Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
FF Veteran Goofball
5,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey if anyone takes GOOD supplements for their joints and can steer me in the right direction I would appreciate it. I hate taking stuff, especially when I don't know what kind of crap is in it, but I really need to try something!

You see, my back is obviously bad from having 2 herniations... but my knees are as well. They always were. (From being tall, growing pains, dancing a lot, wearing heels (BAD), sports, track - sprints/running... etc.)

They are in pain right now so bad because I walked on the treadmill too fast/hard the other day. Not even on an incline!? See, I never ever work out. I just don't... but I know that I must start attempting cuz I am gettin a lil older and need to be in better shape. So I had a huge ice cream feast and decided I wanted to work it off... I was hyper! (mmm fooood!)

Well, that night after only 20 minutes on it I stopped. Got home and knee began to have sharp pains. I had to put a clunky knee brace on and rest it. I should have put ice on it, but I didn't.

Anyways, 2 days later I am still hurting.
I NEED TO BUILD MUSCLE AROUND MY KNEES FOR SUPPORT... but when I try it only hurts?!? Thank god that night I didn't do the leg press a little. It's very frustrating though... to try to be in shape, only to hurt yourself! I hate having a shitty back and bad knees. I feel so useless sometimes. UGH.. aggravating!!!

So I wanna take something... that glucosamine crap or condroitin? Shoot, I should have went to Walgreens cuz they had a buy one get one free of glucosomine. Heck, I'm gonna pay 100 a month to have a personal trainer.... yah I wish...

Any SERIOUS recommendations??? [:(] Thanks...

(I was doing some online research and looked at the Men's Health Mag and found this:)

Supplements to aid in joint healing INFO - CLICK!

·
Banned
12,597 Posts
Jackie to work your knees, i would suggest a stair step on a low setting with big reps like 20 minutes at a time with 3 reps. Take 2 advil before working out and get a neoprene knee brace (support) this will help greatly. You will be in pain for a little bit but after 2 or 3 times it will not be soo bad and slowly add more pressure.

Once you can feel the muscle then maybe head to the leg press, but with your back and knees i would stay off the leg press. That is too much pressure on it.

For your back i would work your shoulders a little bit and then your lower back with crunches (stomach too) to stretch the muscles out. then i would go to a rower ( or a pull machine) which will help your back some with less weight and always always use less weight and more reps to help get muscle that has been deterioted over the years...

I soon am going to work out (free gym threw work) and i am in the same boat as you...Legs have gone to jello after 6 years of soccer and 3 of wrestling. and then 4 years of doing no sports...

As for meds...i don't know, i refused to take anything but advil and alieve...

Ice your knees when you get home if they bother you. I would suggest getting a big tub (one of those round ones) and fill it with cold water and put a bag of ice or 2 in it before going to the gym and then socking in it for a while after you get home...it will help

·
FF Veteran Goofball
5,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks babe... but 1 - I have no access to a big tub. lol... I wish. And 2 - I don't think I have a rower machine in the lil community fitness center, but there are other shoulder/arm machines I am using.

Yeah, after being sooo active up til college, now after not doing anything for 7-8 years I am a mess!! [:(]

Ugh... I hate hate hate working out. But I guess I kinda have too. [thumbd] [hihi]

·
Registered
634 Posts
Do the knee brace forsure, and I agree with what was said above! When my knee got messed up bad in football I was told to get a knee brace and wear it anytime I was going to be doing movements etc with it. Get a good one though, some of them arent up to par! I dont know a whole lot about them, just going on what the doc told me and was recommended one. I dont wear it anymore and I ride a bike all the time and I jog 5k 3 times a week also. This was back in hs I messed up mine though and now I've graduated college, but I havent worn the brace for a good two years now! Knee feels great, I just dont push myself really hard anymore. [thumb]

·
Registered
306 Posts
Also try sitting on a tall flat surface ie. table bar stool, and wrap a sand weight around your ankle. Dangle your legs over the edge and lift the weight by straighting your leg.
It is no impact and was recomended by my doctor after I diclocated my knee cap(s).
I have issues with my knee's and this keeps mine strong, excersize it nice and slow to get max benefit. Best of luck to you and good luck. Adam

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
Jackie, first - EASE into exersising!
As far as the treadmill, I can walk on one but my knees won't run on one. Just maybe your knees don't like the treadmill at all. You might want to try your next walk outside, preferably someplace off pavement like a running track, and with a good pair of shoes with enough cushioning.
I also take glucosamine sulfate. I hear mixed reviews on glucosamine combined with chrondroitin, I wouldn't pay extra for it but if you can find it for the same price what the heck.
Second, you'll have to take it for 6-8 weeks before it kicks in, give it time.
It's helped my knees a lot!

·
FF Veteran Goofball
5,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
^^ K, tell me more about what you take exactly and how you feel it works?? I'm sure I can find some sort of generic at Walmart/Walgreens... right? Any particular substances to look for or stay away from?

Thanks for all input guys!
I have a brace... it's so clunky and esp in this HOTTT weather it gets sweaty and itchy! I will take a pic of it later. But I don't wear it, just yesterday a lil and today. It's really uncomfortable in this heat!!! :(

(Oh, and I DO NT run at all! I just can't... I can run a block but that's it. I feel awkward now doing so and it hurts too much!!) I'm lame...

·
Registered
829 Posts
I don't know anything about joint supplements. But I do have back problems as well, I started doing yoga and it really helped maybe you should try it out.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Unfortunately, I don't have any real advice on supplements. However, I would strongly suggest not using treadmills. They are notoriously hard on the knees. If your gym has an eliptical machine, use that. It's a better workout anyway.

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
As far as supplements, search around on-line. I happen to use Puritan's Pride since they usually have buy one get one (or two) free deals. I'm not sure they're the cheapest, but cheap enough in the end.
Price comparison can be difficult. You need to be taking 1000-1500 mg a day. You'll find something that looks like a really good price and then realize that they're 500mg tablets vs 1500mg tablet, so you really have to multiply the price by three. Compare carefully.
Do you have a Sam's Club nearby? That's probably worth checking out too.
BTW, my only experience is with knees, I'm not sure what glucosamine will do for your back.
Glucosamine is supposed to help your body restore the lubrication in the joints (yeah, there's a whole medical-ese description for that). Digging around on-line will give you way more details...

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
Crux said:
Unfortunately, I don't have any real advice on supplements. However, I would strongly suggest not using treadmills. They are notoriously hard on the knees. If your gym has an eliptical machine, use that. It's a better workout anyway.
Oh yeah, and if your gym doesn't have an elliptical trainer, head for the exersize bike, that will be gentler on your knees and help build supporting muscle around them.

Mark

·
FF Veteran Goofball
5,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I don't like ellipticals... well... I feel like my knees lock up on them!? I guess I should keep my knees bent more. Yeah, I will try that using better form! Oh, and I really want to get a bike so I can ride around!

Thanks for the suggestions... I am still reading through them all!

·
*~*
13,045 Posts
Mom takes these shark cartalage stuff? And this just all Calcium pills. But go an Herbal store, they will tell ya waht to take, but of course you end walking outta there with $100 worth of pills and so many bottles. Sorry Jackie can't offer anymore advice. Do you want me to massage them? [;)]

·
FF Veteran Goofball
5,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
K, I went to Walmart for an oil change... while I was waiting I went to the supplement section.
Here's what I found:

Glucosamine with Chondroitin
Glucosamine with Choindroitin & MSM
Glucosamine with Collagen and stuff.. (?lol)
etc...

Now I read a bit on those (http://www.ourhealthcoop.com/ourhealth_jt.htm)
and why not take the supplements with all that stuff in it?? How awful can it be?? What are the effects?? :/

Input please.... and THANKS!!!

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
jrzx3 said:
K, I went to Walmart for an oil change... while I was waiting I went to the supplement section.
Here's what I found:

Glucosamine with Chondroitin
Glucosamine with Choindroitin & MSM
Glucosamine with Collagen and stuff.. (?lol)
etc...

Now I read a bit on those (http://www.ourhealthcoop.com/ourhealth_jt.htm)
and why not take the supplements with all that stuff in it?? How awful can it be?? What are the effects?? :/

Input please.... and THANKS!!!
I know the bottle of glucosamine I have says not to take it if you're allergic to shellfish. And diabetics should be careful... a quick search found this: http://www.glucosamine-arthritis.org/glucosamine/glucosamine-side-effects.html
There's other good info on that site too...

·
Cashed in my chips
2,837 Posts
I've got knee issues from the military, actually have patellar femoral syndrome, where my kneecaps don't track properly. I've got arthritis already and bone chips floating around. At any rate, my orthopedic surgeon highly recommended I take Glucosamine Chondroitin...she said the studies done have shown it to be very successful in lubricating the joints and in some cases aiding in cartilage reconstruction (depending on the age of the patient).

Unfortunately, the stuff was/is wicked expensive and you have to take it like 3-4 times a day. I just wasn't up to all that. Exercising is the best thing you can do, although you should get a physical therapist to show you the types of exercises you should be doing (and how to correctly do them) The easy ones I could tell you about would be swimming laps (excellent cardio with zero impact) and doing squats with one of those big balance/yoga balls. You find an available wall in your house, wedge the ball between your back and the wall, scoot your feet out away from the wall so that they are out further than your knees, then SLOOOWWWLLLY squat down, letting the ball roll as you move down....until your thighs are parallel with the floor...then sloooowwwly come back up to almost standing.

Of course, that particular exercise was one that was prescribed for me and my particular problem. It's always a good idea to talk to a Dr. and physical therapist to make sure you are helping and not hurting yourself. But for me, the goal is to strengthen the muscles around the knee because my ligaments are no longer capable of holding everything where it should be....so, I need to train my muscles to take over that job.

·
FF Veteran Goofball
5,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
^^^ Yeah, I have a big ball that of course I don't use, and my physical therapist showed me a bunch of exercises to do. I am gonna try use the ball, it's somewhere in my apt?! ;)

Thanks for the reminder!! :)

·
*~*
13,045 Posts
Have you tried those massaging things, the wands type, they give you heat and vibrate?
Just wondering , maybe those work.

·
Cashed in my chips
2,837 Posts
LOL...carmen, I always knew you were a freak!

so, how many do you have in your collection? Care to give reviews? [;)]

1 - 20 of 30 Posts