Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this week I put in Headers and an aftermarket Throttle Body. I got both of them used from fellow Jetters, the TB looked to be in great shape but the headers had a crack in them that I covered with clay weld ;P. After a lil bit of panic, I got my TB to fit well and work well...i think. As for the Headers, I had to leave off one bolt holding the cat converter b/c it broke and two bolts off (the last one on the right and the top right) b/c they were going in at an angle...
So heres the thing, when I was driving yesturday my car wouldnt stop reving...it was at 2000rpm and sometimes at 3000. After sitting a while, it would go back to Idle 1000rpm. Now I thought it was my TB so I took off my intake to inspect it and it looked fine to me, but I moved the accelerator cable into a new place anyways and it still does it. Can this malfunction really be my headers?[???:)]

I really need help soon...I need this car to work so that I can goto work

·
Registered
649 Posts
i had a similar problem on a FormulaSAE car, because the intake wasn't quite airtight and air was sneaking in through places other than the throttle, causing increased idle. I'd take a close look at everything from the airbox through the TB and into the intake manifold to see if anything got moved or loosened somehow during the install. I'm not up to speed with emissions sensors and such, but is it possible that an exhaust leak is causing a strange A/F ratio reading, and the car is trying to compensate by bringing in more air? Pure speculation there.... Good luck with the issues and props for the mods!

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i'll check things out...bacarl, could it be the custom gasket i made for the TB?
BTW I have a short ram AEM intake just incase thats news

·
Registered
649 Posts
Yeah a bad gasket would cause just that sort of issue. If possible, use an o-ring or make the gasket a little bigger. Avoid silicone because you don't want little bits of it getting pulled into the intake.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok...so tomorrow, though I know it isnt recomended, I think I'll get the silicone gasket maker and make myself a gasket from that...

how bad is it to drive like this for a day?

·
Registered
891 Posts
its not bad, i had the same issue but a stock gasket from Ford fix that problem and havent had one snice.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts