Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Afternoon all, this is my first post here.

I noticed the other day my temp gauge was through the roof, had a quick look under the hood and saw not a drop in the water tank so thought i best stick some in :) and look for the leak, which did not take long lol.

looks like it is just leaking from the gasket but not really dug in.

Could anyone tell me what this is so I can go get a gasket and maybe buy a new one if needed one i get it off.

regards and thanks in advance.

·
Captain Retard
2,583 Posts
New valve cover gasket with grommets, and new t-stat O-ring. or new t-sta housing, whichever you prefer. The valve cover leaking oil destroys the o-ring in the t-stat housing, so yeah.......you need to replace one to fix the other.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
One more question, how long can I drive like this before it's no good for the car (I obviously need to get to work and need to order the parts so I need a time window really)

·
Captain Retard
2,583 Posts
Keep up with the leaking oil and leaking coolant and you'll be fine for a while. BTW, the valve cover gasket is like 23 bucks and the t-stat housing with 0-ring is like 25 bucks........

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
cheers mate, already lookin for the parts, yet i dont know if it would be quicker and easier to buy the gasket and get the whole block from a breakers?

·
Hatch Nation #136
2,043 Posts
Replacing the block to fix a leaking thermostat housing (very common problem) is like changing the color of a wall by replacing all the drywall. Way overkill.

With a new valve cover and thermostat housing you are looking at around fifty bucks and half an hour labor. The valve cover gasket is eleven bolts, just make sure you don't over tighten them putting it back together. The thermostat housing is three bolts, two hoses and moving a couple things out of the way.

I'd only consider a new block if you have reason to suspect yours is cracked.

Posted via FF Mobile

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
cheers mate. One question... actualy now i think of it 2, firstly the thermostat, is that located near the lower bolt of the last image as I did think that was looking sour but didnt know what it was. Secondly, would this have anything to do with why my heaters dont get hot? Before I discovered this I looked into it and have now bought a new resister pack but have not yet fitted it.

·
Registered
200 Posts
cheers mate. One question... actualy now i think of it 2, firstly the thermostat, is that located near the lower bolt of the last image as I did think that was looking sour but didnt know what it was. Secondly, would this have anything to do with why my heaters dont get hot? Before I discovered this I looked into it and have now bought a new resister pack but have not yet fitted it.

Yes it could have everything to do with that. If your low on coolant because your leaking, it may not make it through the heater core. You need to check your coolant and change the t stat housing. If you dont do it now you are likely to overheat your car and cause much much larger problems. This is only like a 1 hour job...

Edit: looks like you already over heated the thing... This could of been easily avoided.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've just had time to find the parts and it seems I should have actualy pointed out where it was leaking from more clearly...

What part is this?

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Replacing that T-stat housing because of cracking/leaking that was primarily caused by oil leaking onto it from an old valve cover gasket is a VERY common repair on the Focus.

As mentioned above, one issue causes another, and fixing them BOTH is need to prevent recurrence....

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just replaced the housing that mounts flush with the egine. It came with a new oring. I used the old thermostat as nothing was wrong with it. If you have a temp sensor at the bottom be sure to replace the sensor oring as that will also leak over time. Of course, take care of the vc gasket for obvious leakage signs.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts