Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to get a new 2012 focus pretty soon (probably in the next month or so) and wanted to know a few things:

First, I noticed that Ford has sort of changed the way they package features and pricing. Does the SE model come with Sync by default? It's sort of confusing on Ford's website as to whether it does with the SE or not.

Second, does anyone know how much adding cruise to the car (when new, not aftermarket) would be?

Third, what, if any, rebates are out there that will be around at least until the end of the month? I'm aware of the Recent College Grad rebate for $500, but is there anything else?

Anything else I should know? Basically I'm looking for a fairly basic package... main features I'm looking for is the Automatic with Cruise Control and Sync.

·
Registered
207 Posts
you can go to ford.com and build your car the way you want to get an idea of pricing and options.

i don't think base car comes with sync

·
Registered
29 Posts
Base SE does not include cruise or sync. The cruise option package is about 400$ and also comes with some perimeter alarm and map lights. Not sure what the sync option package costs.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK.... I was also looking at some pics of the car with an automatic, and I don't see where the emergency brake is. This is a bit odd. Then I compared to cars w/ the MT and it's right next to the stick. The autos seem to have a coin tray where the brake lever sits on the MT version. Does the AT version NOT have a parking brake handle???

I would hope this is standard on all Focus models....

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Base SE does not include cruise or sync. The cruise option package is about 400$ and also comes with some perimeter alarm and map lights. Not sure what the sync option package costs.
OK, then if I spend the extra $800 and got the Sync and MyFord system, that would include cruise control then, correct? I guess part of me says I might as well get the MyFord Touch for the extra $400 since I'd apparently have to spend almost $400 just to get cruise.

I've loved Ford vehicles pretty much from way back when, but lately their pricing schemees have been rather confusing and in a way, unfair. I mean, I'm also looking at a Honda Fit as well, which has everything I need (including Cruise and the equivalant of the USB/Sync system) and the car is about $2000+ less than the Focus. It bothers me that other car companies will include certain features like Cruise or fog lamps with the standard vehicle, and Ford likes to charge extra for all of this stuff.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OK, but look at this:
http://www.ecarlist.com/showroom/2168/photos/1543440#12

This car is an SE model, but it doesn't seem to have the e-brake in the same location (or it's not even there).

I'm not going to buy this exact car, but am using it as an example for my question. I don't see (from the side view) the e-brake lever anywhere.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
sorry, look at the link I just fixed above. yes, the previous one I posted did, but the link I just posted doesn't seem to. At least, I can't see one.

I just want to make sure it's standard, and not part of some option.

·
Registered
524 Posts
i'm sure it's hidden behind the front seat.

i'll let someone who own an SE with automatic comment on here...
Yep, there are only two locations for it. One is left of the shifter and the other is left of the cup holders. The referenced pictures just don't have the angle to see the emergency brake clearly.

What puzzles me about those photographs is the L on the shifter instead of the S. I thought all the automatics had the sports mode (S).

·
Registered
8 Posts
I own an automatic SE, and yes it does have the emergency brake. The pictures don't show the e-brake because it's down near the cup-holders beside the seat. In the other pics where you can see the e-brake, that's the location of a small (pretty useless to me so far) cubby-hole beside the shifter.

Hope that helps!

·
Registered
221 Posts
I'm looking to get a new 2012 focus pretty soon (probably in the next month or so) and wanted to know a few things:

First, I noticed that Ford has sort of changed the way they package features and pricing. Does the SE model come with Sync by default? It's sort of confusing on Ford's website as to whether it does with the SE or not.

Second, does anyone know how much adding cruise to the car (when new, not aftermarket) would be?

Third, what, if any, rebates are out there that will be around at least until the end of the month? I'm aware of the Recent College Grad rebate for $500, but is there anything else?

Anything else I should know? Basically I'm looking for a fairly basic package... main features I'm looking for is the Automatic with Cruise Control and Sync.
Without reading all the other posts, I'll give you my own feedback here.

The SE doesn't come with much as a base, manual transmission, power windows/locks, fog lamps, 16 inch steel wheels with caps, and it does have the secondary audio controls on the steering wheel.

The automatic transmission adds around $1100 to the price of the car. The convenience package is what adds the cruise control, map lights, and perimeter alarm. The MyFord & SYNC package is what adds the SYNC stuff, including voice activated stuff.

Now, you need to do the math, a base SE without anything extra starts at $17,270, so adding automatic will bring you up to 18,370 on the 4-door sedan. The 5-door starts at 18,065 for the SE with manual and nothing else, and you then go to $19,165 for the 5-door SE with automatic.

Adding the other packages will add another $1100 to the price.

On the flip side, the Focus SEL without any added options has those features plus some more and ends up only $600 more. So, if the extra $600 over the price of the SE with automatic isn't going to kill you, a BASE SEL without any other packages is your best option. Don't let them nickle and dime you to add this or that if you are doing this. Factory order a base SEL in either 4-door or 5-door, and you get far more than your basic car, or you go with a SE with automatic and MAYBE add SYNC or convenience package for your basic car.

I made sure to get the 5-door SEL with nothing extra since money IS tight these days due to the economy. Well worth the extra money compared to a SE with 203A added.

Running the build site for the automatic including destination charges:
4-door SE with 203A: $20,485.
5-door SE with 203A: $21,285.
4-door SEL with 300A(nothing extra): $21,095
5-door SEL with 300A: $21,895

Note these prices do not include taxes or fees your state may tack on to the price.

As I said, the SEL is only $600 or so more than the SE with the extra features added, and you get a significant bump in terms of overall quality and features.

The prices actually went up a little in terms of the price and the destination charges on the build site since the last time I checked, but these prices are current.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Yep, there are only two locations for it. One is left of the shifter and the other is left of the cup holders. The referenced pictures just don't have the angle to see the emergency brake clearly.

What puzzles me about those photographs is the L on the shifter instead of the S. I thought all the automatics had the sports mode (S).
Nope, Sports mode is only included with SelectShift, which is also included when you get the Sports Package on the SE. The SEL and Titanium have SelectShift included in the base for those trims.

·
Registered
132 Posts
OK.... I was also looking at some pics of the car with an automatic, and I don't see where the emergency brake is. This is a bit odd. Then I compared to cars w/ the MT and it's right next to the stick. The autos seem to have a coin tray where the brake lever sits on the MT version. Does the AT version NOT have a parking brake handle???

I would hope this is standard on all Focus models....
This perplexed me too. On S / SE models, the center console is configured differently, with a less "premium" emergency brake (very similar to that of '11 and before models) which is placed down by the driver's seat cushion, and an oddly shaped nook to the left of the shifter. Does any one know why this is? Why not just make all consoles the same as the SEL / Titaniums? (There seems to be no functional difference).

The emergency brake on SEL / Titanium models takes place of the oddly shaped nook, and is much more elegantly shaped. Also, as a result you get a larger armrest console.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
What the sales guy told me at the local dealer was that the only models that have the "S" are those with the SelectShift option, which I guess is an extra $1000 or so upgrade (you have to get the package with SelectShift).

I thought, myself, that all automatics came with the paddle shifters on the wheel, but apparently it's only with the Titanium model, which I'm not going to spend that much money.

Too bad (correctly me if I'm wrong) you can't geth it with the SEL model, or the SE model (as an add-on).

I guess to me, my 2011 didn't have it and I didn't really ever find a need for the option anyway. Just test driving the new engine with the 6-spd Auto gave me enough to consider the 2012 Focus a worthy choice for me. I'm still looking at other brands/models, but the Focus is still high on the list... I just islike having to pay extra for common features like cruise and map lights, etc. I'd take the cruise over the standard fog lamps as a standard feature.

·
Registered
207 Posts
just to let you know, focus doesn't have paddle shifters on any trim or as an option.

selectshift transmission (if you get it) will have buttoms on the stick itself.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Without reading all the other posts, I'll give you my own feedback here.

The SE doesn't come with much as a base, manual transmission, power windows/locks, fog lamps, 16 inch steel wheels with caps, and it does have the secondary audio controls on the steering wheel.

The automatic transmission adds around $1100 to the price of the car. The convenience package is what adds the cruise control, map lights, and perimeter alarm. The MyFord & SYNC package is what adds the SYNC stuff, including voice activated stuff.

Now, you need to do the math, a base SE without anything extra starts at $17,270, so adding automatic will bring you up to 18,370 on the 4-door sedan. The 5-door starts at 18,065 for the SE with manual and nothing else, and you then go to $19,165 for the 5-door SE with automatic.

Adding the other packages will add another $1100 to the price.

On the flip side, the Focus SEL without any added options has those features plus some more and ends up only $600 more. So, if the extra $600 over the price of the SE with automatic isn't going to kill you, a BASE SEL without any other packages is your best option. Don't let them nickle and dime you to add this or that if you are doing this. Factory order a base SEL in either 4-door or 5-door, and you get far more than your basic car, or you go with a SE with automatic and MAYBE add SYNC or convenience package for your basic car.

I made sure to get the 5-door SEL with nothing extra since money IS tight these days due to the economy. Well worth the extra money compared to a SE with 203A added.

Running the build site for the automatic including destination charges:
4-door SE with 203A: $20,485.
5-door SE with 203A: $21,285.
4-door SEL with 300A(nothing extra): $21,095
5-door SEL with 300A: $21,895

Note these prices do not include taxes or fees your state may tack on to the price.

As I said, the SEL is only $600 or so more than the SE with the extra features added, and you get a significant bump in terms of overall quality and features.

The prices actually went up a little in terms of the price and the destination charges on the build site since the last time I checked, but these prices are current.
The other things you get with the SEL for $600 are 4whl disk brakes, aluminum wheels, fog lights, ambient lighting and the select shift on the auto tranny.

To get the aluminum wheels, 4whl disks and select shift on the SE you need to get the Sport Pkg that adds $1100 making the SEL less by a few hundred.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts