Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently installed a short ram intake aem and about a week or so later i felt a power loss, i thought nothing of it and continued my way and yesterday which is 3 weeks later from when this started, its just been gradually getting worse. now its at the point when i go to accelerate quickly it seems like its gradually taking its time to speed up, it basically feels like when your 1 gear too high and you gun it to get going but it accelerates slowly, that's what it feels like. does anyone know what this could be? when i installed my short ram my computer did restart all my gauges went all the way up, if anyone knows what this could be that would be awesome thank you

·
Registered
100 Posts
It could be a lot of things with out a scan tool and some testing some things it would be hard to say

Tom
yea thats true..it might be ur MAF..which could be a problem..
make sure everything is installed properly and get it checked..if anythin jus reinstall ur old intake

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yeah i was hopeing there was a way around not having to buy the scan tool but i guess ill have to go out and invest in one,

·
Registered
18 Posts
hey i had the same kind of power loss problem that gradually got worse. if u havent replaced your feul pump yet theres a recall on it. i did that and it fixed it.

·
Banned
143 Posts
try resetting the computer again and see if the problem comes back. if so, put the stock intake back on (remebering to reset comp again). if the problem goes away, then there is something wrong with the new intake. if the problem does not go away, there is a problem with your airflow sensor or some other part of the engine. start by cleaning the airflow sensor. good luck!

·
FocusXtreme
3,369 Posts
i think it sounds like heat soak try removing some of the weather stripping to let that hot air out

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i went to ford to see if my car was apart of that fuel pump recall but it was not so that heat soak thing? what weather striping to you take off?

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
yeah i was hopeing there was a way around not having to buy the scan tool but i guess ill have to go out and invest in one,

and a free scan from a parts store is not an option why?
Granted you won't get live data, but most don't know what to do with that anyways.

Is the check engine light on by chance?
If not you may still have a pending code that could help.

·
Registered
889 Posts
ya try to install ur stock intake, 15 mins, and see if it will help, if it will then its a heat soak as it was said above..

·
I.S.A.I.K.I.
5,413 Posts
Double check to make sure that your MAF sensor is sitting flush on the intake flange. Even the slightest gap will cause your metered air to become unmetered since air at two different temps is getting in behind the MAF sensor. Also, make sure that your silicone coupler is seated properly on the throttle body. Visually the base of the radius of the throttle body is deceiving and you'll think the coupler is seated if you do a quick install job. Loosen the coupler, push it all the way down making sure that you don't have a small inward bent U shape that's causing a leak. Retighten the clamp.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
yeah i went out and bought one of those obd2 scanners so when it comes home on thursday ill scan it and see if it is showing a code, and no my check engine light is not on, and also if it is a heat soak problem how would you fix that? like what seals do i need to take off cause the tube of the short ram does get pretty hot after ive driven it. sorry about all the questions ive just have had so many problems with my car im ready to sell the thing.

·
FocusXtreme
3,369 Posts
there is weather strippping on the drivers side where trhe hood meets the fender and there is also some right above the intake towards the winshield. just remove 6-10 inches of each and that will allow the heat to escape. also you can raise the rubber screws by the headlights to allow a little air under the hood

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
oh okay yeah im going to try that and also i saw a gap inbetween the mass flow air sensor and the tube so ill make it flush and also i heard a hissing sound by my throttle body so i don't think the tube is pushed all the way down into the throttle body so im going to try that on thursday and ill let you guys know how it turned out.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts