Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok first off whats the best way to paint...spraypaint i'm guessing?
i need a new body kit but am pretty poor.. painting it myself would help out a lot.

i know the first step is sanding....know what does this mean, what kind of sandpaper do i need, where can i get it.and also what the hell is wetsanding and what is the difference. what do i do first? wetsanding or what.

i also heard you wetsand in between each coats but i have no idea why one would sand something you just painted? wouldnt htat just scratch it off?

also it goes primer, paint,clearcoat right? well how many coats....sorry i'm a noob

·
Registered
4,805 Posts
My opinion... for Best results, especially for color-matched paint for exterior, I recommend DuPont vinyl-based automotive paint. It's available from your local auto paint supplier. You can get preval spray units (~$5 each, 2 will do it, recharge units are like $2.50)
They look like this

1 Pint of paint = around $40
get a multipack of various grits of sandpaper ranging from 400-1200. start with the low grade stuff to work around pits, or imperfections on the piece, then wet sand with the fine grade stuff for the super smoothe finish. If you are using DuPont vinyl paint, you can order the paint with high gloss, and then you can just shoot 1 coat of clear on top of that, if needed.

prep work is the key to good results, might want to spray adhesion promoter, paint, then clear. Use light coats, overspray is the devil. 2-3 coats does the trick.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
sweet thanks, but still whats all this wetsanding business and how do you do it and why do it betweencoats, what does it accomplish

·
Registered
4,805 Posts
don't wetsand between coats if the paint isn't a base paint.
Like I didn't wet-sand my dash and interior trim because my auto-paint has a bit of metalic flake to it. and sanding it ruins it.
However, you can wet sand the final layer of clear coat if there is blemishes.

Wet-sanding can give that "wet glossy" look...

·
Registered
393 Posts
Well it all depends on what type of material the body kit is made of. You may need a flex agent added to the paint so it will flex without cracking. IT does take some know how to paint a vehicle.

Tim

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yeah i'm trying to learn as much as i can ....i'm buying and old civic that needs some painting anyways that i can learn on.

how do you wetsand?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts