Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm currently driving a Mazda MX6 (5 speed V6 with only 160hp). I'm looking at getting a 03 SVT Focus with all the option (HID, sunroof, winter package and audio upgrades), but wondering if anyone on the forum can give me a few pointer.

1. What is a reasonable price for a SVT Focus with all the option listed above?

2. What are some of the bugs (known problems) all SVT Focus owner have?

3. Did Ford agree to fix all of them free of charge?

4. Anyone have trouble with the stock tire in the snow? or snow tire is a must!?
(BTW I live in New England)

5. What is an A900 or A680 means on 03 Focus window stick?

Thank you all in advance

·
Registered
798 Posts
Well I was gonna tell you not to get the winter package, but if you deal with snow then you should get it. All the SVT's I see on the lot are always listed at $21,000.

·
Registered
7,241 Posts
focus said:
All the SVT's I see on the lot are always listed at $21,000.
Ditto. Seems like way too much to me. TE37, have you checked out http://www.edmunds.com yet? If you enter your zip code you can get prices that are tailored to your area. It's also a great site for getting information about different cars that you're looking at. Editorial reviews, customer reviews, pictures, comparisons, lost of stuff.

Have you looked at the Mazda 6 yet? That's around the same price depending on options and it's supposed to be a pretty darn good car. Better yet, the new Mazda 3 is based on the freshly redesigned European Focus chassis, and has good engine choices (up to 160hp I think and that's only 10 less than the SVT - and in a car that's still very lightweight) and I think the price is a lot more reasonable than the SVT Focus. Not that I have anything against the SVT, I love mine and would recommend it. I just saw that "Mazda" and started thinking about what they have to offer that's comparable to the Focus.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I got my SVT 5-door with all options except the HIDs for $16,700. Dealer incentive and SVT incentive subtracted from $22K sticker.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
I got my 3 door for 15,700 - SnapOn discount + military discount + two weeks of wheeling and dealing and walking away from the dealership/salesman.

·
Registered
7,241 Posts
Hey TE37, if you can get one slightly used, you will save enormously over that $21,000 sticker price. I bought mine in January 2003, and the car was manufactured in May of 2002. So it was less than one year old when I bought it from a non-Ford dealer. After trade-in the price was somewhere between 13,500 and 14,000 I think. The car had 10,000 miles on it, and was still like new, no dents, new car smell, etc. Something to consider if that sticker price seems way too high...

·
Registered
123 Posts
If your looking to buy a new car here are some tips. I was a salesman for several years and this is what I tell everbody that asks me how to buy a car.

First thing the SVTF is a very nice car. I believe its a bit overpriced, but with the right dealing you fix that.

Go in with the guns armed. No what your trading if anything, and how much it is worth. Dont just go to edmunds and KBB.com. Go to the bank and ask to see the black book. Its the same book that your local dealership is going to be looking at. Dont be unreal either. If you feel your car is worth two thousand more than what the book says. Your car probably isn't worth that much. Emotional value. Get over it. You can get what you want for your trade if you work smart. I ussually tell poeple to go to KBB.com get the trade in value, retail value, wholesale value, and private party value, average them all togather and subtract about 1000 to 1500 and that is about where your dealer is going to offer. Its up to you to decide what is reasonable at that point. Just be realistic. They dont have to buy your car. Most times, they dont want your car in the first place. Good chance its going to be wholesaled and written off as a loss anyways.

Now once you have decided what your range is for the trade lets talk about the car you want to buy. The thing I would tell you since you have already decided on a particular and its probably sitting on the lot. Write down all of its options and get on KBB.com and edmunds.com and a few of the others and find invoice value of the car. This should be the easy part. Remember the invoice value is going to fluctuate depending on who gives it to you. And expect that your research is going to come up about five hundred dollers lower than what the actual invoice is. Not to say that those sites are wrong. They often times dont put in other factors. Like Dealer advertising cost or shipping. Depending on the dealership they let the DAC go some do some dont. Now once you have done your research its time to wheel and deal. Right now is a good time to deal, cause the dealer wants to get rid of all the 2003 models on his lot. Cause right now they are costing him money. Probably to the tune of close to 50-100 dollers a week per car. So that being said ask for the world your first time out. They are not going to do it, but it sets a tone to work with. I ussually tell poeple start 500 under the invoice. Keep in mind at this point your salesperson is not making money. The dealership is, the sales person is not. But he will get a x on the board and his mini. Your goal is to stay under $100 over the invoice. Dont forget to ask for the invoice of the car you wanting to buy. And dont say any numbers till you see it. Dont talk about numbers dont say yes or no to ANYTHING till you have that INvoice in your hands. Sitting between you and the salesperson. Keep aware of your discounts too. All numbers you talk are BEFORE your discounts. DONT let them pull "That number is after discounts, right?" Crap. Now I sold Toyota, I now what kind of a mark up in those. I dont know about Ford. When I bought the Focus I told the Sales person from the get go what I was going to pay and he had the choice to deal with me or not. I paid 100 over invoice. Might be generous from some of you folks. But I dont want to leave the sales person broke either. That paid him a mini. But I made the deal easy for him. It took less than 30 minutes to buy my car. So thats not bad. He made 100 dollers for 30 minutes worth of work.

ANother tip. Dont try bullshitting them either. Remember your trying to bullshit a professional. A guy that gets paid to do this. He has heard it all, and seen it all. Your story is not unique. Just stay profesional, and stern, you dont need to get all pissy with them. Just stay stern and voice what you want. And keep to it. Decide before going in what a acceptable range in price is within a few hundred dollers and shoot for it. If you go it talking thousands of dollers, dont worry you wont be in any danger of buying a car that day.

They also understand that most poeple walk into a dealership scared. And intimidated. If you find a good dealership they will understand that and try to turn your thinking around. Alot of dealerships are understanding this and are starting to retrain there poeple to sell in new ways that will bring the public eye of a Salesperson to a positive light. But if you dont keep it positive they wont be either. They are poeple too you know.

Hope this helps. Good luck at the table. Let us know what happens.

·
Registered
12 Posts
TE37 said:

4. Anyone have trouble with the stock tire in the snow? or snow tire is a must!?
(BTW I live in New England)
Get winter tires!!! You can not get around with the Conti's on, found that out the very hard way last november. Ended up getting Michelin Arctic Alpins. They worked great.

As for sticker, last November they were clearing out the '02s up here in NH. My gf got hers for $15k I believe with everything but Audiophile (* note '02 had no HID). That is with college grad discount only, no dealing.

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
I didn't get a good deal but I saw one one http://autotrader.com with 12,000 miles for $12,000. That's a steal. TCS & heated seats may not be necessary but ABS is good for all climates.
There are 4 radios available with the new Ford Focus; AM / FM Stereo / Cassette, AM / FM Stereo with single CD player, AM / FM Stereo with single CD player & MP3 player, AM/FM stereo with 6-disc in-dash CD player, AM / FM Stereo in dash 6 disc CD player with Audiophile system.
You seem to know exactly what you want so you might have to get one from the factory.
I recommend the Euro package if you can get it.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Many times on ebay i see dealers selling euro-spec svts(the only one i'd buy) for about 18,000. That's a dirt cheap price, only downside is you have to pick it up. Most of the larger ebay dealers go out of flordia, tx, and socal. But seriously, the euro-spec is fawking god. I would had saved a bunch of money going that way. Comes with HIDS, sunroof, RECARO racing seats, body kit, 17x7 argent multispoke wheels, audiophile sound system, heated seats/mirrors/engine block. Most of the dealers around here sell the euro for 20-21, and the regular for about 17.5-19.5k.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Got Mine in 02 (November) at an SVT dealer about an hour from my house. I totally agree with beowulf about asking for the sky and seeing what they will do. I played fax wars with three dealers in NC, GA, and Tennessee before even SETTING foot on the dealer's lot. Also, some of the more inscrupulous dealer's might try to tell you SVT's don't get discount's and that's just bull..........walk away (at least for the time being :) I ended up getting my 02 SVT with everything but the winter package (no traction control woohoo!) for 14,000 flat. I settled on most of this before going but when I got there I convinced them to throw in the Focus roof rack I saw on the showroom model and a Ford Racing front strut tower bar before it was all said and done. My point is............you can get a great deal if you tip the scale in your favor and just do your homework. My experience was that this dealer was having a hard time moving the car it seemed (even took it home for the night) and was in a small town. I bought it the last day of February and we closed the deal after hours when I brought it back and they pretty much were waiting for me to go home :) Oh yeah, try and line up your own financing BEFORE you talk about anything (but like Beowulf said), I 'd keep it ALL to myself until you settle on price.

As a final note...........make the dealer subtract the 1) window etching (this is a money maker for them) 2) Destination Fee (they are given money by Ford for this which includes the cost to clean it up)

-Later

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you all for your comments. The first time I was there they already show me their invoice price, which is around 18,300 and that was before the Ford rebate (2k right now). I'm going to the dealer next week so I'll let everyone know how it goes. BTW [geekspeed] is it possible if you can scan and send or fax me your sales contact showing the price of the car? (of course you should black out all your personal info.] I want to go into the dealer with some fire power.

or maybe anyone else that are willing to help me out.

Again thanks for the response! PPL in this Forum is awesome!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts