Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
12 years strong
6,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was at the mall earlier and i saw a yellow zx3 with his stock rims painted like a gunmetal. it looked good as shit and was wondering what is involved in doing this. i think i remember someone talkin about this earlier but i cant find the thread. any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I did this with my stock 16's. All you have to do it go to murray's or meijer and buy the wheel paint. Take the wheels off, tape them off, sand them down lightly to get any particles off them, and then paint away. I think i put about 4 coats of paint, and 2 coats of clear coat on mine. They look awesome especially on the yellow. My car use to be in the showroom if you want to see them. Most people don't even realize they're stock, they have to ask to make sure.

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
taking off the silver paint? the stock silver finish that comes on the wheels? um... just paint it. don't remove... just sand and paint whatever color you really want it to be. :)

·
Registered
10,024 Posts
i used black low gloss engine enamel, got it at wal mart, and primered it w/ flat black primer just a little bit, all you have to sand off is the clear coat, and i didnt bother taping it off, who cares if a little black or gunmetal paint gets on the tires

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
"Okay how about the opposite of this. Taking off the silver paint?? What's the best way if anyone knows"

Best way is to get some paint remover from an auto paint supply store. Follow instructions carefully, as this is some BAD stuff. I had to replace a wheel on my '03 focus. Has the 5 spoke 16" wheels. On the back was part #'s for both painted and polished wheels!! I have never seen a polished wheel on a focus. Beware... if you take the paint off the stock wheel, you may need to do LOTS of polishing to make it look good. The finnish standard for a painted wheel isn't as good as a polished one.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Aren't the S2 wheels poloshied?? I own an S2, but my wheels are all bent that's why I want to know how to remove the paint, but if it's going to be too much. I'll just leave the other set that I am soon to get alone.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I didn't primer mine either. And you can probably pick up wheel paint at any automotive store. Maybe autozone or pep boys or whatever you have around there. The actual wheel paint has like metal flake in it and is pretty much indistructable. But whatever you can get your hands on i guess. I wasn't really worried about getting paint on the tires as much as getting the silver lip around the wheel.

·
AKA Calamity Jane
1,610 Posts
JESS, I couldn't find your pic in the showroom, I don't think it's there anymore. Do you have any pics you can post? I want gunmetal rims so bad, but I'm strapped for cash, so this would be a good option for me.

·
Registered
671 Posts
If you want to remove the paint use Aircraft Paint remover. This stuff is evil. If you get it on your skin it will burn! Use gloves and be very carful.

·
AKA Calamity Jane
1,610 Posts
Whoa, that's pretty cool. Like kttnmouthkngs, I don't have a Murray's around me, but I'm definitely gonna look at autozone or advance and see if they have any. it looks so fly. I'm gonna paint my calipers red and my wheels gunmetal, i think that would look pretty cool on a liquid grey...any one disagree with me...not that I need approval...I just need to know if anyone else has done it and hated it.

·
Registered
29 Posts
hey guys could one of you send me like complete instructions on how to do this because it looks rawkus for real i'm wantin to do it too...PM me or just reply thanks guys

and if anyone else has tried it and has pics please feel free to post them

·
Registered
5 Posts
Talk to someone in powder coating buisness, they can clean you rims and give them a paint job that will last. May cost more but if done right it will look great.

·
Registered
10,024 Posts
ok sorry i missed this rhread,too emmilee like severmonths ago they arnt clear coated, gloss or clearcoat would make them higher maintenance and be harder to paint, basically you just sand off some of the clearcoat on the stock wheels, it will look like some white powdery stuff coming off and it will be some work to get it off, you also need to get off as much of the road grime as you can on the back of the wheels to make a good uniform coat that looks proffesional, then you just apply several thin even coats of paint (i used flat black high heat engine enamel which has a ceramic sort of coating in it)

1 - 20 of 33 Posts