Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My fiancé and I have been looking for a car for awhile and we have recently decided on the focus. I have been a very active and hardcore enthusiast with my 03 mitsu lancer oz that I’ve had for five years now and I have taken the past few hours to review various threads and what not in this forum. I have determined that we are looking at what I believe to be the first generation focus(2000-07), *correct me if I’m wrong* and I’ve noted that the s,se did not come with sway bars nor brackets to mount one on and the ses did. (small things like this matter to me). I'm new to the ford denominations so if someone could break the s,se,ses,zts,zx down for me according to what you get with each package that would be great. Also am I right in thinking that the zx stands for hatchback?... I would like to know if there is a particular motor I should avoid or look for. I have ample time to look for this car so I can afford to be picky. lol

·
Registered
62 Posts
SVT focus.... enough said. :)

·
Hatch Nation #136
2,043 Posts
You want a 2003 ZX3 with a 2.3L Duratech, or a 2002-2004 SVT Focus.

/Thread

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
See the thing is, is that the fiancé wants a 4door sedan, i dont believe the svt came that way did it?

·
Hatch Nation #136
2,043 Posts
The only way to get a four door SVT is as the hatch (5 door).

You can get an ST Focus as a sedan.

·
Hatch Nation #136
2,043 Posts
Depends on who you ask.

The ST is the performance varient of the 2008-2010 Foci. 2.3L Duratec, stick, decent suspension.

If you want a hot FoFo, you have to go SVT.

·
br/o/stang
5,563 Posts
Depends on who you ask.

The ST is the performance varient of the 2008-2010 Foci. 2.3L Duratec, stick, decent suspension.

If you want a hot FoFo, you have to go SVT.
ST was made from 2005-2007

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I just read that the 2000-04 2.0L spi sohc motor has a tendancy to drop valves in cylinders 4 and 2, is this the common 2.0L motor in most focus?

·
Hatch Nation #136
2,043 Posts
The ZETEC is the DOHC motor. The SPI is the SOHC.

The ZETEC was more common, but it is worth looking at the motor before buying one.

·
Jetsetter
6,659 Posts
If you Haven't already these are worth reading thru

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=179098

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Focus_(first_generation)

^ Scroll down to the north american section

Seeing as you want a sedan the ONLY performance version is the 05-07 ST
as far as other sedans go you are correct in that they did not come with a rear sway bar nor the mounts, however Steeda makes a kit to add one http://www.steedafocus.com/parts/ford-focus-steeda-rear-swaybar.html

Now while this is my opinion, Stay away from the SVT. Yes they are fun, Yes they look great, However the last svt was made in 04 so the newest one you can find is 7 years old, and chances are they will have a bunch of miles on them, there are some that look new with low miles but they are hard to find.

The 2.0 Zetec is the common motor 00-04 its a solid motor that ford used for years before the focus, most people don't have any problems with these engines. Also there is a huge aftermarket support for the zetec.

the 2.0 SPI is the one your talking about with the dropped valves, this is the most common problem with these engines, sometimes it happens early on and others go 200,000mi before they go. And from what I've seen on these boards over the years most people replace with a zebec when it does happen.

the 2.0 Duratec is the standard motor for the 05-07 focus, great solid motor, I don't see too many problems with them from people on the board. Easy to mod and responds well to bolt on's

2.3 Duratec is what you will find in the 05-07 ST and also found in some 03-04 foci.

All around the focus is a good little car, as long as it has been maintained thru the years you will be very happy with it.

·
Registered
62 Posts
The svt focus I found in Ohio all have under 120k which is decent. As he said before he has the time to be picky. I have an 04 SVT 5door with 98k miles, that I just bought about 2 months ago. They are worth the wait to find a nice one.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So ive been reading about the badges and i now understand all of that but the article left out the ZTS, where and how does it fit into the line up, is it a previous version of the ses?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
If anyone reading this has any questions, pm me i have spent the last five hours pouring over focus material and whats called what. Now that i know what i need, i just have to find it. Thanks to all that helped.

·
Registered
62 Posts
So what did you decide would be the best focus model for you? jw

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
A 2000-2004 ZTS, if at all possible( street edition sedan version, Mach Audio version, or the centennial edition) and also any 2005-07 s,se,ses but really just prefer ses for those model years. things we are looking for in this group would be power moon roof, heated mirrors (or pre wired for it) and fog lights, automatic as well.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Good choice, Focus. I just got a 2012 Focus Hatchback. I had a Silver 2002 ZX5. Now my son drives it. We couldn't bear to part with it and he needed a new car to go to school in. Now we are a 2 Foci family. You won't regret it, Focuses are good little workhorses!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts