Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Flat Black King
8,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone give me step by step instructions on how to get the alternator out the easiest way. I looked at the how-to but its for a zetec and i read on here u have to unbolt the motor mount. I need help with it so can someone point me in the right direction

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
I replaced mine. Simple. I was able to pull it out the top with no other changes necessary. Couple of bolts, a plug...remove.

·
Flat Black King
8,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i unbolted it and everything but the belt is holding it in and i cant get it out

·
FF PHOTOG ENTHUSIAST
15,097 Posts
Well ... I came by focusfreak09's home and I have to say over my car ... this Alternator was actually more of a pain to get out. from the front yeah ... but even smaller space.

Well I helped him get it out ... he just didn't know about the belt tensioner (in the middle of your focus design).

-Ray-

·
Flat Black King
8,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yea it was a pain but we got it. now i need to check the battery

·
Flat Black King
8,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well when i had the car off with radio on it wouldnt start. New battery but wouldnt start. At night when driving my dash lights would dim when slowing dwn and get brighter when going fast. headlights would blink. took it to autozone and they said it was bad?

·
Registered
471 Posts
Ohhh... it seems like i am getting there. Slowly but gettings there. You had any vibrations by any chance associated with dimming of the lights ?? Ever pay attention?

·
Flat Black King
8,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i dont think so if it was it was the engine trying to stay on but dont remember

·
#MattinglyBuilt
3,111 Posts
I had just done my alternator on my 03 Spi just the other day which was friday i believe. It wasnt hard at all, just disconect the negative on the battery, then relieve the belt tensioner. Take out the three bolts holding in the alternater after you have disconected all the wiring that is on it. I pulled the alt out the top and pretty much the same routine when installing the new one. After all the bolts on the new one are on you look for the square on the belt tensioner. You should be able to fit a socket into the square and cranker down till you have the belt back on... Hook up the battery and your all set.

·
Flat Black King
8,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i know but the alternator is big and didnt fit for us. it took us about an hour to get it out and like 10 minutes to put the new one

·
Registered
471 Posts
Did you guys have to unscrew the bolts holding the Powersteering line to the header cover ? I read that in one of the instructions recently.

·
Flat Black King
8,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
no no. all u have to do is unbolt the alternator, use the belt tensioner and get the belt off the alternator then try to take it out. same process but backwards when putting the new one in

·
Flat Black King
8,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
it wasnt really that long it took about an hour to put it in then maybe like 30 minutes to hook it up

·
#MattinglyBuilt
3,111 Posts
It took me only about 30 minutes to do the whole thing, the alternater come right out the top, maybe im lucky but i was kinda just rippin it outta there. It had a hard time going pass the headers and fans but it fits you just gotta show it whos boss and ripper out of there. The shrowd around the fan can flex just enough to fit it though...

·
Flat Black King
8,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
yea thats how we got it out but it took forever we had to use some pvc pipe and a crobar to get it out. FUN stuff

·
#MattinglyBuilt
3,111 Posts
Hmm,, well idk, I just muscled it out. Maybe mine has more room than yours.. Who knows.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts