Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to locate b16sir1991.
I've read some threads about the ignition cylinder locking and it's happening to my SVT and I read he's the one to talk to for a new cylinder to match VIN.
Please help! I don't want to be stranded if this thing locks on me?.

·
Registered
16,029 Posts
Remove the lock cylinder before it seizes up to where you can't. Study how putting the key in it lifts the key in the outer body to lift it out of the slot in the steering column casting where the cylinder fits. Think of which way you roll the switch when you put the key in and bevel off that one side of the key that sticks out of the cylinder. It only takes a little bit. I did both my cars when they began to lock up and years ago, they still lock but no problems turning them on at all.

The key sticking out of the cylinder is lifted free of the slot in column by the ignition key working on the tumblers to lift the outer key. When tumblers get worn the outer key does not lift quite far enough and then when you tirn it the slot locks up on the key because it has not lifted up 100%, maybe only 85-90%, enough to catch the edge and the cylinder then will not turn. A bevel there to ease the key over the slot edge then makes it work right again but you lose no locked ability at all. A dremel with a rock in it can bevel that edge in 30 seconds.

Free, no parts needed, both mine done years ago.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts