Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wifes little focus died on her today and wouldnt start. I got it to start and it sounded like it was out of gas, so I put a couple of gollans in it and it started and still sounded like it was out of gas. I put a fuel filter on it(cheap and easy)on the side of the road. It started and still sounds like its out of gas. When you give it gas it will rev up for a minute then die, if you drop it in gear it will die. I went to check the fuel pressure but theres no fitting on the rail to check it. i dont want to just go buy a fuel pump cause i can hear the pump run. Any ideas? Anybody had this kind of problem before?
Any help would be appreciated,
Thanks

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
ive never had that problem before. cant really say that i can help you out here. im just sorry to hear about your wifes car. by the way welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It sucks, I just put a EVO3 body kit on it for her, and when i picked it up with the tow truck, it caught the front bumper and cracked it all to pieces. So now i have to fix that and try to repaint the flames so they will match. It better be lucky its a ford, if was something else, I would throw it over the hill( But I probably wouldnt own it either)

·
Focus Addict
1,245 Posts
Yeah, most likely the fuel pump. Search the forums because I think there is some type of extended recall on the pump. Good Luck.

·
Registered
793 Posts
yes check for the recall im just now going to get my pump done

·
Registered
894 Posts
FUEL PUMP< FUEL PUMP< FUEL PUMP................Take it to ford they will pay for a new one.............there is an open recall or a service bulletin out............but they will pay for it...........

·
Registered
50 Posts
Hmm.. I'm not saying it's not the fuel pump but I had a similar thing happen to me once, I was almost out of gas, but I was late for an appointment so I decided I could chance it.

When I'm almost where I should be, I drive over a speed bump, and shortly there after the car starts running badly, I rev it and the rpms go up, reluctantly, but if I take my foot of the petal it dies. It was very hard to start it, and it would die almost immediately after starting.

I figured I was out of gas.

I managed to get it halfway up on a sidewalk, and I ran to the nearest gas station, got four liters of gas, and put in my tank. Afterwards I still had problems starting, and it died almost instantly after starting.

I popped the hood, and a clasp holding the air-induction thingy to the throttle body had come loose, and the throttle body was half exposed!! [:(]

I ran to a hardware store in the mall I was next to, got a screw driver, loosened the clamp (hope it's the right word, I'm icelandic and I know the icelandic word for this) put the hose, or tube back on the TB, fastened tight. went back into my car, started up... ran just fine [:)]

Well, don't know if this matters, but the symptoms sounded similar :)

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
i wasnt aware there was a recall on the fuel pump, how long ago did it come out?

anyway sounds like your fuel pump, but if there is no recall, and u didnt buy an extended warranty sounds like your SOL and paying for a new one.

·
Registered
456 Posts
EuroZX3 said:
i wasnt aware there was a recall on the fuel pump, how long ago did it come out?
A while ago, there was at least one thread if not two on it. Try searching for it. The recall was like they'd only replace it once it failed not before so you had to wait for yourself to get stranded then they'd pay for it.

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
hmm thats kind of lame. do they replace the gas tank too? ill have to see if i can find a buddy at ford to more or less act like i got stranded and just get it done that way :)

·
Registered
793 Posts
hmm went to get my pump done and nope.... not the pump the DPFE, same symptoms as the pump but different diagnosis....hmm wonder if ford is up to something??

·
Registered
47 Posts
Make sure you didn't activate the fuel shut off switch located in the passenger side kick panel.It is right behind the the little picture of the gas pump with a line through it.It is a plunger type button.Push it and see if you problem goes away.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts