Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Need some help from the tire experts!

1K views 15 replies 7 participants last post by  focusin 
#1 ·
Ok people, I run my 06 ZX3 on the FRPP suspension and have the 17" EAP SVT wheels. I currently have 215-45-17 (stock SVT tire size) nitto neogens, and scrub on the some of the lightest of turns. I did read the wheel and tire info and I am considering going to 205-40-17 and wanted to get some general info on them and some pictures of that size tire on a 17" rim would be great.

I scrub on the inside of the fender lip at the very top, its that 1/4" of metal that the wheel well sticks under also under sharper turns the tire scrubs the front of the wheel well on both sides.

Last question is for 2006-2007 FRPP Suspension owners only, it feels as if the front springs are extremely soft. I say this mainly b/c I am running stock SVT rims/tire size on a basicly stock "SVT MOCK" suspension and have a hell of a scrubbing problem. I do plan on a Swaybar upgrade but do any of you have this problem?

Thanks for the help.
Jon

#2 ·
as far as the rubbing issues, a 205-40 will deff give you much more clearance between the tire and fender, but its a smaller sidewall and you will give up ride quality. a 215-40 or a 205-45 might be a better route to go, all depends on how much you rub, light to moderate then a 215-40 would work, moderate 205-45, really bad then go with the 205-40

#3 ·
Thanks for the help.

I consider it to rub pretty bad, it scrapes under very light turns with only me in the car and even worse with a passenger. The killer part is it rubs on the passenger front the most of all, I'm not too worried about the ride quality the roads here are fine but if I were to travel to lets say Mississippi or north alabama it can get pretty bad.

At that low of a profile how much more danger am I putting my wheels in for bending?

#6 ·
yeah just be careful with what you drive over, and you should be fine, the shorter side will will put you at more risk of course, but there is much shorter tires out there then what you would be running

#9 ·
You have a combination problem.

Reducing the width of the tire to a 205 will buy you a little more clearance, but not a lot. In fact, only about 10 mm.

Reducing the sidewall height is the same issue.

So, with spirited cornering, you will probably still rub to an extent.

I would recommend 2 things.

Stick with the 215/45R17 wheel & tire combination.

Remove a portion of the fender liner (mine are gone completely) and consider "rolling" the fender".

Any body shop or someone skilled with a baseball bat (yes, a baseball bat) can do this.

It will create a slight "flare" in the wheel arch that will give you the additional clearance you need.

I have not rolled my fenders and get some rubbing in the rear.

For AX and the track, I run 225/40R17 Hoosiers or 235/35R17 Toyos with no rubbing in the front.

Just my .02 worth...

Good luck! [thumb]

#10 ·
Please verify....Is it rubbing on the metal fender lip or on the plastic inner fender liner? If on the fender lip the fix is per WeeAsp's reply. If you do use the baseball bat method the paint should be heated on the corner of the fender to prevent it from cracking. This is why someone with experience is very helpful. If its rubbing on the fender liner, you can remove the tire and heat the liner with a heat gun and carefully re-mold it a little (push it upwards for more clearance) where it is rubbing.

#11 ·
Odd that you are rubbing with the stock tire size and rim. Those Nitto's must be huge compared to other tires. I would stay with the 215/45 but maybe another brand like bridgestone would fit better. 2nd choice is a gentle roll of the fender lip, 3rd choice being camber plates and 4th is a smaller size tire.

#12 ·
Geezer its rubbing both, it hits the metal lip under hard non sharp turns lets say like a 30 degree turn. Its scrubs the plastic only under hard sharp turns about 45 degrees or more while at the same time hitting the metal lip.

Thanks for all the help guys, rolling the fenders will be damn difficult for me b/c I don't know anyone who could do that nor do I trust anyone enough around here to let them attempt to do it. As for scrubbing the plastic, thats scrubbing so little its just a scuff mark its not a large worn hole or anything.

It looks like I'm stuck with just using smaller tires, I need a new set as it is so its no big deal buying these the next thing I am going for is the FS front lower brace. If thats not enough I will be getting bigger sway bars!

Also I forgot to mention I never scrubbed with my stock 16" rims and tires

#14 ·
Sounds like you need to roll only a little of the fender. These a tool designed to do it without damage. Call around to a few body shops as this is where its commonly done. My guess echoes your original comment...the spring rates are too low for the amount of lowering.
I'll call a few places and get a price, as for the spring rate being to low for the height I would hope not. Its the ford racing kit for the 06...[?|]

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.