Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I took the car to be inspected and got a call this afternoon from the dealer.

They are saying that when they plug the car in it shows that its a 2003 and not a 2004.

And they found out that the CEL light was pulled from the dash. After I got the car home this afternoon, I pulled the ECU from the car.

Can anyone verift this is the correct ECU for an 2004 svt focus? 4S4A-12A650-ZA

I am thinking that either its the wrong ECU or it a bad tune on the car.

If its a bad tune, how would I go about putting the stock tune on the car, or would it be easier to put a new ecu in?

Also, I checked with my xcal2 from my mustang, the car is throwing some codes. p0133...p1000 and p1381.. Ive researched all of these and am not going to worry about those at the moment till I get the problem with the ECU figured out. I dont want to be hunting down problems that could go away with a corrected ecu.

Also, I have the pleasure of finding out the car needs all new tires, a new radiator support, a battery, some random bulbs and if code p1381 ( cvariable cam timing over advance) doesnt clear with the ECU im going to be even more pissed.

Awsome day... [bigcry]

·
I AM DA FOCI FANATIC
3,715 Posts
P1000 is normal with custom tunes.

It most likely is a 2003 ECU, a bad tune will not cause it to tell a different year. But that doesn't matter. All SVT ECU's will work as long as they have been reflashed for the PATS system.

Your Ford dealer can reflash the stock tune to the car, that should solve the timing problem. Unless someone installed the cams wrong.

·
WhiteSTguy
5,390 Posts
Something does sound fishy, you do have to admit. Where did you buy the car from? Since they even had the dash opened, they could have messed with the odometer or swapped the gauge cluster from a car with lesser milage. Also since they switched the ECU with another also clues that maybe it was a theft recovery some other kind of accident/damage. It was throwing codes so they pulled the CEL bulb to make the new owner think there is nothing wrong with it.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
IM thinking that something happened to the ECU, the guy swapped in another, coudnt get rid of the CEL's so he pulled the bulb. Either way, my plan is to make the car right.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, I found an ECU I can use, so I ordered it. Also, I pulled the dash cluster and found the the check engine bulb was pulled. Also, its missing the small grey plastic part that holds the bulb in place. Anyone know where to get one?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, that was easy enough. Apparently I forgot I had a spare dash for my mustang. so I pulled the bulb and twist socket... A little dremmel action and put the new bulb in the focus cluster.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts