Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a vision of what I want the hatch space to look like. I don't know how to get it to come to life. I am doing the backseat delete and that leaves alot of room. Here is what I want. 4-10" Sub woofers, 2 800-1200 watt amps, 26"-30" flat screen (I wanted motorized drop down from roof but actuators(sp) take up too much space) mounted at from floor at approximately 45 degree angle with a Playstation 3 or Wii setup. I would like it to be fully functional so that it can be played at car shows from the rear of the hatch. I don't want the expense of fiberglass, so carpet or vinyl wrap will have to do. I need to know what it will take to accomplish this. Also want to put in air ride in the future so need room for 2 bottles, 1 NOS and 1 Air. Please help.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
tough call...thats a lot of stuff for a little amount of space. might be a lil hard to keep it looking good without some fiberglass

·
Registered
2,859 Posts
Yea I agree. That is a ton of stuff to squeeze into that car. And if you are gonna do all that work you should really do it right with fiberglass. That's my two cents.

·
Registered
0 Posts
X2 on Fiberglassing it. As for the screen, a 26" to 30" is gonna be a hard one to do without rebracing some of the roof supports, so be prepared to do that as well.

·
Flat Black King
8,203 Posts
fiberglass it man. And the screen thing would work if u keep it on the floor. i saw the flip out screen they did on pimp my ride and they used heavy duty actuators.

5,155 Posts
After reading your post, an image immidately appeared in my mind. I'll try to explain it the best I can (unfortunately my idea would require an extensive use of fiberglass, but IMO fiberglass is the ONLY way to go in such an install).

Starting in the front of the hatch (where the back seats used to be): have your 4 10" subs mounted there, side by side, so that the box fills the whole seat base. The subs would be mounted at a 45 degrees, facing opposite ways (meaning the first and third subs would face the front seats and the second and fourth subs would face the rear of the hatch.

Immidately behind those subs would the amps be mounted, either flat on the floor (if you wanted them somewhat hidden) or angled towards the rear (if you wanted them visible).

The TV would be centered and mounted a little forwards of the sub box (but not too far - maybe 2 inches). The forementioned amps would be on either side of the TV.

You would then have (an estimated) 10 inches to mount your PS3/Wii, nitrous and air ride bottles in front of the TV.

Of course, this doesn't take into account the stock side panels (which might detract from the custom look).

·
Registered
98 Posts
I think this could be done fairly easy.

I dont remember how much room you have, but doing 4 10"s across the back if you have 42-45" available. Do this in a standard rectangular MDF box, right up agains the hatch area. Then off the back edge, run a piece of MDF 45 degrees off to mount the amps/ monitor. Then on the back side, that would be seen from the driver seat you can mount your tanks. Shouldnt be more than a day to construct with a jig saw, cardboard, mdf, and a table saw.

Then the fun of final fitment and wrapping. :)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the information and opinions. Fiberglass is really expensive and there are not to many people around here that can do it and do it right. I am still working on designs so the replies with ideas are very helpful. Thanks for the input and keep posting. I need all the help I can get here.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Fiberglass isnt too bad to do yourself, but the first project wont likely turn out too well. Its the finish work that adds time and money to fiberglass.

If you wanted to tackle it yourself, I would suggest doing fiberglass, building it up to the proper thickness, then carpeting it with carpet to hide imperfections.

http://www.icixsound.com/vb/showthread.php?t=39741&highlight=wrx

If you scroll down on that thread, it will show you some pictures of how the skeleton are made. You could do something like that, for the speakers, and then make that a sealed chamber, then make another area out of glass for the amps/ monitor/ tanks.

If you need some sites for fiberglass resin and mat supplies, I know a couple.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks again for the input. I need advise on how to power all this stuff. Do I need to upgrade the alternator? Install a converter? Do I need a seperate battery maybe mounted in spare tire area? etc?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Depending on the amplifiers you are running, and the power consumption of the tv.

With the compressor and everything else, a battery in the back will be a good idea, and an upgraded alternator will likely be needed. I forgot you wanted to add a video game system too. You will need a converter for the screen unless its made to operated on 12 volt.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Wow you guys...the whole joke was like...i was just picturing like a nitrous bottle and a air ride bottle like next to each other...maybe it just the truck world but we usually call them air tanks not air bottles.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts