Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2003 svtf. I origionally at a mtx 1501D amplifier and a single 15" audiobahn flame q subwoofer in a prefab box. I was just going to run this setup to keep a little bit of trunk space for random things. However recently I have blown this sub while listening to a bit of rock music. I still have the origional 8" subwoofer, but I could care less about it in my car. I would like to run either a set of 15" subs or a set of 12" subs. I have looked at L7's, alpine type r's, and ect to try and find the best combination for my vehical. I would like to keep my amp mount and cap mount plus also not deleting my back seat because my carseat for my son is back there.

So where can I go with this to maxamize my sound system but still leave it somewhat stealth? I would like to make a fiberglass box that I can custom paint to match the exterior of my car. I used to work for circuit city audio department so the install won't be a problem, but I have been out of the car audio industry for so long that I don't know now what product is the best for the size/price anymore.

Here is the install of my last setup before I blew that junk 15.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
wow wierd...that amp and cap just told me to steal them.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
wow wierd...that amp and cap just told me to steal them.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So would 2 15" L7 kicker solo barics in a slot port box fit inside that trunk space? Or should I go with 2 15" alpine type r's in a sealed box. Im trying to find the best combo for the room that I have available. One guy was telling me that 2 12" in a ported box would be louder than 2 15" subs in a sealed box.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Audiobahn FTL. Junk brand with junk products.

There are a lot of options for you. If I were you. I'd recommend a pair of 12s ported if you want to keep it stealthy. The 1501d is 1500 @ 2 ohms, right? You didn't happen to mod it to where you can run 1 ohm, did you?

Ascendant Audio Chaos 12" D2
http://www.ascendantaudio.com/chaos.php

Incriminator Audio Lethal Injection 12" D2
http://www.soundsolutionsaudio.com/...age=product_info&cPath=2_20_35&products_id=19

Mach 5 Audio IXL 12.2.2
http://www.soundsolutionsaudio.com/...n_page=product_info&cPath=2_18&products_id=53

Fi SSD 12" D2
https://ssl.perfora.net/www.ficarau...Speakers/0040_SSD/product_overview.shopscript

I like non-mainstream brands, if you haven't noticed. Why? Smaller brands offer much better customer service because you can talk straight to the owner of the company. Their products usually outperform similarly priced mainstream subs,too.

Make a custom ported box to spec for those subs, and it will make that pansy Audiobling sound like a toy :)

·
Registered
470 Posts
Oh, and if you get an L7, just get 1 15".

I did a 144.5 legal with one L7 in 4.5cf @ 34hz in my van on 2000w RMS. You could be in the mid 140s since you've got that little SVT.

Edit: A good money-saving technique is to just get one big beefy sub instead of 2 smaller subs. For instance, you can get one Fi BL or one 15" L7 or one Ascendant Audio Havoc. One 15" sub, ported on 1500w in that little hatch of yours will be stupid loud.

·
Registered
470 Posts
There's a way to mod it to bypass the protection circuit. I'm not exactly sure on how to do it, but I know it's a fairly common mod.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Also, may I ask, have you done any mods to your electrical system besides the capacitor? For that 1501D, you should, at the very least, have an upgraded battery under the hood and the Big 3 done. I'd personally recommend sticking a second battery somewhere in the back... something small like a Kinetik HC800

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
pioneer premier shallow 12"s. and please, hide your amp and cap. you have no idea how expensive the rear glass is on one of these.
reason for shallow 12"s is you can get a lot more space back in the trunk. and you cna bumop them pretty damn hard.

i have teh pioneer 8"shallow in an audiophile box and its got decent bas. but ineed a set of component speakers in the doors and sides to bring the midbass out.
all in all a good package with most of it hidden .

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The amp and cap you really can't see from the outside. I put 5% tint around the entire car. Just curious why the shallow subs? I should have the room in the trunk for 2 12's or 2 15's with some ease. Unless you saying to put more then 2 in the trunk.

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
i siad shallows for the small space teh box takes up. i think 3 twelves ca nbe done in the floor as one big false box. then you'd still have room for things. i like keeping the car vesratile.

·
Registered
37 Posts
mmats

you could also go with a smaller company like MMATS. i have 2 10's and a class d amp and it rocks the hell out of the 2 12's i had before. you will pay more for the product but quality is worth it.

and i have to agree that amp and cap are begging to be stolen. almost screaming for it.. i am no auto thief but i did stay at a holiday in express last night.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Also, may I ask, have you done any mods to your electrical system besides the capacitor? For that 1501D, you should, at the very least, have an upgraded battery under the hood and the Big 3 done. I'd personally recommend sticking a second battery somewhere in the back... something small like a Kinetik HC800
No i haven't done the big 3 yet. I have a decent cap and for the one sub I was running with that amp the electrical system was doing just fine. However if I do decide to add a componet system with another amp then i am going to upgrade the alternator at least.

Do any of you guys have a recommendation on a place to pick up a high amp alternator for our focus?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
No i haven't done the big 3 yet. I have a decent cap and for the one sub I was running with that amp the electrical system was doing just fine. However if I do decide to add a componet system with another amp then i am going to upgrade the alternator at least.

Do any of you guys have a recommendation on a place to pick up a high amp alternator for our focus?

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
mmats is no small company. they are top of the line and very expensive. but are some of the best stuff out there. i would go with 1 15 or 2 12s. i have 2 XSite 400w rms dvc 12" subs in a ezdb ported box with a XSite 1800 monoblock 800w amp pushing them. they slam pretty damn hard. i also have a stinger cap a yellow top optima and a kenwood ddx7015 running it all. the audiophile stock mids and highs have no problems keeping up with the deep bass. i love my system. i have a friend with a memphis 1000d in his svt with 1 kicker comp vr 15" sub ported in the hatch and it slams too. i also have a friend with 2 planet audio big bang 10's in a ported ezdb box with a interfire 900 pushing them and its seriously unbearable. it will make movies fall off the shelves sitting outside the local movie gallery and set off building alarms at night. if you want a small package with alot of sound i wouldnt rule out 2 10" subs either.

·
Registered
470 Posts

You could probably get away with having an upgraded battery up front, another one in the trunk with a run of 1/0 and the big 3. Look into Kinetik batteries. I think an HC1800 will fit up front, and an HC800 would be a nice as a rear battery because it's small. The stock alternator ought to be able to keep up with 1500w just fine. I have a friend running 2200w on his Honda Fit's stock 90A? alty with 2 Powermaster batteries (one up front and one in the trunk), and his voltage doesn't go lower than 13.5v when he cranks it. It'll save you the time and money you'd spend on an alty.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I went with the 12" L7 in a huge ported box and its almost too loud, dont do 2 15".

1 - 19 of 19 Posts