Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
12 years strong
6,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im installing a f/c 65mm t/b and i go to put the sensor back on and turned the sensor to align the holes and broke the spring inside. so my ques. is that is it ok to run without it for awhile until i get the chance to buy another one (which would be mon.) i went to try and get another one from an auto store and they said ford hasnt released it to be sold so that means id have to go to the dealer and buy one which theyd charge me up the ass for one. and y doesnt focus central give u longer screws to put the sensor onto the t/b?

·
Registered
74 Posts
I dont think you can just bolt the TPS sensor down and have it be correct. I believe based on its position it will affect the voltage the computer sees and a very minor adjustment will make a difference. You need to have a multimeter or some other DC voltage gauge to figure out its correct position. Someone correct me if im wrong.

·
12 years strong
6,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
naw. its not the position. i broke the thing. it wont start. so i hafta go to ford and get another TPS. im gonna go up there tomorrow and see if they will open the auto parts place so i can get one. without it, im fu*ked. my car is sittin in the garage until i can get one. hopefully they will be nice and open it for me. (doubtfull)

·
Registered
10,024 Posts
that is very doubtful man, you just need a new one, cant say i had any problems w/ my TPS or ever needing longer screws, and you dont need a voltage meter to attach the TPS.......FC gives you a diagram, but theres a better one on myfordfocus.com

·
Focus Addict
1,245 Posts
If its anything like the TPS on mustangs, you will want to use a multimeter to get optimum performance. It may run by using a diagram, but probably wont be optimal. Good Luck. If you cant get a new one you may be able to get one from a junk yard.

·
Registered
10,024 Posts
there are 3 holes on top and bottom, you have two screws.......it has to go in the holes.........no meter....

·
Registered
456 Posts
If your car won't start, unplug the TPS; it will start up then. The ECU has an emergency program that will cause the car not to start when it gets really messed up reading from the TPS. When my TPS broke I had a similar problem. You can run without the TPS, it will cause the CEL and if you have an ATX it will shift rough in 1st and 2nd. And you gotta becareful because it can stall too if you just tap the gas.

Ford is going to charge you for a new TB and TPS, it will be 110. However if you have a 02 ATX with a TPS sensor that is about 3/4" thick there is a cheaper solution that I know of (only 30 bucks). Let me know if that is the one you have.

·
AKA Toyotech
4,043 Posts
guerro said:
If its anything like the TPS on mustangs, you will want to use a multimeter to get optimum performance. It may run by using a diagram, but probably wont be optimal. Good Luck. If you cant get a new one you may be able to get one from a junk yard.
huh?...for optimal performance...all the multimeter will do is give readings for high/low wide open throttle and closed...and a sweep readings...no way it will help performance.

and if your lucky, u might catch a tps that spikes.

·
12 years strong
6,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
oracle, i dont need a new t/b. i just need the sensor. and i do have the 02' automatic and the TPS is about that thickness. i really hope its only 30 bucks. ive just decided to go up there tomorrow and pick one up. do u think that they would have those in stock or if theyd hafta order one. if they hafta order one, then that will suk major balls. and i have unplugged the TPS and it still wouldnt start.

·
Registered
10,024 Posts
you need the TPS to run the car correctly, it will more than likely be an ordered part

·
12 years strong
6,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
update: well i got up this morning at 7:30 to go to the dealers to get a TPS. they told me that id hafta order a new t/b and a harness that goes with it. i told them i didnt need a new t/b and that i just needed the TPS. they said they wont sell the TPS seperate. they only sell it with the new t/b which all together would be around 125 with tax. i said fuk that. my sis's b/f works at an auto parts store that mostly deal with import cars but he called up another ford dealer and they said that they would sell the TPS seperatly and it would come out to be around 40 bucks. so now im waiting for the dealership to deliver the TPS to him. and then i hafta wait till he gets off work so he can give me the part. a lot of bullshit today and its not even noon.

·
FF #1 Most Wanted
6,890 Posts
What kind of dealer bullsh*t is that..?..[8]

At least you knew someone from the inside to get you the TPS without the TB.

·
Registered
456 Posts
That is what they told me. However when my dad and I were working on it, we took a look at the TPS on his '01 Duratec V6 Escape and it used the same sensor as my focus. Different ford part number but it had the same part number for the company who built the part for Ford and it visually was the same, and using a multimeter we checked and it outputed the same range. And Ford will sell just the sensor for the Escape for 30 bucks, so for 02 ATX focus with the thick TPS sensor, it seems Ford used the same one; which is no surprise really.

·
Focus Addict
1,245 Posts
Kicknzx3 said:
huh?...for optimal performance...all the multimeter will do is give readings for high/low wide open throttle and closed...and a sweep readings...no way it will help performance.

and if your lucky, u might catch a tps that spikes.
As I mentioned, I was refering to the Mustang which may be different. This is what I was refering to:

Without the proper adjustment, the throttle position
sensor (TPS) will give the computer a false reading as to the
exact throttle opening. A false reading will limit wide open
throttle performance (something we definitely don't want). A
voltage reading must be taken using a digital volt/ohmmeter
(DVOM) with the Key On/Engine Off and with the Key On/Engine
Running.

The TPS is located directly on top of the throttle body and is
adjusted by loosening the two phillips mounting screws and
swiveling the sensor until the highest reading is found. It may
be necessary to elongate the holes with a small file to achieve
the desired reading.

The spec range for Key On is from .88 to 1.0 volt; shoot for the
.97 to .99 volt. With the engine running, the voltage should be
no higher than 1.05 volts.

Incorrect Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) voltage will result in
reduced performance. The best way to take a TPS voltage reading
is by using two safety pins through the wires coming from the
sensor. The positive lead is attached to the green wire, while
the negative goes to the black wire. Always ground the meter
through the sensor's black wire. This gives a direct, and more
accurate ground into the computer.

Sorry if the TPS on the Focus is different. When I said optimum performance I was refering to performance of the TPS .

·
12 years strong
6,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
sorry i havent givien u guys an update but my comp. at home is kinda out of use at the moment. my friend got me the TPS from a dealer for like 40 bucks. so i put that on with the new t/b from focus central and holy hell. that thing is the shit. if i just tap the gas im off. i love it. and with the f/c intake its awesome. i was so happy to get my car back cause i hadnt driven it for like 4 days. u never know what u have till its gone. thanx a lot guys for ur help and replys.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Yeah no problem.

·
Registered
715 Posts
i had the same problem, but only after i traded the FC tb back for some warranty work. unfortunately, i stripped the TB, and they're warrantying it (YAY!), so now i get to drive around with a stock TB and a CEL. darn it.

·
DTF
3,981 Posts
my buddy broke my tps while we were installing my fc tb, i am going to try to get a replacement from a junkyard if i can find one but i need to know if the tps is the same for both the atx & mtx and also did the tps change over the years? mine is a 2000. lucky for me my car is still drivable but the car does rev high for no reason sometimes :-(

1 - 20 of 23 Posts