the throttle body installation, and make sure you're correct.

·
Registered
8,262 Posts
If the throttle is sticking you probably don't have the screw that's to the left of the throttle linkage adjusted right. Its a 3mm allen screw with a spring on it, and what it does is keep the TB open just a hair to keep the engine from forming a vaccum seal behind it. If its not adjusted correctly you have to really push on the pedal to "break" the butterfly open, after which the throttle response is normal.

I would suspect an incorrectly installed TPS...check it against this image:

Also make sure that the socket on the TPS is in the roughly 7 o'clock position, you may have it on backwards which could also cause the problem you're experiencing.

If you're running rich I'd rule out a vaccum leak...that would make you run lean. Is the car throwing any CELs? It could also be something simple, like unplugging the battery for 10 minutes and letting the ECU reset itself.

·
Registered
789 Posts
also try tightening all of your exhaust bolts, header bolts as well. i had this problem and it turned out to be an exhaust leak. then i tightend all of the bolts, again, and it went back to normal.

·
i wear no pants
17,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i figured it out. it wasnt a leak. i forgot to plug the TPS back in which was messing with the throttle. and i reset the cam gears to -4* and it runs perfect now.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts