Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok i know nothing about ice.. all i know is that i want 2 12's in the back of my hatch. zx3

im starting on my next project here soon.. im going to make my own fiber glass molding in the whole back with some subs and amps and all different shit in there.. i need to know something

if i run 2 12's how many amps do i need? can i have 2 12's and 2 amps? what kind of wattage should i get?

lol thanks

·
Focus Enthusiast
2,208 Posts
How much are you looking to spend? Are you looking for sound quality or spl (aka loudness)? You can definately get an amp for each sub if that's what you want, but to suggest an amp and subs i'd have to know what your trying to achieve, i assume looks matter alot also. Let me know what your going for and i'll try to help.

- Scott

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
bah u dont need two amps. thats a waste of money, unless u get one to run your components and one sub amp. u can get one amp that will do both just cost more money...

i recommend mtx D series amps for sub amps, definately one of the best sub amps ive heard, great range, doesnt sound dumb when its rock music, great power, and a pretty affordable price. my amp can peak at about 1500 watts but i havent found any subs and a box that can handle it yet.

the jl subs are good. u could also get 1 13.5" w7 molded in. that would be louder than most 2 12" subs because of JLs technology. 1 12" w7 will be more than loud enough in my opp.

anyway, stay away from most RF subs unless you want to under power them, ive blown a lot of fosgate subs in my day. hx2 series are pretty good, they got a new model out i havent messed with.

infinity makes some decent high end subs in their "perfect" series.

i would never get jbl, xplod, pioneer, or any of the "bargain" subs at best buy. they blow easy and dont have a very good range.

it really comes down to the amp u get though, if u have an amp like mine, u need good subs, but if u get a 300 dollar 400 watt amp, u can basically get any decent sub and it will sound decent.

sorry if offended anyone here if they have any of those subs, they work, just not as well as i would like them too. sorry for rambling im out.

also... brands i like the most.... jl audio, mtx, eclipse, phoenix gold, infinity, kicker soloberic subs... thats all i can think of right now.

·
Focus Enthusiast
2,208 Posts
If you have a budget i'd go with elemental design subs, they are really good for the money in my opinion, the 12A would be plenty loud but if you want to spend more i think some jl 12" subs would be great, with al this fibergalss work i'd say looks matter alot, so i am guessing you'd want to have 2 subs so that's why i'm suggesting 2 instead of one, although 1 would be plenty, with another sub you can only gain 3db spl. What would look nice would be 2 subs on each side with an amp in the middle. For an amp i think the jbl bp1200.1 would give you more than enough power for 2 subs. fill me in with how much money your looking to spend and all those other tihngs i asked before.

- Scott

elemental designs' website: edesignaudio.com

·
Registered
4,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
honestly i dont really care about how good they sound. i mean yes i want something that sounds good inside and out.. but i dont need it to hit hard or anything..

i just want 2 subs that look bad ass, i flipped with the speaker part facing up and the other flipped inverted). thats all.. i want the speakers to looks somewhat flashy. and the amp to be shinny.. lol yeah i dont care about any competitions.. i just need something for when i show i pop my hatch and people have a reason to look in there...

so im going to try to be as cheap as i possibly can while still looking good :)

does that help any?

thanks for your replys

·
Registered
4,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
sa_pyro_ne said:
If you have a budget i'd go with elemental design subs, they are really good for the money in my opinion, the 12A would be plenty loud but if you want to spend more i think some jl 12" subs would be great, with al this fibergalss work i'd say looks matter alot, so i am guessing you'd want to have 2 subs so that's why i'm suggesting 2 instead of one, although 1 would be plenty, with another sub you can only gain 3db spl. What would look nice would be 2 subs on each side with an amp in the middle. For an amp i think the jbl bp1200.1 would give you more than enough power for 2 subs. fill me in with how much money your looking to spend and all those other tihngs i asked before.

- Scott

elemental designs' website: edesignaudio.com
you hit that on the money with what i want to .. to be honest im trying to go cheap.. shit i wouldnt mind debadging the damn subs so no one knows what they are.. i want to try to stay under 150 for everything... if i have to get something used then so be it.. most of my money is going to go towards the fiberglassing and molding for inside the hatch trunk part

thanks man

·
Registered
951 Posts
You want to do $150 for subs and amp?? I can't say this enough, you get what you pay for. I'd save up a bit and get some decent stuff, otherwise you'll end up with $150 sound. Stay stock til you have enough cash.

·
Focus Enthusiast
2,208 Posts
for that amount of money you can barely get stuff that sounds like crap. i'd suggest upping your budget or saving up. You could tacke away from some of the design by going with one sub and one amp and get an elemental designs 12k.44 for $135 plus about $18 to ship but then you still need an amp so i'd suggest something that puts out about 350-500 watts RMS @ 2 ohms but true power, not a pyramid amp that says it puts out 1200 RMS when it really puts out 200 watts. class d alpines or mtx's might work and would be easier on your charging system and require less current but it would take more from your wallet. eBy would probably be your best bet.

Links:

http://www.edesignaudio.com/ep2/12k.htm

- Scott

·
Registered
19 Posts
i would defintely encourage saving up around 3-500 bucks. with what your looking at, your better off staying stock, there will be NO enjoyment coming from a system like that.

may i suggest:

12" Dayton mkII - $150.00 --- http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=295-402&ctab=1

JBL BP300.1 - $190.00 --- http://www.mmxpress.com/jbl/BP3001.htm

mmxpress has a buy one, get one deal on Audiobahn subs. 2 for 220.00
im not a huge fan of Audiobahn, but they are all about show.
hook up a hifonics zx4000 for 205.00 and you'll be impressed...

not to mention why everyone is saying you pay for what you get.

·
Registered
4,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
but i know some people selling good stuff for cheap.. thats what im trying to get at. i dont need anything new.. just something to go in with my back hatch fiber glass display. thats all..

im not really worried about deep base or anything.. i like the hear what the people are saying in the music.. lol

thanks alot for the help

·
Focus Enthusiast
2,208 Posts
If it's only going to be for show you could get some cheap used stuff but don't expect much quality, you might as well buy some nice looking good-name blown subs and amp just for looks. It's up to you. Before you buy any used things post on here and ask about them because alot of people like to sell cheap stuff for more than it's worth, if anyone tries to sell you a pyramid amp for over $30 just walk away.

- Scott

1 - 12 of 12 Posts