Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just got my 09 focus about 3 months ago. When I was shopping I realized I actually didn't like Ford's interior lighting kit so I didn't buy it and now I want to install my own. I've never done something like this before so I'm kinda new to the whole lighting realm.

This is what I had in mind:
-Lights for front floors (red)
-Lights for back floors (blue)
-Lights for air vents (red)

I want to install all of these onto the same switch and I don't want them to be a part of my headlights. I was thinking about tapping into one of my 12v plugs to power all of these and adding a switch where the Ford lighting kit button would be.

Now some of the dilemmas I'm having are:
What type to buy for these different location?
Where is the best place to install these types of lights?
How do I wire these into my car? (both floor and vent lights)

I'm open for any suggestions. I really want to do this but I feel like I'm really in the dark at this point. Thanks for any help you can offer.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Okay man, just want to say first off that a lot of us have done is knd of thing on here and ideas will vary. I personally do not like indivual LEDs - that is what you would need to use for the vents to get the right effect. I think they are a hassle to wire in because of the small size and the fact that you have to use a resistor to drop the votage, other wise you will see them blow-out fast. happened to me several times before I got smart.

I have consistently piggy-backed wires into unused or under-used fuses. I have used the window front and rear fuses the most and that has always worked without fail or flaw. Some people wll say that is a bad way to do it. I think it is the easy and there is nothing wrong with it.

Whatever you do, save yourself and use a fuse that will shut off when the car shuts off.
Running a power wire direct to the battery or tapping into something that is always on like a clock or the 12V power to the cig lighter can give you problems. You may forget to flip the lights off before exiting the car... then you need a jump.

·
Registered
774 Posts
An idea - I would use different switches and diffent fuses for the sections of lights, like front and back floors put on one switch, then the vents and maybe some door pocket or cupholder lighting on another

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok cool. So instead of using "individual LED's" then what do you use?
Any other tricks or tips?

·
Registered
774 Posts
for the vents -there would be nothing else. I said that mainly because lighting the vents is something I would not do personally.

I don't like extra wires behind the dash unless you can get them tight and locked in place so you won't have rattles. Thats just me. Plenty of people have done the vent LED thing. I'm sure you can get the wires locked in decently, it will just take some work. Maybe some others will chime in,

I would not hesitate to use the search feature for this forum also. Lots of info on here.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK got it on the vent lights. What kind of lights would you recommend for the floors? I mean you have everything from the walmart $10 lights all the way to neon tubes. I just don't know what the big benefits are. Thanks for all the info.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Go to Oznium.com. They'll have everything you need all for a great price. I just put mine in a month or two ago and I still love them. I got the fuse holder from there too that way I have mine wired directly to the battery with a switch to turn them on or off and the music interface so they'd blink to the beat of the music. I'm always getting compliments on them ;) If you need anymore help you can PM me as well and I'll see what I can do for you. GL

1 - 10 of 10 Posts