Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2003 ZX3 and it was lowered when I purchased it. The ride is a bit rough and I'm looking to change the suspension to improve on this and then do some other mods. The thing is I don't know the first thing about suspensions and what I should be looking into. Please help, anyone lol...

·
Registered
621 Posts
I have the svt setup and I love it. But I'm considering going to the frpp kit. But either or for daily driving you can't beat the svt firmer and can feel bumps just enough to give it a really sporty ride and nice handling. Yet you could pick a girl up for a date and not shake the bejesus out of her. It runs about 315/330$ from toulsey shipped. And I live in so cal. Front were complete with new strutbearings. So you can bolt it on pretty much if you have the tools then hop on down to wherever you go and get it aligned :). Good luck dude.

·
Hatch Nation #136
2,043 Posts
You may also want to think about just swapping out the dampers and leaving the lowering springs on it. The KYB AGX are adjustable, so you can dial in what you want ridewise and still be able to crank it up to perform when you plan on taking a cayon run.

·
Registered
8,023 Posts
nedc07........since you admitted being a suspension rookie lets start with some fundamentals. Lowering springs are almost always stiffer springs. The increase in stiffness helps compensate for the loss in suspension travel. To properly dampen those stiffer springs (they like to oscillate more) you need a shorter firmer shock to dampen them. The stiffer spring and firmer shock unfortunately, almost always results in the loss of ride quality.

So if ride comfort is the number one priority stock springs and shocks are a solution. There's no shame in going this direction as the Focus was created to be a decent handling car as delivered. A nice upgrade that improves handling without compromising ride too much is the mentioned SVT suspension kit. Its quite affordable too at about 275.00 for springs, shocks and a bigger rear sway bar. Also remember that proper tire selection can have a significant impact on ride quality.

All other performance kits which lower the car, will pretty much degrade stock ride quality. Generally the lower you go the firmer it will get. It's the nature of the game. Some kits, however, have messed up spring rates and when combined with a bad shock (or even a good one in most cases) will cause bottoming of the car which can be a bigger nuisance than too stiff a setup. This results in not only a bad ride, but worse handling and takes its toll on the car structurally.

So..... that said, you need to give us some specific goals you want to achieve and how the car will be used. That way we may be able to make some additional or better recommendations.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts