Focus Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm a soon to graduate Highschool student who's looking to get a new car. I've been searching at my local listings and the best option that I could find is this 2014 blue Focus SE. It looks like it's in great condition and a great all-around car. I was just wondering about a few things before I jump the gun, mainly cosmetically. The stock look of the SE isn't bad by any means, but I would like to add a little flair. Nothing too over the top or something that gives off ricer vibes and preferably something that doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

The biggest question I've had is about the front bumper. I've seen a thread about putting an ST bumper on an SE. From what I can tell, they should be a 1:1 fit with not much hassle. I just would like some more clarification on if it is possible and where I could even get an ST bumper. I have looked at many places to find one, the best-ish idea was to simply order an OEM part. Although those are obviously pricey, plus none that I've seen were painted, let alone primed. Painting isn't a huge issue, I'll just have it painted at a local autobody shop.

TLDR: Looking to buy a 2014 focus SE and I wanted to know the best visual modifications for cheap and general advice about focuses

·
Registered
356 Posts
As a happy owner of two Focuses, 2007 ZX5 SE (only owner) and 2017 ST (2nd owner purchased at 585 miles), I would never buy a 2012-17 Focus with an automatic transmission.

You need to do some research on the problems associated with the dual clutch transmission - known as a DCT, DSP6, or Powershift transmission. The problems associated with this transmission are epic. Just yesterday Ford settled a class action lawsuit regarding these terrible transmissions. Do yourself a favor a steer clear.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
As a happy owner of two Focuses, 2007 ZX5 SE (only owner) and 2017 ST (2nd owner purchased at 585 miles), I would never buy a 2012-17 Focus with an automatic transmission.

You need to do some research on the problems associated with the dual clutch transmission - known as a DCT, DSP6, or Powershift transmission. The problems associated with this transmission are epic. Just yesterday Ford settled a class action lawsuit regarding these terrible transmissions. Do yourself a favor a steer clear.
I've done a little more reading and research, definitely going to avoid it, thanks for the feedback

·
Registered
461 Posts
I've done a little more reading and research, definitely going to avoid it, thanks for the feedback
If you can find one with the 5 speed manual transmission it is the great car it appears to be.

It is unfortunate Ford were such bean counters with the DCT automatic transmission because with a competent automatic transmission they would be just as good of a car.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Not the 2018 also? I haven't read anything concrete anywhere that says 2018 has anything different than the other years.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Thank you for renewing my faith in the youth of today. I was getting very discouraged reading these threads where some genius buys a 2012 and up Focus for a "hell of a deal" then starts researching just what they purchased. Ford has been throwing clutches at these transmissions for a few years. They increase the warranty to 150,000 hoping they will only have to replace the clutches once, but never really addressing the problem. This has driven down the price of the MK 3 focus and snagged a whole new group of consumers.... who probably do not know the difference from an automatic to a manual.

The 2.0 motor is bulletproof and capable of getting 300,000 miles with ease. With the MK 3 Fiasco you can find a really good deal on a manual transmission one, but please do not go down the automatic rabbit hole. You will be driving on borrowed time.

·
Registered
179 Posts
The only automatic MK3 Focus anyone should consider is if it has the 1.0L EcoBoost as it's a torque converter automatic and not the dual clutch. The 1.0L is honestly under-powered in the Focus, but I have fun with the 6-speed manual nevertheless and gas mileage is fantastic :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
The only automatic MK3 Focus anyone should consider is if it has the 1.0L EcoBoost as it's a torque converter automatic and not the dual clutch.
Not true, 17's and up have a regular normal auto trans
My 2012 has the DCT, trouble free at 112k miles, but all I ever do is shift up to freeway speeds and stay there, I think it's the city driving that kills it.

·
Registered
179 Posts
My 2012 has the DCT, trouble free at 112k miles, but all I ever do is shift up to freeway speeds and stay there, I think it's the city driving that kills it.
100% false. All MK3 Focii with the 2.0L and automatic have the DCT.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Just rolled 100,000 with about 40,000 on the my latest clutches and a new TCM in my 2012. Still smooth and I basically stay in town.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
A small little update, I've most certainly moved on to look at other vehicles. But I did stumble upon a potentially great deal. I found a used 2018 Focus ST, with a manual. Of course, there are a few catches. The vehicle is damaged and has a salvage title (big yikes right there), and I'm assuming the vehicle was considered totaled. The damage is fairly light all things considered, it looks like the previous owner hit an animal. Currently, the car is at a yard that takes in damaged/totals cars and resells them to "dealers, body shops and wholesalers" but they sell to anyone. The majority of the damage seems to only be cosmetic, something I'd be willing to fix or live with. Not sure is anything mechanical or electrical is damaged, hopefully, nothing too serious. Overall the vehicle seems to be a steal at $7250 if the damage is light, but there are some obvious concerns I'd like to ask
Should specify the stats:
2.0L with turbo, 37K miles,
Link to photos of the vehicle: Pictures of the car
  • Salvage title
    • Obviously very sketchy and unreliable. Not sure if that alone is enough to turn away, or if my insurance will want to cover it.
  • Damage
    • First glance looks like a simple bumper/hood replace, but I defiantly need to know what to look for. If I get a chance to see the vehicle, I'd want to start it, test drive, and visually inspect the front end (maybe underneath too).
    • I did a rough estimate of parts that need to be replaced, front bumper, hood, possible radiator
    • One of the pics shows the engine bay, looks fairly good, but it sort of seems like there isn't a radiator. Which could be nothing, or a clue of how bad the collision was and a sign to stay away.
  • It's a manual, nothing wrong with that, but I've never driving stick. But I'd be more than willing to learn, I know the basics but never had any practice.

·
Registered
461 Posts
The radiator support frame is collapsed into the air box. More than cosmetic. Fixable still, but not as easy as you are thinking. The ST is a lot of car.

·
Registered
92 Posts
If your willing to fix it have the money and time then do it because finding an st that's low mile and cheap is not an easy task but also since its salvage it might be harder to insure depending how old you are. I'm graduating this year as well and the focus has been a great car to me so to me this would be worth it.

·
Banned
1,973 Posts
If I was graduating high school I would get the best reliable car I could get. Buy something a little later on in life that is fun.

The damage doesn't seem that bad.
Just a rough estimate if you were paying a body shop to fix that maybe $3,000 could be more.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15 Posts
Pushed mine to 98+ k and had the clutch done just before going out on time. If you learn how to drive it, the so called trans problem is of no concern. Hell even my wife's 17 good to go with 38k on it.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts