Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok here is the deal. i got a set of guages for christmas and now i need to get them installed. i called the local custom shop and they told me that it would be $100-$120 to get them installed. i looked at the how-to deal and saw that you shouldn't move the needles. and there is the problem, i have been trying to figure out how to get this thing over the needles and there is no way to do it. what should i do?

·
Registered
110 Posts
yes there is a way to get them on. Its called follow the instructions. You have to get someone to help you. slide it on so that all the holes are just under the needles and then get someone to hold it in place while you work at getting it under the rest of the way. be patient and take your time or you will kill your needles and the gauges. I have the same ones and got it on as soon as I got the wife to help me out. you can lift the gauges as needed just dont go as far as making a 90 degree bend. if you fold them they are no good to you anymore. be sure to use a lot of two sided tape I have to go back and put more I didnt and they are touching my needles about 100-115km. the needle jerks over that spot now. when it warms up i'll have to go back and take care of it. Anyway go slow and dont go nuts and get help from gurl or a friend. you will love them once they are on.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks man i am just nervous about doing this. i know my car has 600 miles on it but that would look funny trying to get it warrenteed. i will try it and thanks again

·
Registered
678 Posts
I want gauges but Im nost sure if its worth the work of installing.. I hear its easy from some ppl then that its hard from others..

·
Registered
877 Posts
I should have mine in about a week, I got the instructions from Myzx3.com Are there other instructions, Besides the ones in the kit?

Thanks, shawn

·
Registered
510 Posts
I'll be putting mine on later this week. I'll let you know how it comes along. Maybe get some pics of how it goes over the needle.

·
Registered
847 Posts
If you have a PZEV engine it won't fit over the needles, the cluster is slightly different. I installed Speedhut guages and had to take my needles off then put them on and re-calibrate using the odometer's test mode.

But if you have the ZETEC you should be good to go.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
hey focuzdSVT pics would help a whole lot. if you can that would be great. just dont want to screw anything up

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
isn't there a how-to on this here? i used it and thought it helped a lot. even had pics.

it WILL fit! i thought the same thing you did, and ended taking off the needles, but it wasn't necessary. i had to re-calibrate everything using the test mode. no huge deal, but it made for more of a PITA than it had to be. here's the trick: point all the needles facing up, then slide the faceplate over and stick the needles through their appropriate holes (btw, this is easier if you take out the stops for the speedo and tach as well as the reset button for the odometer. they just pull out). after you get the needles through the holes, push the faceplate down to the point where the little metal shaft underneath the needle is sitting flush with the top of the hole in the faceplate. this takes a little work bc getting enough room underneath the needle for it to fit takes a little time and patience. now slide the faceplate over the rest of the needle. you may have to bend the faceplate a little to do this. it's now big deal, just don't go far enough that you crease it.

hope this helps.

Mike

·
Registered
515 Posts
paulie317 said:
what about the double stick tape, before or after you put this thing on?
The double-stick tape goes on the backside of your new gauge face. It's what hold it in place. Make sure you don't press it down until you are SURE that's where you want it, because once it's stuck, that's it.

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
i actually didn't use tape. after i got everything lined up, i just stuck the needle stop and odometer button back in. holds everything fine, and nothing's permanent. fit is kinda "meh," but i played with it for about half an hour and determined that it was just a crappy brand. (i doubt you'll have this problem with speedhut)

Mike

·
Registered
14 Posts
i didnt use any of the tape either but the needles jumps onthe speedo, but the wierd part is it goes away when the car is warmed up. i dont know.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Paulie, Just install them yourself, Im only 16 and it was simple. Installed mine last night, Easy install. And if you cant find a place to get power from (took me a little while) just tap into the cig. outlet wires. and unscrew the piece of plastic right under the steering wheel to make it easier to get to the cig outlet.

I just took my needles off, let it run for 5min and stuck the oil temp needle in the center and I knew my gas tank was at exactly 1/2 tank so I just stuck it there also, while the car idled I stuck the rev needle around 800-900. and had a friend help me with the speedo, by having him do 40 and 60mph and I just stuck mine there when we got up to speed.

Only problem was, it seemed the gauge wasnt as wide as the stock piece so I tried to center it up but its still a bit off.. Oh well looks great and works great!

-shawn

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
isn't there a way to calibrate the guages after taking the needles off. i thought that i saw someone say that once

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
ok i don't want to take my needles off unless i know that there is going to be a way to calibrate it. i tried getting my guages on and couldn't get them over the black part of the needles. so for now my cluster is sitting on my kitchen table untill one of you guys can help me, or know someone who does

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
ok, i put speedhut guages on like the 6th week i had my car, you might think that when you get to the point on the black part of the needle that doesn't fit that you should give up. don't do that, just give it a little push, the guages won't rip, just bend and then go back in place. make sure to use some tape right around the base of the needle, they tend to 'stick'.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
thanks guys you have really been a help. i got them installed and i love them, the only thing i have a ? about is what ignition power wire did everyone use to get power. i was advised to tap into the cig lighter power. i did it without thinking about it and they stay on all of the time. any ideas and wire colors would be a great help

1 - 20 of 34 Posts