Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2002 ZX3 while driving the car it completely stopped, tested the Battery its in great condition, checked starter its in great condition, put in a new clutch safety switch and its works, finally found a problem but I cant figure it out, when remove the clutch/brake solenoid cap from the reservoir i can start the car, when i place it back into the reservoir the car shuts down, its acting totally opposite of what it should be doing, i took the cap off and i can start the car if i push the float up thats inside the cap it shuts off and as soon as i let it go and it falls to the down position the car will allow me to start it, and i also replaced that cap with a new one, any help would be great

·
Registered
521 Posts
That's pretty wild, man. I can't do it today, but I'll take a cruise through the schematics and let you know if anything stands out.

Edit: For now just run it with that harness pulled off. Sounds like that's working. Brake light will be on, no big deal.

Toby

·
Registered
521 Posts
It's hard for me to imagine what would cause this. If the brake fluid is low, the float switch closes and grounds out the brake warning light to G1 -- same ground as the PCM, IMRC, mass airflow sensor, power steering pressure switch, and vehicle speed sensor. It looks like the ground for the under-hood relays also splices in there, but they might also ground to G8.

I would check for a short between the two terminals on the plug that goes into the float. Do that with the negative terminal off the battery. Also take the disconnected float, push the float up to simulate a full reservoir, and check for a short between those terminals. You might have another electrical issue elsewhere in the car, with voltage short circuiting through the float.

Toby

1 - 4 of 4 Posts