Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I have a 01 ford focus SE 4 door, its my beater car. My new tires are starting to cup and I keep them rotated religiously. well on the alignment machine my right rear camber is off, and with my car having 200k now on original shocks/struts. I feel its time to replace. I want to get another 100k out of the car. what does everyone do when they need shocks/struts? run up to autozone and grab a set? or is it worth it to buy aftermarket? or used? also how do you adjust the camber in the rear? can you shim them?

Thanks for all the help.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Any other suspension upgrades you'd like to do while you're at it?

For another 100k mi without any suspension mods, I would think any reasonably priced, quality factory stock replacement should work fine (especially if you're at 200k on originals).

Rear alignment not sure on, but with 200K on the car, bad bushings might not help the cause. I know they do make "camber arms" for the rear of these cars, might be some wear and slop there, too.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Got another question. I have a 01 Focus SE 4 door. Would the SVT suspension fit my car? specifically the rear struts (mine are worn out). I was thinking while replacing why not upgrade and go with SVT stuff if it will fit my car? So would the front and rear suspension components from an SVT focus fit my Focus SE sedan?

Thanks,

·
Registered
459 Posts
Got another question. I have a 01 Focus SE 4 door. Would the SVT suspension fit my car? specifically the rear struts (mine are worn out). I was thinking while replacing why not upgrade and go with SVT stuff if it will fit my car? So would the front and rear suspension components from an SVT focus fit my Focus SE sedan?

Thanks,
They will. My son has a 2000 SE (sedan) and ran SVT springs on it for quite a while. I once drove an 04 SVT, and I think it was one of the best handling factory cars I've driven. I think you can get the whole SVT kit (springs/dampers/bars) for a not unreasonable price - thought the front bar is a bit of a pain to change out.

It doesn't lower the car very much, but his with just the springs was a big improvement. SVT springs and dampers, it should make a pretty big difference in how the car feels. I think you'd be pleased.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
They will. My son has a 2000 SE (sedan) and ran SVT springs on it for quite a while. I once drove an 04 SVT, and I think it was one of the best handling factory cars I've driven. I think you can get the whole SVT kit (springs/dampers/bars) for a not unreasonable price - thought the front bar is a bit of a pain to change out.

It doesn't lower the car very much, but his with just the springs was a big improvement. SVT springs and dampers, it should make a pretty big difference in how the car feels. I think you'd be pleased.
Thanks for the info!!! I wonder if at first I can get away with just doing the rear struts. The rear has a -2 degree camber thats causing my tires to cup out and I know the rear struts are worn out if I go over bumps/dips the tires touch the rear inner fender on stock suspension. I was hoping I could (for now) do the rear struts align the car and do the rest (front suspension) later.

Thanks for the info!

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
As said above the svt kit work great. The cupping issue is your toe is off. Camber wear is a even wear vs cupping. Your wore out struts/shocks are more likey the cupping issue.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Yup, too much toe will make the tire "feather" and wear more on the inside. Shot shocks/imbalanced tires for cupping. Combine the two & it gets worse....

If your car has sway bars front & rear already, the SVT rear bar is all you need to change for a full swap to SVT spec. (front is only smaller on cars that came without a rear bar).

Use the SVT springs/shocks/struts on mine a really like the setup.

·
Registered
739 Posts
OEM struts/shocks for these cars are actually really inexpensive. I'd recommend getting a set of those. Aftermarket ones can sometimes be a toss-up. If your camber is still off even after replacing those you can pick up a set of camber bolts for the rear so they can adjust those back to factory spec. If you lower your car (even with SVT suspension) at all that will only put your alignment even further out of factory spec so keep that in mind.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Okay just so I am clear. Factory SVT stuff is an upgrade over my SE stuff? If I go in the classified section and buy SVT suspension off a (lets say) 2003 SVT it will be an upgrade over my SE? Specifically the rear struts? (are they stiffer struts or same as mine?) Thanks

·
Registered
459 Posts
Yep. Except I wouldn't buy used struts unless you knew they were in good condition (i.e. knew the SVT owner, it was low mile, etc....). I think the new units are cheap enough, especially if you go to Rockauto.com or something.

I could ask my son if he wanted to sell his SVT springs, if you want to go used there...

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
Yep. Except I wouldn't buy used struts unless you knew they were in good condition (i.e. knew the SVT owner, it was low mile, etc....). I think the new units are cheap enough, especially if you go to Rockauto.com or something.

I could ask my son if he wanted to sell his SVT springs, if you want to go used there...
This^^^^^^ I'd do new struts/shocks,,,

·
Registered
9 Posts
It keep getting deleted but I'm trying to say konis will last a pretty long time so if you buy used they should be fine or just go new there are some pretty good online deals right now

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
1st post deleted included no advice or opinion, I restored the only opinion portion of the second.

If advice/opinion was all that was posted prev., no deletions would have been made.

Koni's ARE one excellent choice in Dampers, adjustable versions can be readjusted as they wear to maintain the same damping characteristics longer (full stiff is seldom the best initial adjustment).

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks a lot guys for the advice. Trust me I hate the idea of buying used struts (so I might not do that) I just try to do everything on the cheap with this car because it's my beater that doesn't cost me a lot of money usually and I like to keep it that way. :) here is what I am trying to repair:

Thanks

·
Registered
9 Posts
You could also just get some ford racing or svt struts if your on a budget and don't wanna put a lot of money into the focus they are also very good strut and shocks just don't last as long

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
You got a lot corrected with the alignment so far, front is looking good.

That rear could use the left side toed out a bit to match the right closer, an adjustment bolt for the right upper arm would make the camber perfect if you want to get that better.

Too much toe in the rear is the major tire wear issue with these, much more so than camber variations. That left toe at the rear is enough to kick the tail slightly right, the wheel is prob. slightly turned right to go straight.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts