Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been lurking for a while and now it is time to seek some wisdom...

I am going to be doing a tune up on my 03zx5 auto. There is nothing wrong with the car but think its due for a little freshening up w/ 57k on the clock the car has been great.

So i am planning on plugs, wires, oil change, tranny oil and filter,...and thats where i am at.

I was thinking that I shoould also do fuel filter and pcv valve, but not sure if there is anyhting else that i am leaving out engine wise.

While the tune up is in progress thought I should upgrade parts aswell.

The most important thing for me with the car right now is gas mileage. I have been getting maybe 410-420 per tank and that is with a lot of hypermiling techniques, so whatever i can do to get my gas mileage up would be great.

Any ideas if i am going in the right direction I would appreciate the insight!

Thanks
David

·
Registered
4,107 Posts
that sounds good to me. im sure some will add in some stuff in. Just my 2 cents, clean the TB with some carb cleaner and a toothbrush, wipe dry. i do this once every 2 months.

where u located in pa?

·
Shot me 3 deer!!!
9,247 Posts
make sure u clean ur air filter too, or get a K&N drop in, it will improve mpg slightly !

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was actually planning on doing a warm air intake to try and get some better mileage, not sure if anyone with a focus has done it but has been proven to be really useful on a lot of other cars to get better mileage.

·
FocusXtreme
3,369 Posts
when you get to a quarter gas tank drop a bottle of seafoam in, also sprat half a can of seafoam deep creep in tb (with tb open and car off) and let sit for 5 min. start car and let it run for 1 min. after that while running use the red tube that comes with the bottle to spay another quarter bottle in. turn car off let sit for 5 min and go drive. you will see smoke out the exhaust and that is good. it is the carbon that was in your engine. and the buildup on your injectors and intake manifold. btw you can spray the other quarter can on your oil b4 you change it. it will clean up gunk and flush it out when you drain your oil.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
maybe take a look at the belts?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What about spark plugs, what would be the best ones for my application? I have seen a lot of people touting the copper cored motorcraft?

I will be using amsoil for all of my fluid changes to keep things consistent.

not sure if im missing anything else?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
anyone have any other possibilities i should be looking at ? or sprak plugs that would best suit my setup?

·
Registered
975 Posts
that sounds good to me. im sure some will add in some stuff in. Just my 2 cents, clean the TB with some carb cleaner and a toothbrush, wipe dry. i do this once every 2 months.

where u located in pa?
do not clean the throttle body. it has a coating in there for a reason. and there is also a sticker on the back of the TB that says to never clean it.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
wasn't planning on doing any kind of throttle body cleaning, but am wondering about the trans fluid change.

How many qts are needed for the change?

·
Registered
215 Posts
dang, you're getting over 400 a tank? Only other thing you could do is coolant flush, but thats not necessarily needed.

·
Registered
18 Posts
looks like you got a lot covered.... but dont forget about the EGR valve and tube...just do a look over and maybe clean out the egr valve and tube or replace, whichever condition its in.... i find that it helps with these little engines :)

-Also check out the MAF sensor... and distributor cap and what not, happy hunting

1 - 14 of 14 Posts