Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. I'm having a problems with my newest purchase focus.
It's a 2010 focus sedan. It keeps trowing the po642 code. . To took the dealer they told me it needed a new computer. Said it be 1000+ bucks. However I had the car for about 6 months and already ha replace the transmission can get ac to work even if life depended on it and the car has 47000 miles. I can get a used ecu but can I take it or shipped it some were to have it reprogram other than the dealer. I'm tired of spending money on this car. My 97 focus with 186000 miles runs better this pos. Any help would be apreciated.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Moved to General Tech Chat.

'97 Focus would be valuable - only one in existence.

All I find for that Ford specific code is "ref. voltage too low". Causes are shorted sensor, shorted harness, ECU faulty.

This refers to the 5v reference voltage the ECU sends to various sensors.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Woops. 02 model. Was thinking of my 97 expedition.. I know what the code means but is there a way to fix it or is ecu replacement necessary. I hate to keep expending money on this car and keep having problems.. it really shouldn't have those type of problems for a low milege vehicle

·
Premium Member
21,250 Posts
WAIT WAIT!!!!

You should check the black box first. Under the hood, at the front right side of the engine (which is in the back of the engine compartment) there is a little 1" square box that is about 1.5" tall. One wire going to that box comes from the coil/FI harness, the other wire goes over to the right hand shock tower. That's probably the easiest way to find that box is to look for the wire coming off the shock tower. Following the wire going back to the coil/FI harness, you'll run into a connector. Unplug it. Now clear the code and see if it comes back. IF not, replace the "radio interference capacitor (or filter). That is what the black box is, it does serve a purpose, but it won't hurt for it to be disconnected for a test or a short time.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok k. I will try that. I'm open to suggestions at this point. I just hate to get rid of the car if I can't fix the problem. I really enjoy driving it.

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
Hey guys. I'm having a problems with my newest purchase focus.
It's a 2010 focus sedan. It keeps trowing the po642 code. . To took the dealer they told me it needed a new computer. Said it be 1000+ bucks. However I had the car for about 6 months and already ha replace the transmission can get ac to work even if life depended on it and the car has 47000 miles. I can get a used ecu but can I take it or shipped it some were to have it reprogram other than the dealer. I'm tired of spending money on this car. My 97 focus with 186000 miles runs better this pos. Any help would be apreciated.
I can look into some options. Please send me a private message with your VIN, mileage, best daytime phone, full name, and dealer name/location.

Meagan

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have an 09 that the ECU is supposed to be bad on also looking for fixit options here is a link to my question hope I can do this and hope it helps
would love to fix this car will be perfect for my family my 05 zx5 was to small to fit 3 car seats in the back seat so it got sold and I liked that styling on that car.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts