Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2002 Focus SVT needs a new engine. Fritts Ford, the local dealer here in Riverside, CA has my car in their service deparment. Head is taken off and there is major damage to cams and I have a hole burned into an exhaust valve.

So, I agreed to purchase a rebuilt 'crate' motor from ford for the list price of $3,800 and they were going to drop it in. However, hey put the order in for the engine, and two days later they call me saying that the Focus SVT engine is obsolete and that Ford does not have any left! Not even a short block.

Are they pulling my chain, trying to get me to buy a new car from them? Or did Ford really stop producing the SVT motor and I have to locate a used one or retire the car?

Please help, I can't afford to buy a new car, and I like my SVT just fine. If this is true, where can I get a replacement engine or get my engine reliably rebuilt?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
8,262 Posts
It very well may be true...I doubt Ford made too many extra SVT crate engines. Its hard to say what they mean by "obsolete;" if they're saying its been superceded by the Duratec or is completely out of production and is now unavailable. You could try PMing b16sir1991 on here, he works at a Ford dealer and could probably check to see if they're telling the truth or they're just trying to dodge servicing your car.

On a side note...check ebay auction #130184651957 (note to mods: not my auction, just trying to help a guy out), salvaged SVT engine with 48,000 miles, transmission and ECU for $2500 plus freight shipping. That's less than what they were going to charge you and I'm sure you could sell the transmission on here and get some of the money back.

·
Obama Can't Gymkhana
8,569 Posts
Sounds to me like als you need is a Head not a WHole Engine...

·
Turbo!!!!
5,797 Posts
They're full of crap. I had a Ford rebuilt SVT motor dropped in my car in November.

·
Registered
215 Posts
isnt there a law that they have to produce parts for a car for like 10 years after its been produced? or something along those lines ?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wow, you guys are awesome! I was at ford last night, I almost signed papers to buy a used Mazda 3i!

I thought my SVT was a lost cause. I have searched so many times on the FF forums and on Google with no luck to find a solution. I post here and 5 minutes later I already have some great information.

@SkaAddict I checked out that motor on ebay, and also another one for $2750. Is it really possible to sell the used transmission fairly easily?

@WUGcatsvt They told me I am better off doing the whole engine. Here are pictures of the damage. Can I get by with just a head?

@Tom Where are you located? How do I get a motor from you, and who should I have put it in for me?

Thank you everyone!!! [:)]

·
Registered
544 Posts
Looks like the was an oil pressure/supply problem?? Did it get run low on oil? If that is the case then the rods and mains are probably toast also.

·
Registered
8,262 Posts
@SkaAddict I checked out that motor on ebay, and also another one for $2750. Is it really possible to sell the used transmission fairly easily?
It should be fairly easy to sell, lots of regular Zetec owners would like to have the six-speed, and they're not the easiest to service or buy so there's always the chance of selling it to another SVT owner. Although I would definitely go with one of Tom's longblocks if you can afford it. He's located just outside of Charlotte, NC.

·
!FRENCH FRY!
4,236 Posts
ska beat me to it, i was just about to say the same about the 6-speed. highly desirable transmission from what i read on the boards. shouldn't be too terribly difficult to get rid of it, between here, focaljet, ebay, i mean someone is going to want it probably in a relatively short time frame.

and go with tom if you've got a little extra cash. haven't had any personal experience with the guy, but everyone around here worships him (lol, jk...well...kinda) and he's probably the only supplier or ANYTHING on here that i haven't heard a single bad comment about.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Try Focus Sport, they are close to you and could just probably rebuild your motor, they just did a SVTF motor for Sport Compact Magazine. Nothing against Tom, but for the cost of shipping and if you have any problems. If it were me I'd like to be close to the builder and talk with them face to face.

·
i wear no pants
17,506 Posts
dude,

tom will warranty his crap if its sold here...hes good like that from what i hear

i would give FS a call and see what they can do since they are close. they should be able to get this motor. i think they are being lazy, the dealer that is.

·
Registered
9,084 Posts
I'd give Tom a call if you're going to put a whole new engine in. Might as well upgrade some stuff while it's out like pulleys etc. Just a thought.

·
FF Affiliate
75 Posts
www.car-part.com for used parts. There are complete SVT engines listed right now. Make sure you select 'VIN 5' for the SVT.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Update:
Fritts Ford service dept has located a used engine for $2000 plus shipping. They do not know how many miles are on the used engine. Comes with 90 day warranty.

They also offer this alternative: Jasper rebuilt engine for $4850. Decent warranty (1 year, 75000 mile warranty I think).

Debating what to do at this point. Thanks for all the great ideas. I did not know that Focus Sport was in southern California. I have heard of them, they make the stealth exhaust right?

I like the idea of upgrading while the engine is apart anyway. I am not too savvy on it, so what is legal, hassle free and worthwhile as far as affordable performance mods?

Thanks!!!

·
WWTPD?
1,735 Posts
In my HONEST opinion....

You are sinking an additional 3 grand into a 6 year old car that has a resale value of what....8 grand?

Is the car paid off? Do you want to keep this car for a while? I just want to throw out the other side of the coin here. If you don't plan to drive the wheels off the car and are even considering getting something new, do NOT waste money on a brand new longblock and install. You will never see that cash when it comes time to trade/sell.

You have a lot of options availible to you, and they all depend on if the car is paid off (or how much you still owe) and if you really want to keep THIS car for years to come, or if you may want a newer car.

-Purchase a (re)built motor (Tom, misc shops, etc)
-Purchase a salvage motor (junkyeard, ebay, ford locator)
-Purchase a head, quick fix it and trade it in (goes to auction anyways)
-Sell it as a rolling chassis (you will probably come out even with fixing and selling)
-Part it out
-Keep it, project car - slow rebuild DIY

Whatever you do, consider your financial situation first. IE) Dropping 4g on a motor is insane.

·
Registered
762 Posts
^^I agree. However, keep in mind that going with a new car will cost you a lot more than an engine and lose a considerable amount of value the day you drive it off the lot. While a fresh motor my cost you a grand more than a used one, at least you'll have a warranty and know that it should last for many, many miles.

How much do you really want to spend? Should you decide to replace or rebuild the motor, I think going with Tom (Focus-Power) or Focus Sport are going to be your two best options.

I would give these guys a call before doing anything. And trust what Tom says, he knows more about these cars than anyone.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
4,360 Posts
The new motor is the better investment.

Whether the car is paid for or not, there are HUGE advantages to keeping the car.

1. You would be saving $4,000 to spend $15,000 -$20,000 on a new vehicle.

Over 36 months, the engine replacement would cost you $111 per month without interest.

A new car would cost you $416 per month over 36 months without interest.

Not only that, but if you trade the vehicle with a blown motor, the value is next to nothing and you run the risk of being upside down on a loan and end up paying as much as 30% more than if you went in "free and clear".

Not hard to see the logic...

2. People never replace cars out of necessity. It is ALWAYS an emotional decision. Cars can be repaired. Even if trashed in an accident, you can purchase the car from the insurance company and have it repaired. Granted, this isn't always practical and likely the car will have significant flaws and/or drivability issues, but you don't HAVE to buy a new/replacement vehicle.

3. Insurance is ALWAYS higher on a new car. Most states require full coverage for new vehicles which further adds to the expense.

Just something to consider...

·
FF Affiliate
30,767 Posts
I have by far the best price and the best engine on the market, We build all of our engines in my Machine shop where most places farm them out to who even does the cheapest job at the time

Our quality is second to none, You wont find a better engine anywhere

Tom

·
WWTPD?
1,735 Posts
The new motor is the better investment.

Whether the car is paid for or not, there are HUGE advantages to keeping the car.

1. You would be saving $4,000 to spend $15,000 -$20,000 on a new vehicle.

Over 36 months, the engine replacement would cost you $111 per month without interest.

A new car would cost you $416 per month over 36 months without interest.

Not only that, but if you trade the vehicle with a blown motor, the value is next to nothing and you run the risk of being upside down on a loan and end up paying as much as 30% more than if you went in "free and clear".

Not hard to see the logic...

2. People never replace cars out of necessity. It is ALWAYS an emotional decision. Cars can be repaired. Even if trashed in an accident, you can purchase the car from the insurance company and have it repaired. Granted, this isn't always practical and likely the car will have significant flaws and/or drivability issues, but you don't HAVE to buy a new/replacement vehicle.

3. Insurance is ALWAYS higher on a new car. Most states require full coverage for new vehicles which further adds to the expense.

Just something to consider...
A lot of that depends entirely on how much he owes on the vehicle, and how much he would like to put down on a new vehicle. It all comes down to a decision based on time and money. If he is going to buy a new engine, he better drive that car for many, many years to come. My point was to simply ask the question...how much longer do you want to drive THIS car.

Lets say a new motor is 4000 with freight included. Install is 1000 minimum locally, not including fluids, small item fixes, etc. At over 5 grand invested into a car that was worth 8 grand, you now have a car that is still worth 8 grand that you just sank 5 into. You are rolling around in a car with 3k of equity (IF its fully paid off) and its only depreciating with time and miles. If you drive it forever, this is not an issue. If not, do your homework. You may get out on top, financially, by cutting your losses. Just run the numbers and make a wise decision.

I know this is blasphemy on a focus forum, but someone has to play devils advocate to be fair!

1 - 20 of 81 Posts