Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do u know if u need a new transmission are it's problem. the problem i have is it slips into 3 ..We got the codes they are
PO 171 -system too learn (bank1)
PO 751 That shift sol 'A' perp/Stuck
it has 130 k on the car ..she never did anything to the car ..so could it be that i may need a new transmission ..Oh yeah i have the check engine light on too ..how much do u think it's going to cost me to fix of this stuff ..Last nite he was bad it left like i was losing power too ..

·
Registered
324 Posts
system too lean can be many things.... either a coil pack gone... vacuum leaks... or fuel starvation.. change ur fuel filter, maybe change ur coil pack and leads while ur at it.. theyre not uber expensive at all.. as for vacuum leaks.. check the hoses on the back of the engine block.. the pcv vacuum hose is notorious for having holes in them.. they also collapse inwards when theyre too old.
as for the P0751 code.. i think its in response to the lean code.. i dont think theres anything wrong with the transmission..

hope that helps! :)

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
btw thanks guys :)

We have changed the fuel filter and the oil which we need to do it again ..the oil was very very bad ..i guess the other girl who had it didn't take care of it ..I do think my bf found the leak he was telling me about it ..i guess i need to change alot of things in my car :( ..

·
Registered
156 Posts
If that oil was even thick and sludge, you may need to get your engine flushed, although this a risky procedure. Did all the oil go out when you drained it? If not, then you might be in the case.

But anyways, I would focus on the transmission. It might be a good time to service it, change the filter, the solenoid and the fluid.

This other how-to I wrote, may help you to service your whole car and tune it up. A lot of drivers don't take care of cars, when buying a used car, try to get all the maintenance information.

[How-To] Service your car step by setp

·
Registered
405 Posts
these trannys are kinda expensive to fix, i had an estament on mine and it was around 1300 for a rebuild

·
Registered
384 Posts
these trannys are kinda expensive to fix, i had an estament on mine and it was around 1300 for a rebuild
Just one more reason not to own an auto :)

Sounds like the car needs some serious maintaince, start with the simple stuff and go from there.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts