Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, just found out about this great forum with a lot of helpful information, glad to have you guys around [thumb]

I am trying to change the alternator of my 2003 LX from the top. I did many searches here and gathered close to complete steps to do that job: Remove the coolant tank, power steering tank, evaporative emission valve, engine wiring loom bracket, etc...

Just two things I am surprised is that no one ever mentioned about: the driving belt and the two rubber tubes directly above the alternator?

I guess something has to be done to loose the belt and to detach the two rubber tubes, no? I found the belt very tight and the tubes blocking. So are they required to be loosen and detached? And if yes, how do you do that?
The two tubes I mean these two in red, connecting to the engine

And yes, I am trying to do the job from above, not from the bottom, thanks everyone!

·
has a screw loose
9,927 Posts
Not sure about the Zetec but on my Duratec , I had to work on it from the bottom also . From my understanding you need to loosen the passenger side motor mount and get an assistant to help tilt the motor forward after you get everything loose and the alternator comes out the top.

I got lucky and didn't have to loosen my motor mount but I did have to take a valve off the firewall and it also came out the top pulley side 1st.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks FocusedSlayer, but like I said, I will have to do it from the top.

And Mother Focus, I have read that link of yours before I made this topic already. If you have also read that, it mentioned nothing about that two rubber tubes I purposely mentioned, thats why I made this topic [facepalm]

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Thanks FocusedSlayer, but like I said, I will have to do it from the top.

And Mother Focus, I have read that link of yours before I made this topic already. If you have also read that, it mentioned nothing about that two rubber tubes I purposely mentioned, thats why I made this topic [facepalm]
That's because you don't need to move them, alternator won't come out straight up, pull it out sideways, rotate and up. Maybe you should get a Haynes manual.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts