Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My focus is right around 79k miles and it's starting to get some issues. First problem is a smell of gas when it's idling and the fuel mileage on it has dropped to right around 26 MPG which is a bad thing. I'm so use to getting around 31 MPG. Also the car is blowing oil pass the dip stick. Thought it was a bad o ring on the dip stick so I bought a new dip stick from my local dealership but it didn't stop the oil blowing pass the dip stick so I've decided to turn to everyone here. Also I always change my oil every 5k miles and rotate the tires. I also put a small bottle of Lucas fuel treatment in at the same time. So any help with this would be freaking awesome. Thanks.

·
Old Phart
44,595 Posts
Smell of gas WHERE?

If you actually are smelling gas it's a first priority to find out what's leaking!

Next, have you looked at spark plugs yet?

Done a compression test?

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The smell of gas in from the exhaust so I think the car is running rich for some reason. No I haven't checked the plugs because the maintenance aspect for the car says to change them out at 100k miles. Also haven't had a compression test done.

·
Old Phart
44,595 Posts
100k before touching plugs is nutz, if one happened to corrode from being in there that long untouched you can take threads right out of the head when removing it.

Half that is nice for removal, checking, never-seize and reinstall. Many swap them out by 80k as they start to wear out. (even though the newest are better for long life)

The car CAN'T run rich for longer than the warm up period without a CEL. Even if the O2 sensor was crap THAT would get reported. BUT I always like the basics of looking for yourself, just on the odd chance it gives you useful info.. That's where a peek at the plugs comes in. CEL's don't happen right away if it's not BADLY off, so you can get a jump on issues when suspected. (Pending code then CEL - it can take a while if you aren't checking)

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll check the plugs tomorrow and go from there. If they still look good I'll clean them and check the gap.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,452 Posts
I'll check the plugs tomorrow and go from there. If they still look good I'll clean them and check the gap.
Throw new ones at it, 100k plugs come on. Heck your having issues & not changing plugs.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I pulled the plugs and cleaned and gap them. There was some carbon and fuel deposits on the plugs. The gap was off on the plugs but after correcting that issue the fuel smell went away and the power loss I was having was also corrected. Gonna replace the plugs at 80k. What's a good brand to use Autolite, Mortorcraft etc.

·
Registered
650 Posts
I pulled the plugs and cleaned and gap them. There was some carbon and fuel deposits on the plugs. The gap was off on the plugs but after correcting that issue the fuel smell went away and the power loss I was having was also corrected. Gonna replace the plugs at 80k. What's a good brand to use Autolite, Mortorcraft etc.
OEM Motorcraft is my choice but Autolite is good. I will usually go to the one with the best rebate in the store.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was looking into the Motorcraft plugs but when I called my local dealership the plugs for the car is around 50 bucks. The Motorcraft plugs is 11.99 a piece. Autolite XP plugs are 6 bucks a piece.

·
Registered
466 Posts
you should check oreillys then, less than $6 for motocraft a piece. the dealer is always gonna mark stuff up

·
Registered
205 Posts
The main thing that concerns me is the oil coming out of the dipstick. Sounds like you have a build up of pressure within the engine. All engines have a certain amount of gas that passes the piston rings into the crankcase. This is normal, but the pressure needs to be released through the ventilation system which passes the gasses back into the inlet to be burnt.

I suspect there is a blockage in one of the pipes. Crankcase pressure does weird things to engines. There might be an electrically controlled valve that isn't opening when it should.

Are you seeing any other oil leaks from the engine?

·
Registered
2006 ZX3, 2005 ZX5
363 Posts
You got a 2014 you need to take her in for warranty check.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts