Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I already have a 2 inch by 9 inch glasspack replace the factory muffler. The rear resonator was removed and a nice Rectangular (??? I just wanted something other than a Fast and the Furious look [???:)] ) chrome tip was welded at the end to finish it off. I think it's borderline rice, cool sounding. It's got a nice deep rumble. I was not looking for performance so I just wanted a little bit louder sound but not "weed-wacker" like. Has any of you guys installed one in you Focus and what are your feelings about it? I am 50/50 about that's why I am asking. I was looking for something cheap ($15 for the glasspack) so that's why I ended up with this. I am considering replacing the glasspack with a Magnaflow muffler but afraid it might not sound good. I am looking for something that sound like "air" instead of a bee or low rumble. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the sound of the muffler, I am just afraid not many people appreciate it, so I am looking for something quieter. Any input?

·
Registered
73 Posts
I think you should be ok. To get that farty weed-wacker noise, you would need to remove the stock cat. But just messin with a muffler and a glasspack shouldnt make it sound too bad. I ran with a ricer can on mine for a while and it sounded great. That is untill i got the race header.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
if you dont want the noise of a muffler get a silencer or something like that

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
you are right viney. you do get what you pay for but in some cases what they pay for is what they want right?

·
Registered
25,621 Posts
Good point fabster! True, some of my customers love the sound of certain exhausts that I think sound like a$$.. so, yes, sound as is style is a very subjective thing.

·
Registered
41 Posts
If your thinking people aren't aprreciating your exhaust, your probably right. I got passed by a SVT with a rice can yesterday and wonder how much different it must sound to the owner because it souded like azz to me. I think exhaust is like anything interpretive, when it is something special people know. My grandfather drove a wickedly tuned ( restored from junkyard> bored, cammed, dual carbs, header etc...) 1959 356 Porsche for most of my youth. That thing was hard to have conversations in it was so loud, but no one ever complained because it sounded crisp, healthy and just plain "good". Same thing when a 69 Hemi Charger with open headers rolls by, loud as hell but it speaks to the inner part of most people enough that they respect what it is. Now you throw a $15 glasspack on a stock focus and even though it may be quiter than those two cars, the majority of people will find it annoying and think it sounds like crap. If you are going sing in public make sure you have a good voice, otherwise keep your stock exhaust and enjoy your radio.

·
Registered
158 Posts
when i bought my car it had glasspacks on it. for a while i kinda resented it cuz i dont wanna seem like some ricey poser. but you know what, i didn't put on the glasspax and i dont have anything to replace it with so now its growing on me. sure a cat-back would be ideal but i dont have that kind of money===glasspack for now

·
Registered
25,621 Posts
" When you sing in public make sure you have a good voice" ?, I really like that and think I'll use it in the future, thank you, It is very hard to explain that concept to people..My wife even see's it in me, we will be at a car show and 50 loud cars will go by and 1 will go by and my head will turn ..and it is ALWAYS the sound..the sound of a REAL healthy built motor that is tuned just right, sounds like nothing else!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts