Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a sub and an amp and im trying to put it in my 07 focus.... and i have no idea how to do it. can someone please explain to me how to do this and what i might need. thanks [thumb]

·
.....NObama.....
1,875 Posts
If you have no clue how to do it, I'd take it somewhere and let the professionals do it honestly... there's alot of things you can screw up...

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i've got some friends that know what they are doing... so if someone could just explain stuff like how to take off the head unit and things like that i'm sure we wouldn't have a problem getting the rest set up. thanks again for y'alls help

·
Registered
2,859 Posts
You will want to pry off the trim around the radio. There are clips on the back side. Then there are four 7mm bolts holding in the radio.

·
Registered
470 Posts
If you don't have any idea what you're doing, I wouldn't touch it. Just take it to the pros.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
got it in! looks and sounds great... ran all the wires under the carpet with the box in my trunk... couldn't be happier with it! thanks for y'alls help and input!

·
Registered
963 Posts
Its usually better to do that kinda stuff yourself cuz you'll get raked takin it somewhere else! And most of like bestbuy or circuit city installers are turds that mess stuff up! If you break something at least you did it trying to do your own mods and some stranger didnt do it and not tell you!

·
Registered
963 Posts
Its usually better to do that kinda stuff yourself cuz you'll get raked takin it somewhere else! And most of like bestbuy or circuit city installers are turds that mess stuff up! If you break something at least you did it trying to do your own mods and some stranger didnt do it and not tell you!

·
Registered
963 Posts
oops Double post! This computer sucks!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi,

Sorry to hijack this thread, but I tried to post a new thread titled "Adding stock sub, no current from plug in trunk", but the board wouldn't let me (Invalid thread?) Anyway...

I've spent lots of time reading many of the great posts here about installing the stock subwoofer with an aftermarket head unit, but I still haven't found any clues to my issue.

Details:

Car: 2006 ZX3
Head Unit: JVC KD-PDR40
Subwoofer: Salvaged from 2004 Focus

So, the subwoofer physically fits in, and the right plug to it already exists in the trunk.

I had already installed the head unit and it's working fine with the 4 regular speakers.

To wire the subwoofer, I tapped into the second squarish plug in the dash. It holds 4 wires:

Black/White: Sub +
Black/Grey: Sub -
Red/White: Amp remote on
Unsheathed (silver): Ground (?)

I traced all three of the sheathed wires with a circuit tester all the way back to the plug in the back. The remote amp lead in that plug energizes when the radio turns on.

So, it looks like all those preliminaries are as the should be, however the amp still doesn't turn on.

The problem seems to be that there's no current from either of the red wires and grounds coming from the amp plug in the trunk. Looking at the third picture in post from another site:

http://forums.focaljet.com/6799357-post4.html

...I'm talking about current from pins 5 or 6 and 8 or 9.

I tested the fuse under the hood (the 30 amp one in slot 11, and it's fine).

I'm about at the limit of my troubleshooting knowledge here. Would anyone know of something obvious (or not too obvious) that I'm missing? For example, since the car didn't come with the stock subwoofer, is there another fuse or connection somewhere that's needed?

Thanks in advance for any help I might get!

--Chris

1 - 16 of 16 Posts