Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have somehow lost the metal clip that holds on the pigtail harness to the coil. I have a brand new MSD coil pack and the clip was installed. Then today while driving the car died... pulled over and checked the engine and the pigtail harness had slipped off, put it back on and good to go. But it will come off again...

I have found the pigtail harness at C-F-M and a few other places but I dont want to have to buy an entire pigtail harness for $40 or so just for that dang metal clip. [wrenchin]

Anyone know where I can get this clip or have one for sale?

Please help! [8D]

Thanks,
Chuck

·
Registered
17,759 Posts
Junkyard, several other unit clips are the same size, thinking like radiator fan resistor or some injector clips.

If new contacts you may not even need it if it goes on tight enough. I've been missing one that flew into space on a Contour for many years.

Might try looking in a HELP (Dorman) or Motormite catalog to see if they ever came out with them, maybe under fuel injector clips or close.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Junkyard, several other unit clips are the same size, thinking like radiator fan resistor or some injector clips.

If new contacts you may not even need it if it goes on tight enough. I've been missing one that flew into space on a Contour for many years.

Might try looking in a HELP (Dorman) or Motormite catalog to see if they ever came out with them, maybe under fuel injector clips or close.
Thanks. yea I looked at the injector clips, they are smaller. I have been checking junk yards and the few I found that have it want me to buy the whole engine...
I will check on the other clips and those catalogs. If not may be buying a new pigtail... just for a dang clip... [screwy]

Thanks again for the info.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Could be time to drag out "Zen & the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance" or watch some old McGuyver shows for something with less of a direct explanation.

Right piece of wire & some pliers might make a pretty good substitute, or think of another way to tie it in place instead of the clip.

This is when I start looking around the garage & peeking in the junk drawer while cogitating on alternatives if make a part or do something similar doesn't work.

Thin wire twisted in place of an injector style clip works if you can't find the right piece to make a similar clip just for starters.

Once your mind isn't "stuck" on the exact proper official part, you may come up with a good alternative.

Cheers

·
Registered
17,759 Posts
Exactly, why they price those stupid clips in with more expensive parts. For those that cannot improvise and think they must have 'that exact part'. Death if you are trying to save money.

I don't have clips there at all, the connector was revamped and I used 3 separate wire terminals that hold on tightly, the only piece of connector that I reused was the outside black casing. Even that is not waterproof, the access holes for the original 3 wires are drilled bigger to get the bigger terminals in through casing. Weatherproofing not strictly necessary there, been years with no trouble on 3 cars like that.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Only "weatherproof" cover I ever saw on an old single coil caused me trouble.

Kawasaki 400 triple (2 stroke for those who don't recognize it). Had a cover on the center coil that was mounted upside down between the other two. Supposed to protect it from front wheel spray.

Dang thing just filled with water letting the spark jump to the case instead of down the wire. to the plug!

"Interesting" ride, crack the throttle a little more than you wanted from puttin' along & the wheel was in the air. 25 MPG didn't cut it too well, even then (50 mi. between gas stops).

Low voltage wiring is fine in the wet, keeping it clean/dry is just corrosion prevention & oil can take care of that (WD to the rescue)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the comments positive and negative.
I have restored this car almost 90% with all upgraded or oem parts.

I have a lot of money invested in this car and although I would not mind putting a twisty tie around the harness to hold in in place which I almost did... I do not want a twisty tie McGuyver fix. On a daily driver sure but this is not my daily driver.

So with that said I would like to get a clip... if I have to spend $30 on a clip then o well.
You guys can just rip me a new one I guess.

After I am done with all the mechanical restoration I am going to paint the car and not with no Maco $99 job... so I do not want to drive my nice car that has been restored and then repainted with a twisty tie holding on my harness...

I will post a new thread with pictures and all the work I have done when I am finished.

Once again thanks for all the replies...
$30 clip here we come! ;)

·
Registered
17,759 Posts
Hey sailor I had a first year S3 (1974) also, no ground wire from frame to engine and rubber mounted engine. The only way spark could get to frame ground was through the clutch cable, when it rained you were terrified to pull in clutch because you got a shock almost every time you did it once everything was good and wet. I saw the ground on next year model and installed my own and problem disappeared.

I ported mine and with chambers it ran in the mid thirteens 1/4 mi. back around 1975 or so. I could wheelie that one in third gear easily. Hard to get a good run though since bike wanted to flip upside down. I had to leave at like 9000 rpm to slip tire enough to get moving before front end came up. Stock engine was good for around 7500 but that one spun to 10,000 with ease.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Free Clip for $28 on ebay and free shipping with purchase of harness ;) Also, who restores a car to have a twisty tie McGyver fix anyways? You drop umphteen $$ in a car who gives a @##$$ on $28 more... Yall do I guess! ;)

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Well, you WERE the one who didn't want to buy a harness just for the clip.....

So the ideas come out on where to find one or make one without getting a harness.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well uh yea... its a fricken little piece of metal... Clips like this should be sold separately, I mean for real already. I did find some at several junk yards, but then have to drive to go get it, or order it and pay almost as much for a new one so.... both of those options were not better than ordering a new one online... and plus I got tired of dealing with this situation!!! So, spent more money, got new clip, situation fixed. Move on to my next situation... ;) As I said before... more money can be made!

·
Registered
17,759 Posts
$28 X pick your number, McGyver can save you THOUSANDS not single dollars there.

It's not about the clip per se, it's about charging in to take over one of the major things the outside world uses to screw the daylights out of everyone. Making one off parts you then think you absolutely must have to go on in life. I myself constantly strive to avoid paying for that, there are often very easy ways of getting around it. And often MORE RELIABLE than the parts you are 'restoring' with LOL................I have so many non-stock one off parts under my hoods I can't count, the only ones I see going bad though are those made by Mr. Ford and his Chinese cohorts.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Its all about the clip per se. I made a simple post looking for a clip and I end up defending my self on how I don't have the McGyver since to fix it without spending the money.... LOL for sure!!!!!!!!! Anywho its done the part is on its way and I am happy. I just made another $28 responding to this post.

I guess I should go to the hardware store and buy some spray paint since it is sooooooo cheap and McGyver my paint job cause uh its cheaper right?! Then send back my clip that I bought and put a twisty tie on the harness and I am McGyver ready! Not!

Since you are so McGyver Ready here... I have a 1988 C2500 junkyard truck that is Mcgyverd up and has pulled 10k lbs over the scales... My daily driver is a 2001 Honda accord with 192k miles on that has plenty of McGyver fixes... Then to my last car which is a 87 RX7 and this car along with my SVT has been restored with NO McGyver fixes...

Would you like pics of the Honda and my truck to prove my Mcgyver skills?! ;)

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
No idea why you think you have to "defend yourself".

No-one had a source for exactly what you wanted, so ideas were posted on alternatives.

We got a little off topic talking about similar fixes & problems, and amc likes to natter on about fixes without spending the bucks needed for what parts are avail..

No harm intended there, the thread would have died earlier if you hadn't gotten unhappy about possible fixes suggested/commentary on how small things can drain the pocketbook.

·
Registered
17,759 Posts
More like ramble............get it?

I just loathe throwing away money on things that can be easily fixed to be better and much cheaper than the OEM's idea of doing things. You will generally make far more per hour doing this than at most any job most of us will ever have in our lives.

Restoration is a relative term with multiple definitions, I have restored many vehicles both 2 wheel and 4 but I commonly cop out and don't buy expensive assemblies or units just to say they are 'original', original often means piece of crap in my world. Many don't get that. I buy what I need, not what someone's misplaced idea of perfection is. Worrying about the exact OEM bolts or the color of cad on a carb is flat retarded. People think it adds value but not me. But then I'll be driving a perfectly running vehicle for 50% less than the 'restored' one, or even more. Money to be made, as someone said.

Anybody can restore to OEM, they made millions as copies of each other. What's so special about that making it worth all the extra cash outlay? When I do it it becomes 'custom' and far better at least in my eyes.

But then, I am only one of 7 billion others..........I apologize for any zeitgeist sent in OP's direction. I am a creature out of time it seems.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
"No idea why you think you have to "defend yourself". Well when I login looking for some maybe helpful answers.... all I got was bla bla bla about saving money and being a McGyver and so on... Being the cranky natured person I am I was like wtf... But I am also a very open minded person so I played along... no harm done! If you wanna see a real McGyver Ill be glad to take you for a drive in my junk yard truck! Just not in my SVT! ;)

·
Registered
17,759 Posts
Where's the love man???...............LOL

luck..........ten seconds left MacGruber!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts