Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
okay i want to buy a intake for cheap, i just want it so it matches my fr valve cover, i was looking at ebay for one, but i cant seem to get which one i should buy, okay im in miami and it rains and floods down here so im not thinking of getting a cold air,

do the ebay cold airs, go all the way to the bumper???

has anyone bought one of these intakes??

is it direcrt fitment or i have to do modifications??

thanks for the replies

jp

·
Registered
16 Posts
most people here will tell you not to buy a ebay intake but i did buy a SRI and it works well. the fitment was fine i had to to a little adapter work for the MAS but all in all i like it

yeah yeah its a spi in the ztec section

·
Registered
716 Posts
i had it and it went about 10 inches off the ground and yes it sucks up water hahah but i ran with it for 2 years and it was well worth the 60 bux or whatever it cost (i cant remember)

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
yeah most TRUE Cold air intakes run down to the underneath of the car. Ebay ones arent too bad to get. Its just other stuff on there that worries me, lol. Go with a SRI if it rains alot, not worth taking the risk, they yeild almost the same gains.

·
Premium Member
7,348 Posts
If you can afford it, go with a volant intake. And BOOSTA, you lose quite a bit of power with a Short Ram Intake because of the heatsoak in the engine bay; basically you're putting the intake right where all the heat is produced, so you're sucking in hot air. That is unless you make some sort of heat shield for the intake.

·
FocusXtreme
3,369 Posts
if rain sri with heat shield and cut 10 in of wheather stripping off the side where the intake is and raise the hood with washers this will help prevent heat soak

·
Shot me 3 deer!!!
9,247 Posts
go w/ the svt intake, watch out for ebay, i've heard some horror stories about fitment, its been beaten to death on these forums. if you go w/ the ebay, make sure your maf seats well and get a K&N cone filter!

·
Registered
142 Posts
SVT intake FTW!!!!!!

·
FocusXtreme
3,369 Posts
the ebay shortram works well you may have to put you stock maf location on it as the pic shows but will work

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
yea i'd say either a Volant or a SVT system...a little more $$ than an ebay but well worth the extra

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i dont want a svt intake system becouse it looks like my stock remenber i want some thins chrome with red boots, so it can match my engine bay. but a little beter throtle wont hurt, soo where could i buy a heat shield??? and what are washers??

thanks for all your replies

·
Drunkinmonkey
2,678 Posts
washers... you no those pieces of metal that are flat and circular with a hole in the middle

btw i got an AEM CAI ....havent gotten it yet but its on the way ..if it DOES get water in it is it deadly to the engine..if so how can i prevent this

·
FocusXtreme
3,369 Posts
water will kill an engine and you can get the aem bypass valve and to jpmoney the heat shield you will have to make. thin sheet metal can be cut and weather stripping at the top and a hole for the tube to go in but on the four sides it should be walled with the stripping to the hood sides should be sealed with a high heat silicone of sorts or jb weld or equivelant it is not that hard to make but it is time consuming if perfection is wanted.

·
Drunkinmonkey
2,678 Posts
do you have a link to the AEM bypass

·
Registered
142 Posts
^^[paranoid] google

·
Get The Hammer!
1,687 Posts
I saw the Injen short ram I have on sale for 80.00 a while ago. I have never had a problem with it. I did have lots of problems with mounts breaking and the tubes falling off with the ebay cai. Oh and water too.

·
Registered
889 Posts
dont buy anything off of ebay... waste of money, i wanted to get the intake for cheap and ordered one off of ebay and paid like $60, and still sitting here, nothin fits, ended up getting a steeda sri.. so better to spend 200 just for a good one then 260 for both if you know what i mean

1 - 20 of 22 Posts